Certificate of residence for a license

Hi.

Does anyone know if you can get a certificate of residence if you only have a SETV?  I was told the only way to get a motorcycle license in thailand is with one?.

I stay each year for 3 months at my friends place  in the chiang mai area and pretty much only ride around  there but with all the new talk of fines and confiscating scooters  i thought i should try and  do the right thing and maybe get the appropriate permit.... When i stay with her we do go to immigration and do the 24 hour  notice of address  so i am wondering  would it be possible to get one then or are they only available  for long term residence ? I only have a car license and IDP when i go there and  i am  happy to sit for the riding and written test  if its possible. A motorcycle/scooter license in Oz is 850 minimum plus the permit waiting period and x amount of days for testing is a bit of a hassle...but if this is the only way for a tourist to legally ride in thailand  then that is how it is and i would have to get one Oz. I am hoping there is an easier and less expensive alternative?  Any advice would be appreciated. 

In Jomtien I paid 300, the girl then asked will I be getting a car license too I thought why she asking and answered yes. Next minute she is printing 2 and Im up for 600. At the motor registry they said I could have photocopied it. lol

• Like 2

1 minute ago, johnny2times said:

Ubon Joe would it be the same for other areas such as surat thani or ubon ratchitani? My friend might be moving to one of those areas in the near future...

It is not the same everywhere. Some offices do not issue a certificate of residency for anybody.

Not sure about Surat Thani.

Here in Ubon you do not need a certificate of residency. You take a form given to you by the drivers license office to the tourist police or immigration for them to stamp and sign it.

sorry ubon im a bit confused... i dont have a motorcycle license only a car  but i want to sit for the test to get the motorcycle license  and i was told i need a certificate of residence to apply for that...if i take my car license to immigration / tourist police wont they see its for car only?

cheers

17 minutes ago, johnny2times said:

sorry ubon im a bit confused... i dont have a motorcycle license only a car  but i want to sit for the test to get the motorcycle license  and i was told i need a certificate of residence to apply for that...if i take my car license to immigration / tourist police wont they see its for car only?

cheers

I was writing about the procedure here in Ubon. Immigration and the tourist police would never see your driver's license. You get the from to be stamped by them at the drivers license office.

8 minutes ago, johnny2times said:

Ok ubon so the form i get from the drivers license office is the form i get immigration/tourist police to stamp so i can then go and sit for the motorcycle license test.. correct?

Yes but only here in Ubon and a few other provinces.

You will need the certificate of residency in Chiang Mai.

4 minutes ago, johnny2times said:

Ok ubon so the form i get from the drivers license office is the form i get immigration/tourist police to stamp so i can then go and sit for the motorcycle license test.. correct?

The procedures can be different depending on the Province or DLT centre you apply.

UJ was just explaining a slightly different procedure that has to be followed in Ubon Ratchaithani.

Usually the DLT will require a certificate of residence as proof of your address for the licence.

1 minute ago, johnny2times said:

ok i understand... thanks heaps ubon joe...

Cheers

There are two separate procedures to obtain a licence.

Firstly you'll need to obtain a 'certificate of residence' from local Immigration.

You'll need;

Completed application form. 

Cert of Res App form..pdf

Passport.

Signed Copies of photo/details page of passport, current Visa, last entry stamp, TM6

Signed Copies of your friends Tabien Baan and ID card.

When you have the 'certificate of residence' you can apply for the licence.

You may need;

Documents as above + certificate of residence.

After taking and passing the test you will be issued with a motorcycle licence initially valid for 2 years.

33 minutes ago, johnny2times said:

No, not in CM.

10 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Firstly you'll need to obtain a 'certificate of residence' from local Immigration.

You'll need;

Passport.

Signed Copies of photo/details page of passport, current Visa, last entry stamp, TM6

You may need;

After taking and passing the test you will be issued with a motorcycle licence initially valid for 2 years.

I think they also want a 'medical paper' from a hospital, as this would be his first (temporary) license.

Edited by Vacuum
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

You'll need;

Passport.

You may need;

cheers for this information Tanoshi

11 minutes ago, johnny2times said:

medical paper? how in depth is this and can it be taken at any hospital in thailand or does it have to be from my country?

It's a basic medical certificate you can obtain at general clinics (your Thai friend will know where).

In my area the cost is 50 baht.

You never see a GP. The fact you walked in still breathing seems enough, although they now have a new medical certificate requested by some DLT offices, so may be slightly more expensive and involve a test.

New Medical cert DLT.jpg

29 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

It's a basic medical certificate you can obtain at general clinics (your Thai friend will know where).

In my area the cost is 50 baht.

You never see a GP. The fact you walked in still breathing seems enough, although they now have a new medical certificate requested by some DLT offices, so may be slightly more expensive and involve a test.

New Medical cert DLT.jpg

Cheers Tanoshi... i appreciate your information

2 hours ago, BigT73 said:

In Jomtien I paid 300, the girl then asked will I be getting a car license too I thought why she asking and answered yes. Next minute she is printing 2 and Im up for 600. At the motor registry they said I could have photocopied it. lol

Depends on the office, some people report that when they did their car + mc licences they only needed 1 original + a copy of the residency cert. But I renewed my 5-year licences in Hua Hin last month and had to have 2 original residency certs...cost me 1000 Bt. I've been told that Jomtien is 300 Bt for a cert, Hua Hin is 500 Bt. A few years ago I got them in Khon Kaen and they were free....So I dunno...lol

Regards certificate of residence.

I have at present moment a bank account with Bangkok bank. I've had it for years but would like to get access to online banking. My problem is since I work overseas and don't have working permit they don't wanna let me have online banking. After discussing the matter with them recently they agreed to look into it if I could get a stamp and a signature from my embassy (Danish) Unfortunately my embassy don't deal with these matters anymore. They don't mind verifying my passport but don't want to verify my Thai address. ( I own a condo in Bangkok with my Thai wife) 

So yesterday me and my wife naively went to immigration Samut Prakan thinking that with the condo deed in the hand it would be piece of cake to get a certificate of residence. But was I wrong! Oh my God I was almost given a bullucking and told that I was just a tourist. I've got non o 1 year multiple entry. 

Is there any way around or do I just have to accept that there is no way for me to either get online banking with Bangkok Bank or open an account with another bank???

Sorry for piggybacking the topic

2 minutes ago, mek said:

Regards certificate of residence.

I have at present moment a bank account with Bangkok bank. I've had it for years but would like to get access to online banking. My problem is since I work overseas and don't have working permit they don't wanna let me have online banking. After discussing the matter with them recently they agreed to look into it if I could get a stamp and a signature from my embassy (Danish) Unfortunately my embassy don't deal with these matters anymore. They don't mind verifying my passport but don't want to verify my Thai address. ( I own a condo in Bangkok with my Thai wife) 

So yesterday me and my wife naively went to immigration Samut Prakan thinking that with the condo deed in the hand it would be piece of cake to get a certificate of residence. But was I wrong! Oh my God I was almost given a bullucking and told that I was just a tourist. I've got non o 1 year multiple entry. 

Is there any way around or do I just have to accept that there is no way for me to either get online banking with Bangkok Bank or open an account with another bank???

Sorry for piggybacking the topic

I'd suggest trying Kasikorn. They were quite keen to get me to online, although my visa circumstances are different to yours.

9 minutes ago, mek said:

Have you shown the bank proof you own a condo. It is shown on the required documents to open a bank account. 

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Save-And-Invest/Save/Savings-Account

Document showing ownership of a fixed asset such as a condominium sale/purchase agreement (a condominium which is acceptable to Bangkok Bank) Or a property reservation agreement valued at 100,000 baht or more with a reference letter from the property developer that is acceptable to Bangkok Bank.

Have you tried to apply for internet banking online. https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Digital-Banking/Bualuang-iBanking/How-To-Apply