Retired foreign couples, do they exist in Thailand?

Hanaguma

3 hours ago, NancyL said:

You see, that's your problem, you spend your time at a golf club -- probably a healthy enough hobby, but not one that is of great interest to western women.  Within 500 meters of my condo are numerous restaurants, hair and nail salons, legitimate massage businesses, two malls, a well-regarded hospital and within the condo itself are two restaurants, laundry facilities, a good water machine, a mini mart that is like a little Rim Ping, caring condo management and a condo policy that permits the residents to have cats. Now you tell me, where would most women rather spend their time, hanging out at a golf course or in or near my condo building?

Nancy, you should consider expanding your horizons. Golf is one of the best sports ever invented - can be played by all ages. It's even recommended by doctors as exercise for cardiac patients.  Certainly not a problem for me, I've been playing it competitively for over 60 years.

It's curious you should say golf is not of great interest to Western women. There's a sizeable group of Thai and Japanese women at my golf club, fiercely competitive and a couple of the younger ones are seriously good golfers.

I guess our priorities are different - hanging out at a hair and nail salon holds no interest for me either. I don't have much hair on my head, and I can keep my nails trimmed all by myself. All of the other things except the cats are available close by, and my condo has a swimming pool. While I understand your love of cats - I've had a few in my life - I don't feel a need to be a servant at this stage of my life.

38 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Nancy, you should consider expanding your horizons. Golf is one of the best sports ever invented - can be played by all ages. It's even recommended by doctors as exercise for cardiac patients.  Certainly not a problem for me, I've been playing it competitively for over 60 years.

It's curious you should say golf is not of great interest to Western women. There's a sizeable group of Thai and Japanese women at my golf club, fiercely competitive and a couple of the younger ones are seriously good golfers.

I guess our priorities are different - hanging out at a hair and nail salon holds no interest for me either. I don't have much hair on my head, and I can keep my nails trimmed all by myself. All of the other things except the cats are available close by, and my condo has a swimming pool. While I understand your love of cats - I've had a few in my life - I don't feel a need to be a servant at this stage of my life.

one thing i dislike about golf is flabby breasts

for this reason, i prefer competitive rowing

• Confused 2

On 9/8/2018 at 9:06 AM, NancyL said:

I looked up Pauline Hanson in Wikipedia.  One thing I love about TV is how we have an opportunity to learn about other English-speaking cultures.  I had no idea who she is and after reading her Wiki entry, I'd have to say that while Pauline Hanson and I are about the same age, she's hardly invisible, is she?

I didn't see where she is known for the quote "please explain how that works to your advantage", however.  All I was saying is that sometimes older women are overlooked and not paid attention to.  This means they can sometimes blend into the background and observe situations unnoticed or get into a place where others couldn't.  It's a little more difficult here in Thailand for an older western woman, but in the western countries, a older western woman definitely is overlooked.  This is one reason that so many guys fail to notice all the retired western women here.

As an older, western woman myself - I find that the Thais I 'meet' generally (i.e. - whilst out and about) are more friendly towards me than they are to most of the old 'ex-pat male farang'. ?

Which makes sense, as I'm clearly in no way a 'threat' to them, or their 'way of life' in any way whatsoever.

e.g. I'm not about to be seen roaming around half-dressed/drunk or aggressive - and I'm certainly not a 'threat' to them when it comes to attracting those of their women looking for a 'rich' western man as a husband!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

As an older, western woman myself - I find that the Thais I 'meet' generally (i.e. - whilst out and about) are more friendly towards me than they are to most of the old 'ex-pat male farang'. ?

Which makes sense, as I'm clearly in no way a 'threat' to them, or their 'way of life' in any way whatsoever.

e.g. I'm not about to be seen roaming around half-dressed/drunk or aggressive - and I'm certainly not a 'threat' to them when it comes to attracting those of their women looking for a 'rich' western man as a husband!

You're not much into stereotyping, are you?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 years, and rarely seen a Traditional Ferang Couple. By that i mean Over 65. Nice Car, House, happy and socializing. Fortunately there are many like me n me Thai Wife to mix with all over Thailand.Sorry CM dwelling ones hibernate, never saw any in years upthere[emoji481]

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

3 hours ago, Ulysses G. said:

Thai Visa Poster of the Year Nancy L. and her husband pretty much fit the bill, although they could be a little younger. They might not bother with a car though. I think they have a local driver. 

Thanks for the shout-out, UG, although soon we both will be over age 65.  I can hardly wait to have the chance to present an Income Letter and everything that means at CM Imm.  Of course, I'll still keep my Bangkok Bank accounts (they're such sweeties at Bangkok Bank) and will probably get a bank letter, too, just to confuse CM Imm if they want to ask about the income letter.  I guess a bank letter and account for 800,000 baht that has sat untouched for over 10 years is more believable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So theres one nice couple, and rather few others known ,befriended  in any close way, i stand by my well travelled Thai Path, they are rare.Good memories of CM, but its nothing id go back to now 25 years later.72 now and too grumpy to accept CM Emigration waiting time .

On 9/15/2018 at 9:01 AM, HAKAPALITA said:

So theres one nice couple, and rather few others known ,befriended  in any close way, i stand by my well travelled Thai Path, they are rare.Good memories of CM, but its nothing id go back to now 25 years later.72 now and too grumpy to accept CM Emigration waiting time .

Oh well, yes 25 years ago I would imagine that expat/expat retiree couples were pretty darn rare here in Chiang Mai.  I remember coming here for holidays in the 70s and 80s and it seemed like the only resident expats you saw, at least the Americans, were washed up Vietnam war vets who decided to stay and idle away their VA disability pay on Loy Kroh Rd.  Some were more sensible and settled down with Thai wives, but yes, you didn't see many western women, at least outside the church/missionary scene.  

So, it was a surprise when we returned in 2006 to scope out Chiang Mai for retirement that I discovered western women who had retired here, some without western partners, some even so brave and independent as to employ local people to build expensive dream homes, etc.  And they didn't get "taken" by the locals the way that western men often seem to.  Instead, they flourish and are loved by the local people.   

The think the internet changed much, where information about Chiang Mai as a retirement destination started to become available in the late 90s and really took off in the early 2000s.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

It seems that foreign couples are concentrated in Chiang Mai and Bangkok. The rest of the country?  Just got back from a month in Udon Thani and I saw exactly one foreign lady who wasn't obviously a tourist or a college age kid.  

All I can speak for is CM as it has been years since I lived in Bangkok, but there are many farang couples in CM and not just retired couples. I see young farang couples here all the time, many with one, two or more young children in tow... These are not tourists as they are far away from tourist areas and obviously live here. To the old grumpy guy earlier in this thread, times change and there are many more farang escaping the west for many reasons in recent years. Thailand and CM in particular is a good alternative as long as you can qualify for a visa. 

• Like 1