metalsheet VS concrete roof tiles

JestSetter

We are told (know) that concrete stores energy more than metal, but we also know that rain on metalsheet makes noise. Not sure how effective the bubble wrapping is at lowering the noise, but it should help a little.

I also know that it cost more to spray or insulate the 2 slopes of the roof than the smaller surface area of the roof floor. If one were to insulate the 2 slopes, they would need to make sure than the heat NEVER infiltrates inside the roof, which might be costlier and heavier than if you did at the roof floor or into the drop ceiling area. I know they use a drop ceiling here in LOS. I am not clear as to how one can put (fibreglass) insulation --and enough of it-- inside the drop ceiling area, preventing thermal bridging of the metal trusses into the living space. I also need to insulate the living area from noise (planes, dogs, birds,...) and the roof would be the weak link considering I plan to have double walls and a room-within-a-room set up for the bedroom.The insulation in the roof would help, but noise insulation also requires mass.  I am not so concerned about noise during the day as I can cover it with music. Our ears are less sensitive during the day as well.

It also seems to me that the metal sheet looks cheap, but concrete tiles might be more expensive. The tiles are not made out of asbestos. Right? The concrete tiles are more durable in the event of hail as well and last longer. Not sure which leaks the most, but I have friends that have leaks with concrete tiles. I have no information about leakage with metal sheet although I hear that in some set up the rubber of the screw can harden and let water in. warranty of Bluescope is 12 years for some of their cheaper product to 20, but the cost is quite high then. Still, if the insulation is put in the roof of the floor is sufficient and no thermal bridging can occur from the metal trusses, then concrete tiles might be okay. I am concerned about leaks, but this might be an installation issue.

Your thoughts?

PS: I could not find a threat that specifically talked about this, but I am sure that this has been broached in the past. If you do know of a thread, please let me know so as to avoid duplication. 

We installed a light cream coloured metal verandah around the whole house a few years back, from BlueScope, the version with insulation package already well fixed on the underside (not bubblewrap).

It stops 90% of the noise from rain, colour and insulation still in perfect condition. 

• Like 1

Yeah, the stuff with insulation already applied is quiet.

If you like to look of the Bluescope then you can save some on the roof structure as it's a lot lighter than concrete tiles. But remember you have to live with this roof for a long time, if you don't like the look you may live to regret using it.

• Thanks 1

Just about every house outside the metro area's in Australia have for the past 150+ years been roofed with steel - does that tell you anything about it's suitability. think your other questions have or will be answered.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JestSetter said:

Not sure how effective the bubble wrapping is at lowering the noise, but it should help a little.

I don't know of anyone using, or selling bubblewrap as insulation.

I am not clear as to how one can put (fibreglass) insulation --and enough of it-- inside the drop ceiling area, preventing thermal bridging of the metal trusses into the living space. I also need to insulate the living area from noise

I have done it, thermal bridging is not a factor. It also insulates against noise.

but noise insulation also requires mass.

Not automatically.

The tiles are not made out of asbestos.

Some probably are.

I have no information about leakage with metal sheet although I hear that in some set up the rubber of the screw can harden and let water in. warranty of Bluescope is 12 years for some of their cheaper product to 20, but the cost is quite high then. 

We have no screws that can let water in, the guarantee is 12 and 30 years, overall price is about the same as tile, installation for a little under 500 sq meters was 3 days, impossible with tile.

• Thanks 1

I have a white bluescope roof (thickest I could order) with the good insulation attached. Noise from rain is minimal, and the radiant barrier insulation is not warm to the touch even during the hottest part of a sunny day. In my experience cement tiles store and radiate heat and are not a good choice if you desire a cool living space.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

I don't know of anyone using, or selling bubblewrap as insulation

True. Neither do I. Its purpose is not heat insulation, it is soundproofing. I am trying to assess if it would do the trick.

I have done it, thermal bridging is not a factor. It also insulates against noise.

Oh! Fantastic news. Could you please tell me how they do it. 

Not automatically.

True. Mass is important for some frequencies and some situations and, as I mentioned, I have planes flying by and chickens and dogs and birds. Not sure which is worse! Oh! I forgot the local district PA blarring in the early part of the morning from time to time.  I did not mention that my living quarters and bedrooms are on the 2nd floor though. So, I do not have a full level and several layers of material like concrete and such to "block" the noise. (The bottom layer will be used and designed for 2 condo-like units for rental/Airbnb perhaps. But, I am using this website (https://www.soundproofingcompany.com/soundproof-ceilings/adding-green-glue-to-ceiling-assembly/) as a reference. I think you might find it interesting. I wonder how greenglue behaves in high temperature. Does it lose its property? Maybe one would need to seal the ends of the boards to maintain its elasticity/stickiness.

We have no screws that can let water in, the guarantee is 12 and 30 years, overall price is about the same as tile, installation for a little under 500 sq meters was 3 days, impossible with tile.

Good point about the installation time and of course the trusses do not need to be so expensive since the sheets are cheaper and lighter. Of course, adding spray foam would add to the weight a little. It all depends how thick that layers would be and how heavy some tiles are. 

You have no screws that can let water in? Did you cover them with something? Do you have solar panels? How did you manage that? It sounds interesting.

Personally I dont like steel sheet at all but it does have a great weatherproofing advantage over tiles.

I am not aware of anyone who has had tiles and not had roof leaks, not necessarily due to bad workmanship but more due to the fact that sarking is not part of the process.

My roof pitch is 40/45degrees and I still get rain finding its way in.

A house opposte has had at least 4 attempts to find leaks and spent a week removing every valley, ridge and hip and bedding everything back in morrtar.

They then used numerous jet sprayers for another three days cleaning off white mortar streaks after it rained.

Quite sure a steel roof is maintenance free

• Thanks 1

Have a look at HoloRoof ... we used it for our carport extension and it's not too noisy when it rains hard. I also used it for my shed roof. It's manufactured in Indonesia and imported by this company ... have a look at their Facebook page. If you are my way feel free to come and have a look. It seems to have very good heat reducing qualities ...

Look at their Facebook  July22nd and July 23rd ... you will see our carport and the inside of my shed ...?

Edited by JAS21

Unless the tiles are glazed by firing in a kiln, concrete tiles will always leak eventually. There is also the weight factor to consider.

The important thing with steel roofs is to have soffits so that there is no moisture entrapment. A well ventilated roof can last hundreds of years.

The Bluescope product is a very sophisticated combination of base steel, zinc/aluminium coating, and paint. It has been tested exhaustively in the field and with a range of accelerated tests.

Product life is dependent on factors such as proximity to a marine environment, and correct installation. I've seen galvanised roofing ( a much less sophisticated system ) in an arid environment over 100 years old still in good condition.