Re-entry Permits

eyecatcher

5 minutes ago, THAIJAMES said:

If you are leaving out of Chiang Mai airport, the process is also very fast and more convenient.

Yes, I tried that last time but they refused as I was flying from the domestic side into Bangkok first.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, eyecatcher said:

Yes, I tried that last time but they refused as I was flying from the domestic side into Bangkok first.

I'm not clear on this. 

Apparently you were leaving the country from Chiang Mai via Bangkok.  It sounds like they wouldn't allow you to board through the international gate, right?  So you entered the domestic gate.

The queston is: what did you do when you were in BKK?  Was it easy enough to sort through there?

Thanks.

If you are flying out of the country from suvarmbhumi then most likely you will be taking a domestic flight from here first.

the Immigration set up here is only in the international departures, therefore you are not allowed to just go into th international side to get your re entry then go back to your domestic flight.

hence my only two options...Promenada or Swampy.

of course if you are flying out to your  overseas destination direct from CM then you can get your re entry there.

PLEASE NOTE

I will add;  you could do this previously when they allowed you to pass immigration here and give you the blue sticker, but certainly my last two times they would not allow me to pass thro immigration here. 

2 hours ago, MrBrad said:

I'm not clear on this. 

Apparently you were leaving the country from Chiang Mai via Bangkok.  It sounds like they wouldn't allow you to board through the international gate, right?  So you entered the domestic gate.

The queston is: what did you do when you were in BKK?  Was it easy enough to sort through there?

Thanks.

Yes the re entry was easy in the check in area. They have a designated office for re entry permits that you have to pass before your very first bag check.

At the time I was in a panic because I have very often gone thro immigration at chiang mai always on the Bangkok air codeshare scheme, you get the blue sticker and are shuffled  through all the security at Swampy, it was great and convenient.

I will try Promenada this time and be prepared!

1 hour ago, Thailand said:

Maybe 5 in the queue for re-entry this morning, started processing at 8.40am all done by 9am  a few stragglers came in later.

Seemed like first batch of passports returned by 9.10am

That's pretty good then, I will try and head out for 4pm and see what happens.

That was painless. Arrived 3.30 and outside it was pretty deserted. Inside not busy either.

however, filling the form in was the most complicated and that took a whopping 5 minutes.

Then with a number I walked straight in and sat down. The officer was already doodling her desk from boredom I could see. 

About as quick as a 90 day report, 3 minutes and I was away.

They are surely going to need to slow down the 90 day report and re entry process, its far too efficient at the moment.

9 hours ago, eyecatcher said:

If you are flying out of the country from suvarmbhumi then most likely you will be taking a domestic flight from here first.

the Immigration set up here is only in the international departures, therefore you are not allowed to just go into th international side to get your re entry then go back to your domestic flight.

The key is whether you're leaving via the international side at CNX and, if so, then you can obtain the re-entry permit at CNX.   That would apply to all direct international flights from CNX and also to some "international" flights that go through BKK.  For example, this past January I booked a ticket to Siem Reap via Bangkok Air originating at CNX and involving about a 1 hour layover at BKK and switching planes.  I went through the international side here in CNX for that trip and could have bought a re-entry permit here just before going through immigration (I didn't as I have a multiple).  [For the return trip through BKK, I went through immigration at BKK although my checked-in luggage went through customs at CNX].

Thanks for clarifying, eyecatcher; I wasn't aware of the change in procedures.  I thought that I'd remembered leaving here on international flights via Bangkok with no problem.  Your mentioning the now-discontinued blue sticker system cleared it up for me.

4 hours ago, MrBrad said:

Your mentioning the now-discontinued blue sticker system cleared it up for me.

CMBob (post above) is more on target.  I'll just add ---

It has to do with the departing airline's (from CNX) interline baggage transfer agreement with the connecting airline in Bangkok.  If the departing airline has a baggage transfer agreement, then you exit Immigration at CNX and your baggage will be transferred to your connecting flight in Bangkok.  If the departing airline does not have the agreement with the connecting flight, then you cannot exit Immigration in CNX, but must do so at BKK.  In that case, you must reclaim your baggage (from the flight), re-check it with your departing airline, and then exit Immigration there at BKK.

Thai Airways has this interline agreement with just about all other carriers out-of BKK.  Interestingly, Thai Smile does not. (I almost got caught by that once!)  And, I very much doubt that any lost-cost carrier from Chiang Mai has such an agreement.

This can be seen, though, prior to booking by checking the airlines' websites about it:

Thai Air: https://www.thaiairways.com/en/Terms_condition/interline_partner.page

Bangkok Airways: http://www.bangkokair.com/through-check-in

Edited by Pronto2