Amazon and VPN

khunkeith

I have an Amazon Prime account and many shows and movies are blocked from being shown in Thailand because of copy rights.  I subscribed to a 30 day free trial with Nord VPN and it worked great watching shows on my laptop.  Suddenly 3 days ago, if my VPN is enabled, I am blocked from logging on Amazon.  I wanted to test the VPN before installing it on my router so I would be able to use my Smart TV and watch things ( I am now connected to the TV with a HDMI cable).  Any suggestions on a VPN that would work,  the only reason I have for a VPN is to use Amazon Prime. 

thanks

update.   chatted with NORD just now.  Amazon is blocking NORD.  NORD is trying to fix the problem.  I think I will cancel NORD and use another VPN    Any suggestions from anyone here that watches Amazon Prime?

NORD is one of the better ranked VPNs around.

It doesn't matter which VPN you use, in time that VPN can be blocked. Amazon will determine the IP address ranges of any or all VPNs and block as they see fit for whatever reason they choose.

Amazon is protecting someone's (or their copyright) so you'll have to get pretty creative to get that content.

I refuse to do business with Amazon but I would bet if I opened an account with them and then a few days later logged in through my VPN (I run my own VPN) I would be blocked quickly.

1 hour ago, jmd8800 said:

NORD is one of the better ranked VPNs around.

It doesn't matter which VPN you use, in time that VPN can be blocked. Amazon will determine the IP address ranges of any or all VPNs and block as they see fit for whatever reason they choose.

Amazon is protecting someone's (or their copyright) so you'll have to get pretty creative to get that content.

I refuse to do business with Amazon but I would bet if I opened an account with them and then a few days later logged in through my VPN (I run my own VPN) I would be blocked quickly.

I talked with a friend in the Philippines.  he said Amazon does the same with his VPN regularly and usually within a week, it is working again. 

1 hour ago, jmd8800 said:

On 9/2/2018 at 11:42 AM, khunkeith said:

I talked with a friend in the Philippines.  he said Amazon does the same with his VPN regularly and usually within a week, it is working again. 

It is a cat and mouse game. When you get a new VPN IP address then Amazon notes it and blocks it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

fyi, according to a couple of the prominent DNS services I was talking to this week, Amazon recently made some technical changes to their U.S. Prime Video site that effectively disabled a lot of VPN services that previously had been working. Part of their continuing campaign to block access to customers using VPNs.

The VPN support staff I spoke with said their various services are working on trying to combat the changes made by Amazon, but thus far, hadn't had any success.

I can just add, my current main VPN provider continues to have at least some of their servers that work fine for Amazon. If anyone needs more info about that, feel free to PM me here.

But beyond that, I'm also looking for a 2nd/backup VPN provider that's going to be compatible with Amazon Prime. I always keep two just in case something happens along the way with one.  But right now, I haven't been able to find/test a second provider that's working right now with Amazon Prime despite going thru trials with several providers.

So if anyone can recommend one that currently (right now) is working with U.S. Amazon Prime, please PM me also. The one biggie that I haven't tested yet is Express VPN. In chat, their reps claim they are compatible, but those assurances from frontline VPN staff often are not worth anything, and you only find out the reality once you've subscribed.  Fortunately, a lot of the majors these days are offering 30-day money back guarantees.