Dengue warning re-issued as national death toll hits 65

snoop1130

Dengue warning re-issued as national death toll hits 65

By The Phuket News

1535975181_1-org.jpg

The department of Disease Control dengue report released last week. Image: DDCMore than 50,000 people have contracted dengue already this year. Image: DDC

PHUKET:-- The Director-General of the Thai Ministry of Health’s Department of Disease Control (DDC) has warned for people to take precautions against contracting dengue after two more deaths suspected from dengue in Surin province, while Phuket remains the leading province in the South for infections per capita.

Dr Suwannachai Wattanayingcharoenchai yesterday (Sept 2) pointed out that from Jan 1 to Aug 28 this year, 65 people have died from dengue, with 50,079 people across the country having been confirmed as contracting the mosquito-borne disease.

Worse, the number of infections nationwide this year is up 50.2% on last year, confirms a DDC report posted last week.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/dengue-warning-re-issued-as-national-death-toll-hits-65-68496.php#Xz3IQhTFcJaVXsYU.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-9-3

My next door neighbour a Thai has dug a pit in his garden, it’s full of stagnant water which I am sure is a breeding ground for mosquitoes?

He ignores me and my family, he doesn’t speak to Thai neighbours, I told my girl I should report him to the City Council but my she  doesn’t want too cause any problems.

A colleague said put a load of cloths detergent in it ?

1 hour ago, jamie2009 said:

My next door neighbour a Thai has dug a pit in his garden, it’s full of stagnant water which I am sure is a breeding ground for mosquitoes?

He ignores me and my family, he doesn’t speak to Thai neighbours, I told my girl I should report him to the City Council but my she  doesn’t want too cause any problems.

A colleague said put a load of cloths detergent in it ?

Or Oil

3 hours ago, Nice Boyd said:

Or Oil

Use any kind of vegetable oil, not a petroleum based oil.  It is biodegradable. The oil surface layer prevents the larvae from attaching to the surface film in the developmental phase prior to emerging. A 40 baht plastic litre of cooking oil can be lobbed in from afar along with a few small rocks in it allowing it to sink to the bottom out of sight.  The container should be perforated with a couple small holes from a screwdriver to allow the oil to seep out and float to the surface. Repeat as necessary.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pattayadgw said:

While Phuket is one of the most Dengue active provinces in Thailand i have never seen any Govt' sponsored fogging activities and ive lived here now for 7 years and have had dengue twice.

I've seen it quite often in Kata.

You can go to any local govt. office and get 'tea bag' type packs of chemicals that kill the lavae - they will give you these for free.  I live Rawai and have never seen any fogging in 7 years. I think getting the free chems from the local govt. and placing in stagnant water is better than fogging. 

• Like 2

without the fogging done by government, I reckon the Thai people will vanish from Earth's surface.

No kidding.  The "NEW" disases like Ebola, Dengue, Virunga and the odd Malaria  have the potential to kill whole societies.

While you should call yourself glad to see a government team of Spray-Gun guys passing through your village, you should be on guard in case a follow up after three months does not happen.  The Mozzies will thank you for the 3 month spell  . . . their babies are alive

17 hours ago, Gold Star said:

Use any kind of vegetable oil, not a petroleum based oil.  It is biodegradable. The oil surface layer prevents the larvae from attaching to the surface film in the developmental phase prior to emerging. A 40 baht plastic litre of cooking oil can be lobbed in from afar along with a few small rocks in it allowing it to sink to the bottom out of sight.  The container should be perforated with a couple small holes from a screwdriver to allow the oil to seep out and float to the surface. Repeat as necessary.

Thanks for the info, my lady says no there are fish in the water you will might kill them, I don’t want too fall out with the neighbour, ok then you would rather you, me or our son might die from Dengue Fever.

She said we should move House if I don’t like the Mosquitoes ?

2 hours ago, jamie2009 said:

Thanks for the info, my lady says no there are fish in the water you will might kill them, I don’t want too fall out with the neighbour, ok then you would rather you, me or our son might die from Dengue Fever.

She said we should move House if I don’t like the Mosquitoes ?

Don't feed the fish, they will eat the eggs and larvae.