Early Breakfast?

timpatco

> Yep, I reckon so . . . . the clue was in the wording: toilet paper

Aaahh.. that got lost in translation then, on the way from 'toilet paper' to 'kradaht tissue' and ending up on the breakfast table. :D

(In the toilet we of course use a bamboo stick.)

Oh my, aren't we posh - bamboo stick . . . ? a bamboo stick . . . ? how I yearn for the luxury of a bamboo stick - we have to keep one fingernail grown long for our ablutions.

AND you have a breakfast table . . . . oh please don't get me started . . . :o

JxP :D

I would hope the pancakes are served hot with the butter on the side. The syrup could be warmed in just a few seconds in a microwave. Hot syrup could have easily been the saving grace for those cool pancakes this morning.

It's possible that they are unaware of your western standards in regards to pancakes. Instead of writing about it here, did you say something to someone there? In my experience, most Thais don't really care about the temperature of food, and they would not thought of heating the syrup.. Butter is an option, too.

Edited by Ajarn

Sojo's is run by Christians from the Southern USA and a lot of the food is popular in that area.

They are well aware of how Western food should be served, but seem to mostly let the Thai staff run the place.

The truth is that the quality of the food is way above normal for Thailand and the staff try quite hard to do a good job, even though there are slip-ups.

I get along well with them and always tip and they don't seem to mind me telling them exactly how I want my food prepared and what condiments I need with it and what order to bring it out.

I pretty much do this at every Western restaurant that I go to regularly, because one gets too many unwelcome suprises otherwise.

If you want excellent service, go to Art Cafe and demand to be served by Lucky. She is a darling little thing who is very clever and does her best to get your order exactly how you like it. She might not get it right the first time that you go, but she learns what you want and takes great pride in giving it to you. She even comes over to check that you got the right order and that it is cooked as you like it.

Art Cafe's breakfasts can't be beat if you are American or like buttermilk pancakes, seven grain french toast, cinnamon rolls or big omelets!

Sojo's is run by Christians from the Southern USA and a lot of the food is popular in that area.

They are well aware of how Western food should be served, but seem to mostly let the Thai staff run the place.

The truth is that the quality of the food is way above normal for Thailand and the staff try quite hard to do a good job, even though there are slip-ups.

I get along well with them and always tip and they don't seem to mind me telling them exactly how I want my food prepared and what condiments I need with it and what order to bring it out.

I pretty much do this at every Western restaurant that I go to regularly, because one gets too many unwelcome suprises otherwise.

If you want excellent service, go to Art Cafe and demand to be served by Lucky. She is a darling little thing who is very clever and does her best to get your order exactly how you like it. She might not get it right the first time that you go, but she learns what you want and takes great pride in giving it to you. She even comes over to check that you got the right order and that it is cooked as you like it.

Art Cafe's breakfasts can't be beat if you are American or like buttermilk pancakes, seven grain french toast, cinnamon rolls or big omelets!

i think they have just opened a new branch out by the world gym ,grace school area . dont know if it is the same people but i believe it is :o

It's possible that they are unaware of your western standards in regards to pancakes. Instead of writing about it here, did you say something to someone there?

No Ajarn, I didn't say anything to the wait staff at SoJos about wanting my pancakes (or any dish) served hot.

I concluded that since the person(s) was employed in an establishment that caters to a predominately farang customer base (I didn't see any Thai customers while I was there) that they must have some knowledge serving pancakes to farangs at farang standards.

I wouldn't go into a place here that served ice cream and tell the waitress to be sure to serve it to me cold. I tend to give the staff some credit to figure it out for themselves. Maybe that is my downfall.

In my experience, most Thais don't really care about the temperature of food, and they would not thought of heating the syrup..

This may be true. A lot of farangs would not / do not think about heating the syrup either.

Butter is an option, too.

I have to disagree with you on this one. Not when it comes to pancakes. An option? Just no way.

As I stated in my first post here, the staff there just need a little adjustment on their service to make SoJos a fantastic dining experience. In fact, I'll go so far to say that if they just improved their speed and their time management skills that it would make a world of difference. For instance, the waitress wrapping the silverware while people are waiting out front for service could certainly benefit from a tutorial in situational awareness 101.

Nothing I tasted or experienced on my first visit would cause me NOT to return for at least one more try. I'll give them a few weeks and return for an omelet.

Nothing I tasted or experienced on my first visit would cause me NOT to return for at least one more try. I'll give them a few weeks and return for an omelet.

Act like you would if you were being served by a simple-minded person back home. TELL them exactly what you want and how you want it.

THIS IS THAILAND! :o

Act like you would if you were being served by a simple-minded person back home. TELL them exactly what you want and how you want it.

THIS IS THAILAND! :o

That's good advice, and don't be a Sally.

THIS IS THAILAND! :D

Do you think I should specify that I want my omelet made with eggs and served up hot? :o

Do you think I should specify that I want my omelet made with eggs and served up hot? :o

might be wise to suggest that they dont drown it in fish sauce :D

Our niece picks me up a packet of 12 freshly made doughnuts (the ones with tit "ole)..total cost 20 baht...from the market in Samut Prakan and those do me for a week of breakfasts (2 a day) ...plus loads of coffee...thats enough.....anything heavier and i fall over..... :o

Our niece picks me up a packet of 12 freshly made doughnuts (the ones with tit "ole)..total cost 20 baht...from the market in Samut Prakan and those do me for a week of breakfasts (2 a day) ...plus loads of coffee...thats enough.....anything heavier and i fall over..... :o

Same same here as the last poster, sort of ...

I enjoy breakfast in the quiet of the morning. I don't need to eat too much, but like to get a good, relaxed start on the day, listening to nothing much more than the birds.

I am impressed by the extraversion of a person who likes a hearty breakfast in the company of strangers !

I eat breakfast at home, usually. Here are a few easy options :

Toasted wholewheat bread with Vegemite ( :D or other spread

Yoghurt (some good flavours here)

Bacon (that wonderful smell)

Eggs (omelet with a little finely chopped green pepper, onion and cheese/whatever else lurks in your frige.)

Fried egg sandwich with Worcestershire sauce

Fruit

Fruit juice

Coffee/tea

I'd love a good quality English language paper to go with that, but probably the birds are better.

Avocado on toast is delicious, too, but where to buy the avocados in CM ?

Kasem store, Rimping, Worarot mkt.. and Miquels Restaurant. They are around now, which is surprising when the local market here for them is around August, as I recall

Do you think I should specify that I want my omelet made with eggs and served up hot? :D

might be wise to suggest that they dont drown it in fish sauce :D

I prefer mine without sugar also. :o

Avocado on toast is delicious, too, but where to buy the avocados in CM ?

Kasem store, Rimping, Worarot mkt.. and Miquels Restaurant. They are around now, which is surprising when the local market here for them is around August, as I recall

There were lots of the very large variety, the name escapes me, in Mae Sai last week.