Engine On Bicycle

luckyluke

Why would you want to do that with so many cheap and SAFE small bikes around?

Of course it's possible, this is Thailand (Asia actually).

The result would probably be illegal, certainly lethal (think bicycle brakes) and liable to get you locked up :o

If you're so desperate for a bicycle with an engine, find an old (or even a new) Solex.

Why would you want to do that with so many cheap and SAFE small bikes around?

Of course it's possible, this is Thailand (Asia actually).

The result would probably be illegal, certainly lethal (think bicycle brakes) and liable to get you locked up :o

If you're so desperate for a bicycle with an engine, find an old (or even a new) Solex.

Thanks,i am looking for a Solex(see my topic of today 2:52:35),can you please tell me the name of a safe small bike(i only find 100 cc but not less than that)

I actually did this when I was a kid.

I used a Norman Nippy engine (friction wheel drive) in the front carrier of my old 28 inch 'Speedwell' push bike. Ran the exhaust down alongside one of the front forks, made the clutch lever latchable, converted a Sturmy Archer thumb gear change to use as the throttle, put a cardboard box over the engine...could do about 40 to 50 miles per hour but was a bit dangerous at that speed. Bloody great fun though.

I used a Norman Nippy engine (friction wheel drive) in the front carrier of my old 28 inch 'Speedwell' push bike. Ran the exhaust down alongside one of the front forks, made the clutch lever latchable, converted a Sturmy Archer thumb gear change to use as the throttle, put a cardboard box over the engine...could do about 40 to 50 miles per hour but was a bit dangerous at that speed. Bloody great fun though.

Did you used to watch "McGuiver" perchance?...

100cc is a small bike in my dictionary :o

Some interesting stuff here http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~pattle/nacc/arc0393.htm on the Bugatti cyclemotor which may give you some ideas although the Bugatti was only 10.6cc and replaced the pedals so removing the backup power source.

You may have some success if you use a weed trimmer motor (30cc ish) likely to be safer (less power) and easier to mount.

There will still be issues of registration and insurance though, as a foreigner you're not going to get away with it like a Thai would.

I spotted your other thread, there have been Solex and small engined bikes for sale in the past so you never know your luck :D

Did you used to watch "McGuiver" perchance?...

This was long before the days of McGuiver. :o

Is it possible please to install a 49 cc engine on a bicycle,many thanks.

Hi,

I've been motoring around Thailand (Nakhonsitammarat) for two years now on my motorised bicycle. I've got a couple and I've driven up to the far corner of Yunnan with my wife using them as transport. Easy to cross borders with, no registration issues, easy to load onto buses and possible to load onto planes.

I had never thought of a motorised bicycle as a good idea due to the fact most motorised bicycles were driven by a friction roller onto the back wheel. Others were home made based on a chain drive.

It wasn't until I came across a small company who had invented a belt driven wheel using a spoke, clip-on drive ring. Loved the idea straight away so I ordered a couple of these rings, gears and belts over the internet. I bought a standard honda 31cc 4 stroke from a local Thai store and had the local motor bike mechanic help me put it together.

Check out their site at www.goldeneagle.com. Today the company is using a heavier duty belt so you could probably get away with mounting a 50 cc engine if you really don't want to pedal up hills much.

Both my bikes can move along at 50 km/h in most flat conditions. That's enough speed for a bicycle. Brakes are no problem on a good mountain bike which is designed for stopping riders speeding downhill.

Still if your interested, the whole thing is only a fraction cheaper than getting a small 100cc motorcycle.

You definitely do stand out riding a motorised bicycle in Thailand. I've had a pickup truck full of cops all cheering me along and driving side-by-side with me. No matter where I go I'm drawing far more attention on the bike than any other form of transportation and all of it has been very friendly.

With hills you have to put in too. It's probably the only chance most of us will ever know what it would be like to be like Lance Armstrong powering up a mountain.

Anyway, overall it's a lot of fun, simple and reliable. Especially good if you want to travel throughout Asia with little to know problems unlike with registered vehicles.

Goodluck.

I couldn't get the Golden eagle link to work, but Mr Google was my friend :-

http://www.bikeengines.com/robin25info.htm

Looks like fun, but not cheap by the time you've imported the beast :o

Wonder if they have a Thai distributor.

Kit without engine only weighs 6.5lbs http://www.bikeengines.com/mountonly.htm more shipable :D

Those engines look exactly like the ones on weed trimmers, got to be readily available here :D

Edited by Crossy

Waaay back in 1959 in the UK I had a bicycle with an engine but I have no idea what make it was.

What I do remember is that the insurance cost me 12/6d or about 45 baht a YEAR. ###### thing kept breaking down and in the end I threw it away.

Is it possible please to install a 49 cc engine on a bicycle,many thanks.

Hi,

I've been motoring around Thailand (Nakhonsitammarat) for two years now on my motorised bicycle. I've got a couple and I've driven up to the far corner of Yunnan with my wife using them as transport. Easy to cross borders with, no registration issues, easy to load onto buses and possible to load onto planes.

I had never thought of a motorised bicycle as a good idea due to the fact most motorised bicycles were driven by a friction roller onto the back wheel. Others were home made based on a chain drive.

It wasn't until I came across a small company who had invented a belt driven wheel using a spoke, clip-on drive ring. Loved the idea straight away so I ordered a couple of these rings, gears and belts over the internet. I bought a standard honda 31cc 4 stroke from a local Thai store and had the local motor bike mechanic help me put it together.

Check out their site at www.goldeneagle.com. Today the company is using a heavier duty belt so you could probably get away with mounting a 50 cc engine if you really don't want to pedal up hills much.

Both my bikes can move along at 50 km/h in most flat conditions. That's enough speed for a bicycle. Brakes are no problem on a good mountain bike which is designed for stopping riders speeding downhill.

Still if your interested, the whole thing is only a fraction cheaper than getting a small 100cc motorcycle.

You definitely do stand out riding a motorised bicycle in Thailand. I've had a pickup truck full of cops all cheering me along and driving side-by-side with me. No matter where I go I'm drawing far more attention on the bike than any other form of transportation and all of it has been very friendly.

With hills you have to put in too. It's probably the only chance most of us will ever know what it would be like to be like Lance Armstrong powering up a mountain.

Anyway, overall it's a lot of fun, simple and reliable. Especially good if you want to travel throughout Asia with little to know problems unlike with registered vehicles.

Goodluck.

What an interesting story, sounds like you have some great times ! is there any chance of a photo of your bike sometime ?