Overwhelmed by my choices of accommodation in Bangkok

BigWillyBurns

I'm one hour in on looking at rooms on Booking, Agoda etc and still haven't found something to my liking. There's too much choice for my overthinking brain ?

• Budget: Around 20 euros a night

• Location: Rambuttri road. Near enough to KhaoSan but not actually on it

• Must have: absolutely zero bedbugs, rats, etc. I know mosquitoes are hard to keep out of any room in SEA but if hotels have a higher proportion of them than others I'd rule them out too

• Must Be: a hotel and not hostel. I'm too old for hostels ?

• Must have: an elevator

Me - 33, male, mostly wanting to see Bangkok for great food and some temples and nightlife before moving onto the islands

Thanks

Why Khaosan? Stay on the transit line if you are going to temple hunt. That way you have access to everything. Plus easier to get to RCA. Great place for young guys with money and game ?

Ive never had a rat in a hotel  room in Bangkok ever, nor a rat nor a mosquito. 

• Like 2

check out the new location next to the Fort in Banglampoo

right at the end of the Khlong

with a terrace facing the river

"varee" or something

I just booked 4 nights there in October,  24 Euros per night. an absolutely stunning NEW place

use google to find it and book by agoda, like I did

enter  banglampoo bangkok guesthouse hotel

Edited by crazygreg44

Chillax Resort, on Samsen Soi 2..3/4 star, swimming pool, 7 levels with lift. Popular for couples and group bookings.. This is right next to the klong in Banglumpoo, and a leasurely 7 min walk to Rambuttri and Khaosan.. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, owenm said:

Chillax Resort, on Samsen Soi 2..3/4 star, swimming pool, 7 levels with lift. Popular for couples and group bookings.. This is right next to the klong in Banglumpoo, and a leasurely 7 min walk to Rambuttri and Khaosan.. 

Looks lovely but on first glance its twice my budget at 55 euros a night

20 euros is about 750bht, which isn't going to give you too much choice in a hotel. If you are staying for a month, then a good deal can be found. Next to Chillax on the left, is a 7 level condo complex, Juan Manee, which I stayed at for 7 mths. One mth starts from 10k Bht, 7 levels, room with balcony, aircond, furnished, option of TV, fridge and WiFi each at 350bht extra per month. Modern building, 24 hr security. For 6 mths price reduces to 6000bht pm. 

Banglumpoo Place, 150m away on Phra Arthit Rd has similar for 16k Bht pm fully furnished with safe, fridge, TV and free WiFi but the view from balcony is just your neighbor. They do offer daily tariff as well.. And finally for your 20 euro, Sawasdee Banglumpoo has very small aircond rooms with TV and fridge, not balcony at around 700bht per night. Back half block from Khaosan, not much noise.. But stairs only and no lift, mainly for backpackers.. 

8 minutes ago, owenm said:

20 euros is about 750bht, which isn't going to give you too much choice in a hotel. If you are staying for a month, then a good deal can be found. Next to Chillax on the left, is a 7 level condo complex, Juan Manee, which I stayed at for 7 mths. One mth starts from 10k Bht, 7 levels, room with balcony, aircond, furnished, option of TV, fridge and WiFi each at 350bht extra per month. Modern building, 24 hr security. For 6 mths price reduces to 6000bht pm. 

Banglumpoo Place, 150m away on Phra Arthit Rd has similar for 16k Bht pm fully furnished with safe, fridge, TV and free WiFi but the view from balcony is just your neighbor. They do offer daily tariff as well.. And finally for your 20 euro, Sawasdee Banglumpoo has very small aircond rooms with TV and fridge, not balcony at around 700bht per night. Back half block from Khaosan, not much noise.. But stairs only and no lift, mainly for backpackers.. 

I'd go to 30 euros for the right place (20 - 30 euros is what I mentioned above)

Thanks for the rest of the reply but I'm only staying in Bangkok for 5 nights.

The majority of the reviews for Sawasdee Banglumpoo Inn are saying it's filthy dirty .

Banglumpoo Place is USD45 pn or 38 euro. Check it out on Agoda. We'll appointed rooms and good location, near the Fort and 350m to Rambuttri. Yes I agree the Banglumpoo Sawasdee is not your finest choice.. Is a typical backpackers and not really clean. But that's what you can expect for 700bht.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, BigWillyBurns said:

I'd go to 30 euros for the right place (20 - 30 euros is what I mentioned above)

Thanks for the rest of the reply but I'm only staying in Bangkok for 5 nights.

The majority of the reviews for Sawasdee Banglumpoo Inn are saying it's filthy dirty .

Like folks say, why be down there if you aint a backpacker. Its fun to explore the old city, but who wants to stay there?

Try the Boss Mansion, Rama IV, soi 42, 800m from the Ekkamai BTS. Easy access everywhere. Nightlife for example. You want naughty? BTS to Nana. You want clubs? BTS to Thong Lo, then taxi. You want Khao San? BTS to National Stadium, walk to San Saeb, water taxi to War Saket then taxi, or take the BTS to SaphanKwai and the river boat to Phra Artit. Yaowarat? BTS to Saphan Kwai, then boat, pick your stop. Boats run till 8pm. Taxis late at night get ya back its only 11km from Khao San to Ekkamai.

Location, location, location.

Its a real nice place for the money. Big rooms, clean. it has a pool and a convneience store. I stay there before I find more permanent digs. It just cost me recently like $31 a night. In fact in 2015 (?) I think I stayed there for two months it was so convenient. Just not a lot to do immediately around the place. Its off the tourist strip being down on Rama 4.  

If you want to be even  more central, look around Victory Monument

Edited by Nyezhov

Hi, I would recommend the New Siam Palace View hotel.

It's at the end of Rambuttri road (near Phra Athit) and in my opinion perfectly located in Old Town Bangkok - close to Khao San and at walking distance from Thammasat University.

The Hotel has good free buffet breakfast, a large free swimming pool and elevators.

Note: There are 5 New Siam hotels situated on Rambuttri, but this one is best and strangely enough also cheapest (because it is at the very end of Rambuttri road, which is actually an advantage because you don't have night parties close-by).

Using the link attached https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g293916-d8445225-Reviews-New_Siam_Palace_View-Bangkok.html

you can book for approx 1100 THB for a clean aircon double room.

TIP: Do request for a quiet room, as some of the rooms' bathrooms face the very busy bridge road and can be noisy during the night. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are many options in your price range for Soi Rambuttri, but about 75% are unpleasant. I know from experience. I used to always stay at Mango Lagoon but they seemed to have almost doubled their prices since they installed the elevator and swimming pool.

Avoid A+A guesthouse. Lamphu House has nice rooms at under 500 baht but often with shared bathrooms.

4 hours ago, BigWillyBurns said:

Anyone ever stay in New Siam Palace Ville? 

>> Yes, and I recommended it to you a few posts higher.

Since 2 years I stay there everytime I visit Bangkok, as it meets my main criteria:

- located in Rattakosin (old Bangkok), at walking distance from many landmark places (I don't like having to take public transport all the time)

- in a lively area (Rambuttri / Khao San Road) but without the drawbacks (no all-night parties going on near)

- nice and clean air-con rooms

- reasonable price, surely for what you get: good free buffet breakfast / free us of swimming pool + towels

Two things to take heed:

- Ask for a room in a quiet part of the hotel, as there is one wing of the hotel where the bathroom faces the busy intersection bridge road which can be noisy at night

- It is posted in the elevators, but I did not notice it first time: Each time you want to have your room cleaned, you have to tell reception otherwise they deliberately - for privacy reasons - don't clean it. 

Enjoy your stay!

NOTE: If you can get the Rambuttri Village Plaza for under 900 THB for a double room, that's also worth considering.

• Thanks 1

I've stayed in Bangkok perhaps 25 times over 15 years. You are going to struggle to find something of an acceptable quality, that is centrally located for 20 Euros. (750 bht)

I didn't start staying in hostels until I was older than you are now and continued until I was mid 40's. (though not in Thailand). They do have private rooms available as well as dorms. 

A tip for some of you posting long links: try  https://tinyurl.com/

• Like 1