Video: Why you need to be especially careful at a Thai green light

webfact

6 hours ago, Artisi said:

At the speed this guy came thru' the lights, if the woman had been paying attention, it would be obvious there was no way he was going to or was capable of stopping. 

But in hindsight its always 20/20.

If he was doing 120 kph he would travel about 134 metres in 4 seconds. From my observation of the video 4 seconds is the length of time she travelled before being hit.  Stopping distance for him should have been 118 metres if he was paying attention.  That distance allows for thinking and braking.  He also had the option of passing behind her car.  I really don't see how she is at fault.  We don't all speed away when lights turn green.  Was she too fast or too slow?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, AboutThaim said:

If he was doing 120 kph he would travel about 134 metres in 4 seconds. From my observation of the video 4 seconds is the length of time she travelled before being hit.  Stopping distance for him should have been 118 metres if he was paying attention.  That distance allows for thinking and braking.  He also had the option of passing behind her car.  I really don't see how she is at fault.  We don't all speed away when lights turn green.  Was she too fast or too slow?

I wasn't inferring fault on her part particular, other than being very aware on the change of light from red to green. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/3/2018 at 9:09 AM, darksidedog said:

It seems from the way the article is written that the general assumption is that a green light means go. It does not. It means you can proceed IF the road is clear. When even such basics are not being understood, it is no wonder these accidents happen.

Fair play, the truck driver is an idiot, but if the woman had looked, rather than proceed blithely, the accident would not have happened.

Hang on a minute darkside normally your comments are relevant but in this case I think you are wrong.

In the video you can see the car on the opposite side coming to a stop at the red light and remaining stationary for some time before the woman starts to move through the green light on her side.

Some 30 seconds into the video the crash happened and I do not see anything wrong with the actions of the woman, she proceeded forward carefully and sensibly, but the pickup driver was going at foot on the floorboard speed even though he had plenty of time to notice the red light.

Clearly the pickup driver was inattentive to anything around him, as is the way with most Thai drivers.

To quote another poster here, nothing will stop this stupidity until the government orders proper driver training and meaningful testing.

The transition from driving a buffalo to driving a high powered vehicle has been long and hard costing many lives with nothing learned in the interim time, and sadly the buffalo mentality has prevailed

• Like 1