Fortune Plaza BKK question

RickG16

I have a problem with powering up my Samsung laptop (won't charge over 15% so I have to keep it plugged in). Pretty  sure this is a problem with the battery?

Anyway I will take it to Fortune Plaza today. Does anyone know of a good shop for general advice which would be able to replace the battery, or will I need to find an official Samsung shop?

Or am I best off going to Pantip Plaza?

Cheers 

Edited by RickG16

There are one or more specific battery replacement shops up on the 3rd or 4th floors of FortuneTown -- clearly marked by their signage.

Regarding Samsung, AFAIK, their official service center has been moved across the road to Central Rama 9 mall, 4th floor, I believe. I was there lately talking to them about replacement batteries for a Samsung mobile phone.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

There are one or more specific battery replacement shops up on the 3rd or 4th floors of FortuneTown -- clearly marked by their signage.

Regarding Samsung, AFAIK, their official service center has been moved across the road to Central Rama 9 mall, 4th floor, I believe. I was there lately talking to them about replacement batteries for a Samsung mobile phone.

Cheers mate very helpful. 

That's strange but I use Samsung  phones and have similar issues sometimes. Example.  I will charge my A5 and if shows just 2% battery but then I reboot it and it's on 97%.

Also what about the chargers etc you are using  same as always or is there a variable to consider?

I took an S6 uk unit into Samsung and got it fixed in thailand.  Good service. They tried to fob me off due to it being a uk unit but when I asked for the head honcho he sorted it.

2 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

That's strange but I use Samsung  phones and have similar issues sometimes. Example.  I will charge my A5 and if shows just 2% battery but then I reboot it and it's on 97%.

Also what about the chargers etc you are using  same as always or is there a variable to consider?

I took an S6 uk unit into Samsung and got it fixed in thailand.  Good service. They tried to fob me off due to it being a uk unit but when I asked for the head honcho he sorted it.

There's a chance it could be the charger I guess but an IT guy already told me it's probably the battery.

Usually I have the same attitude when a problem arises re: head honcho. Always go straight to the top! 

Just now, RickG16 said:

There's a chance it could be the charger I guess but an IT guy already told me it's probably the battery.

Usually I have the same attitude when a problem arises re: head honcho. Always go straight to the top! 

I normally just step in when it does not get the attention it deserves. Some people (anywhere) think they can answer anything as a means of solving it for them and not the customer. 

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Just make sure it is the battery before you go to one of those battery shops.

Because if it is the charger (outside or inside that notebook) you end up paying for battery and charger...

But the fact that the charger keeps it going (even if it only charges to 15%) suggests that the charger is OK?

Or have I misunderstood? 

I guess I could ask them to test the new battery and make sure?

Cheers

With Samsung, and many other manufacturer centers here, in terms of repair service, they'll generally only agree to service units that have been bought in Thailand -- not outside, even if from their own brand.

But, of course, they'll sell spare parts regardless, assuming they have a spare part that fits your particular unit.

I had a U.S. bought Samsung phone that needed some simple service a while back, and the Samsung service center here refused to even look at it, once they saw it was a U.S. model.  BTW, I don't mean they refused to honor a warranty, since it was no longer under warranty. I mean they refused to do even paid service for it.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

2 hours ago, RickG16 said:

But the fact that the charger keeps it going (even if it only charges to 15%) suggests that the charger is OK?

Or have I misunderstood? 

I guess I could ask them to test the new battery and make sure?

Cheers

Charging modern batteries is a complicated technology. It's not just it works or it does not work.

The fact that is gets charged at all means only that it is not completely broken - but that's about it.

Long time ago one of my customers used a wrong power supply. She used a device which was supposed to use 20V with a 12V power supply. And surprisingly it worked - at least for some time. Basically you need an expert to find out what exactly is wrong.

8 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

With Samsung, and many other manufacturer centers here, in terms of repair service, they'll generally only agree to service units that have been bought in Thailand -- not outside, even if from their own brand.

But, of course, they'll sell spare parts regardless, assuming they have a spare part that fits your particular unit.

I had a U.S. bought Samsung phone that needed some simple service a while back, and the Samsung service center here refused to even look at it, once they saw it was a U.S. model.

I think it's pretty easy: If you buy a device with international warrantee then normally you get that international warranty anywhere in this world. And if you buy a device without international warranty then don't expect to get such international warranty!

Many manufacturers offer different model series. I.e. Lenovo has ThinkPad notebooks for business with years of world wide warranty. But they also offer cheaper notebooks just with local warranty. You get what you pay for...

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I think it's pretty easy: If you buy a device with international warrantee then normally you get that international warranty anywhere in this world. And if you buy a device without international warranty then don't expect to get such international warranty!

With Samsung, I'm not aware that you get any choice of warranty type with their models of portable electronics. AFAIK, for the most part, it's basically the country where you made the purchase, period.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

34 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

With Samsung, I'm not aware that you get any choice of warranty type with their models of portable electronics. AFAIK, for the most part, it's basically the country where you made the purchase, period.

I got a six month shop warranty on a new original Samsung laptop battery (I have a pretty old model).

Cost 1800 baht (a copy would have cost 1000 baht but probably not last as long. Sounded reasonable - anyone think I've been ripped off?

23 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

I got a six month shop warranty on a new original Samsung laptop battery (I have a pretty old model).

Cost 1800 baht (a copy would have cost 1000 baht but probably not last as long. Sounded reasonable - anyone think I've been ripped off?

Did you buy from the Samsung service shop? Or one of the 3rd party sellers?

If it solves your laptop charging problem, I'd say it's money well spent.

When I was talking to the Samsung service shop in Rama 9 about the replacement mobile phone battery for a J7 model, their price for their own replacement battery was in the 800-900 baht range. And I'm presuming the laptop battery is a bigger one than the 3000 mAh phone one.

5 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Did you buy from the Samsung service shop? Or one of the 3rd party sellers?

If it solves your laptop charging problem, I'd say it's money well spent.

When I was talking to the Samsung service shop in Rama 9 about the replacement mobile phone battery for a J7 model, their price for their own replacement battery was in the 800-900 baht range. And I'm presuming the laptop battery is a bigger one than the 3000 mAh phone one.

3rd party seller, but apparently it is the place where everyone else in the Fortune Plaza gets their Samsung laptop batteries from - this information was the result of some plodding up and down and comparing prices.