Commander Of Highway Police To Stamp Out Bribe-taking Among Officers

Jai Dee

Commander of Highway Police to stamp out bribe-taking among officers

The Commander of the Highway Police affirms that he attempt to do away with bribe taking among highway patrol officers to create a positive image for the police force.

The Commander of the Highway Police, Pol Maj Gen Weerapong Chiunpakdee (วีรพงษ์ ชื่นภักด), traveled to deliver operational policy to more than 50 ranking highway police in Ayutthaya province early this morning (February 8). Pol Maj Gen Weerapong revealed that Highway Police would need to foster a positive working image to the public, and that he aimed to reduce bribe taking among officers in accordance with Interim Royal Thai Police Commissioner General Pol Gen Seripisut Temiyawet's (เสรีพิศุทธิ์ เตมียาเวช) policy.

The Royal Thai Police Commissioner General has set a policy of zero bribe taking, gambling, and influential figures in all areas as these elements caused public burden.

Pol Maj Gen Weerapong said that he would follow these directives and would also instruct officers to focus on counter narcotic operations as latest reports indicates that a large quantity of marijuana is streaming into Thailand from neighboring countries.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 08 Febuary 2007

The Commander of the Highway Police affirms that he attempt to do away with bribe taking among highway patrol officers to create a positive image for the police force.

How?

Apparently the new man in charge of the Police is quite well known for being super clean. I imagine this is a way of an underling 1) trying to get into his good books and perhaps 2) not losing one's job. :o

The Commander of the Highway Police, Pol Maj Gen Weerapong Chiunpakdee (วีรพงษ์ ชื่นภักด), traveled to deliver operational policy to more than 50 ranking highway police in Ayutthaya province early this morning (February 8). Pol Maj Gen Weerapong revealed that Highway Police would need to foster a positive working image to the public, and that he aimed to reduce bribe taking among officers in accordance with Interim Royal Thai Police Commissioner General Pol Gen Seripisut Temiyawet's (เสรีพิศุทธิ์ เตมียาเวช) policy.

The Royal Thai Police Commissioner General has set a policy of zero bribe taking, gambling, and influential figures in all areas as these elements caused public burden.

Pol Maj Gen Weerapong said that he would follow these directives and would also instruct officers to focus on counter narcotic operations as latest reports indicates that a large quantity of marijuana is streaming into Thailand from neighboring countries.

Very, very big boots required!! :o

:o

Reminds me of the time I was fined 400 B for driving too slow in the fast lane...

You, yes you! You can help by doing your share in stamping out bribe-taking.

Do like I do, take off when they ask for money or simply drive by and ignore the lone police officer puling cars over (there should be two officers). Do stop at road blocks though..

Tony, I know what you're saying here, but I'm not sure it's such a good idea. Policemen do shoot people who don't stop here. There have been many incidents.

It is risky.

When and if I do stop, they like to play games, so do I. The more you stall and confuse them, the more of their precious tea money time you waste. They quickly see it's going nowhere while all the other cash paying customers are driving by, you then usually get the white glove waving you off in the side view mirror. Useless pr!cks.

We now carry a small digital cam and will record a movie from the dashboard when we are pulled over. :o

Edited by Tony Clifton

It is risky.

When and if I do stop, they like to play games, so do I. The more you stall and confuse them, the more of their precious tea money time you waste. They quickly see it's going nowhere while all the other cash paying customers are driving by, you then usually get the white glove waving you off in the side view mirror. Useless pr!cks.

We now carry a small digital cam and will record a movie from the dashboard when we are pulled over. :o

lol. I have to drive quite a lot with my job here, and I know most of the tricks for confusing the more bumptious of the traffic cops. We know its a game, and sometimes me and the cop end up pissing ourselves laughing together. Firstly, whatever your level of proficiency in the language; never speak Thai to them. If you have a driving license from your home country, show them it.... I have an old UK license that is A5 sized when you get it out from the wallet. Cops pretending to study it intensely whilst its actually upside down is a particular favourite of mine. :D After this and a few more jolly japes, he's either waved me on in disgust or shot me in the face. :D

Anyway, if PC Plodprasit is still at my window after all this, he should be earmarked for promotion, and he gets my bribe, no worries. :D

I have a decent-res, full-sized Highway Patrol badge that can be printed onto sticker plastic and put in yer window, if you never, ever want to be pulled by the cops again. Only Satan's immediate family get these given to them outside the force. PM me if you want one. :D

At least the intention is there!

Next to this, I rather pay a bribe than pay a fine at the local police station. That's just a waste of time here in Bangkok.

If they want to really stop the bribery, they should come up with an easy system for the motorist to pay a fine, not having to hand over the driver's license and not having to go to the local police station for hours and hours for this bureaucratic nonsense.

Maybe they should also come up with a possibility to contest the policeman's view. They are no Gods and may make mistakes.

Unless these measures are implemented, I prefer to pay 100THB and consider it as a fine, rather than a bribe.

I lose my temper, staying calm while arguing in English and swearing/calling them names in French, leaves them clueless, quite fun actually. :D It's not the fact of forking out money that drives me insane but the fact that they're dishonest law officers, extorting money from honest people for no reason while they invent one, talking nicely to you, treating you like an idiot because they carry a firearm, wasting your time. "Where you come from? blah blah blah". If only they knew what I'm saying and calling them... I'd get shot on the spot. :o

Nothing but road viruses.

Edited by Tony Clifton