Thumbnails

Gandtee

I am trying to move thumbnails from Windows 10 to a memory stick. But when moved they show up as icons not thumbnails. I've searched google which has plenty of advice but not for my problem. Any advice please. Make it simple for as an octogenarian my memory storage capacity has been overloaded and works not as sharp as it once did.   

Thumbnails are micro-pictures which represent your real pictures.

The idea about them is that if you have i.e. a folder with 100 pictures that they give you a visual overview right away when you open the folder.

If you add new pictures Windows creates new thumbnails for above reason.

I don't know if you can somehow move thumbnails to another folder. But what sense would it make?

If you move only the thumbnails then you see the micro-pictures but there wouldn't be a possibility to click on them to open the big pictures.

And if you want to save storage space the thumbnails are tiny. Maybe 100 of them use as much space as a small picture.

I think you can set somewhere in Windows if it should create thumbnails at all. But that is probably different in different Windows versions.

7 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Thumbnails are micro-pictures which represent your real pictures.

The idea about them is that if you have i.e. a folder with 100 pictures that they give you a visual overview right away when you open the folder.

If you add new pictures Windows creates new thumbnails for above reason.

I don't know if you can somehow move thumbnails to another folder. But what sense would it make?

If you move only the thumbnails then you see the micro-pictures but there wouldn't be a possibility to click on them to open the big pictures.

And if you want to save storage space the thumbnails are tiny. Maybe 100 of them use as much space as a small picture.

I think you can set somewhere in Windows if it should create thumbnails at all. But that is probably different in different Windows versions.

Thanks for the reply. I want to move them from the Pictures folder to a memory stick. I can move them but they don't show up as thumbnails. Just the number of the photo, which makes it very difficult to find the one you are searching for.

54 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

Thanks for the reply. I want to move them from the Pictures folder to a memory stick. I can move them but they don't show up as thumbnails. Just the number of the photo, which makes it very difficult to find the one you are searching for.

I don't think you can just move the thumbnails.

You can move the pictures. Maybe if you do this the thumbnails will also be automatically moved or they will be created new in the new location.

Make sure you select the picture view in Windows Explorer so that you see the pictures (thumbnails).

Suggest it would be safer to use "copy" and "Paste" rather than "cut" and "Paste" in case it does not achieve the object.  The OP can always delete later when happy.

I agree the folder option is the best solution. 

Maybe also make sure the USB is in NTFS rather than FAT32/Ex FAT format depending on the system/programmes involved!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scottiejohn said:

Suggest it would be safer to use "copy" and "Paste" rather than "cut" and "Paste" in case it does not achieve the object.  The OP can always delete later when happy.

I agree the folder option is the best solution. 

Maybe also make sure the USB is in NTFS rather than FAT32/Ex FAT format depending on the system/programmes involved!

Thankyou. I tried the cut and paste method on just one thumbnail and the result was the same. I'll try your method. Thanks to those who have made suggestions.

May or may not be pertinent but what extension are these files, and or what programme were they created in and are you trying to use them in?  

PS; As has been said above.  A thumbnail is not the same as a full photo.  Can you confirm you are copying a "photo" or  something else.  Hence my question re "extension".  If you wish PM me for an off the public bit of help.

Edited by scottiejohn

3 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

May or may not be pertinent but what extension are these files, and or what programme were they created in and are you trying to use them in?  

PS; As has been said above.  A thumbnail is not the same as a full photo.  Can you confirm you are copying a "photo" or  something else.  Hence my question re "extension".  If you wish PM me for an off the public bit of help.

I'll be on my way back to Thailand shortly and will contact you then. Thankyou