Totally confused with work permits. Changing jobs.

Hi everyone!

Could someone please clarify for me these questions:

1) Can a new employer apply for a new work permit BEFORE the current employer cancels the current work permit if both employers are located in the same province?

2) Can a new employer apply for a new work permit BEFORE the current employer cancels the current work permit if the employers are located in different provinces?

3) Can there be any gap between the date of cancellation of the current work permit and the date of the issuing of a new one while still continuing on proper extensions of stay (no gaps/overstays)?   I'm talking about changing jobs without leaving Thailand.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

1/2 Yes and Yes

The new employer would get a work permit application approval letter that will be needed to change your extension from the old to the new employer.

3. There would be no gap if done the correct way. The new work permit would be issued as soon as the old one is canceled.

You will need a termination letter from your current employer and then on or before the date on the letter your current extension would be canceled and a application for a new one done with supporting document from the new employer.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

1/2 Yes and Yes

The new employer would get a work permit application approval letter that will be needed to change your extension from the old to the new employer.

3. There would be no gap if done the correct way. The new work permit would be issued as soon as the old one is canceled.

You will need a termination letter from your current employer and then on or before the date on the letter your current extension would be canceled and a application for a new one done with supporting document from the new employer.

As things are not 100% clear yet on the recent WP rules this situation on the face of it might, repeat might, make this easier. 

Just a guess, the actual blue book, WP, could be used in the new area of work and new employers details entered in it making it somewhat like a log book.

Say new employer and employee go to the new area labour office with WP ( from old area ) some other required documentation and a tranfer is done easily and quickly.

Just thinking out loud.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

1/2 Yes and Yes

Thank you very much for the reply.

The point is that the girl from staff at current employer told the lady from staff of the new employer that Samut Prakan Immigration office will cancel current extension of stay only after the current work permit is cancelled. If so, there maybe a gap of 1 or more days between the two work permits. Is it ok to have this gap? I can't trust this information fully though, I think the girl from staff at current employers' is inexperienced (works less than 1 year there) and might have misunderstood something. But in order to double check this information I have to go to Samut Prakan Immigration personally (and it's quite far from where I live).

Edited by Caracena

2 hours ago, overherebc said:

As things are not 100% clear yet on the recent WP rules this situation on the face of it might, repeat might, make this easier. 

Just a guess, the actual blue book, WP, could be used in the new area of work and new employers details entered in it making it somewhat like a log book.

Say new employer and employee go to the new area labour office with WP ( from old area ) some other required documentation and a tranfer is done easily and quickly.

Just thinking out loud. 

I see that you are referring to the article from Phukhet. Well, I don't know how correct is this info and if it is, how long it will take for this new change to become effective..

16 minutes ago, Caracena said:

I see that you are referring to the article from Phukhet. Well, I don't know how correct is this info and if it is, how long it will take for this new change to become effective..

Yes. At the moment I don't think there is an 'official' translation to english. The other, I feel, equally valid points will be the time taken for the info' to filter down to those responsible and maybe the different 'understandings' applied in different areas.

That's why my posts contain I think, it might be, I reckon etc.

??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Caracena said:

Thank you very much for the reply.

The point is that the girl from staff at current employer told the lady from staff of the new employer that Samut Prakan Immigration office will cancel current extension of stay only after the current work permit is cancelled. If so, there maybe a gap of 1 or more days between the two work permits. Is it ok to have this gap? I can't trust this information fully though, I think the girl from staff at current employers' is inexperienced (works less than 1 year there) and might have misunderstood something. But in order to double check this information I have to go to Samut Prakan Immigration personally (and it's quite far from where I live).

Although ubonjoe has told you correctly i.e. there should be no gap between permits if done correctly, I have had situations where there has been a gap and there hasn't been any problems as long as it isn't too long a gap. 1 or 2 days should be ok but as ubonjoe says, if done correctly there shouldn't be a gap. 

• Thanks 1