SURVEY: Elon Musk, incredible genius or crackpot nutter?

Scott

SURVEY: Elon Musk, incredible genius or crackpot nutter?  

188 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There have been a number of threads about the recent antics and behavior of Elon Musk.   These run the gambit from his accusations of one of the British diver being a pedophile to smoking pot in a recent podcast.   In your opinion, which of these statements best describes your attitude toward Musk?

Please feel free to leave a comment.

One other company he founded is -The Boring Company- in essence a high speed subway system .  It is hyper loop technology and if successful can move large numbers of people quickly, efficiently and without toxic emissions.  It's a revolutionary concept that just might change the way people travel.

He does seem to be having emotional issues- either too much work and stress or simply a personality disorder.  His comments about the  English cave diver were way over the top and he will end up on the losing end.  He seems to be unnerved by any type of criticism which seems  the opposite normal reaction. He seems to want constant adulation.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

One other company he founded is -The Boring Company- in essence a high speed subway system .  It is hyper loop technology and if successful can move large numbers of people quickly, efficiently and without toxic emissions.  It's a revolutionary concept that just might change the way people travel.

The cost of mining a tunnel and then lining it with a vacuum tube (or even just the tube above ground) FAR exceeds the cost of a couple of steel rails... It's a great idea, but it just ain't gonna be made to work economically.  

"He's gone completely off the rails and needs psychiatric help" - "has no connection with intelligence.

http://www.cracked.com/article_18822_5-famous-scientists-dismissed-as-morons-in-their-time.html

https://list25.com/25-geniuses-that-changed-the-world-and-why-they-were-crazy/

http://nomorecheezmeh.com/2016/02/27/famous-failures-28-people-who-were-thought-to-be-crazy-but-proved-to-be-geniuses/

PS: Musk's net worth almost $20 billion.

Edited by Srikcir
add net worth
  • Thanks 1

Does anyone else see a similarity between Musk and Steve Jobs, both highly inspirational, both having antisocial attitudes, but both having the ability to create great changes in society.

Edited by PJPom
Additional thoughts
  • Like 1

Despite all the rabid criticism of him in the MSM, his appearance on Joe Rogan’s show was orchestrated, pure genius. The MSM and sharemarket responded exactly like Elon planned. I love it!  Elon’s playing the MSM like a fiddle… the same as Trump is doing. 

Edited by bofhman

6 minutes ago, bofhman said:

Despite all the rabid criticism of him in the MSM, his appearance on Joe Rogan’s show was orchestrated, pure genius. The MSM and sharemarket responded exactly like Elon planned. I love it!  Elon’s playing the MSM like a fiddle… the same as Trump is doing. https://youtu.be/ycPr5-27vSI

What evidence you have to suggest that it was "orchestrated" and "planned" ?

I watched the Joe Rogan vid a couple of days ago.Musk took one puff off a tobacco and weed rolled cig. Took one pull and did not inhale it. What's all fuss. Plus it is legal in California. And next month in all of Canada.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Musk has changed the world for the better and for that I think he is a genius. 

He changed the whole car industry by introducing Tesla for masses. Now other car manufacturers are following the path he started. I don't care how Tesla is going financially, I care more about the bravery to take the first steps and show the way.

Obviously he has not been a perfect gentleman during the past months. What he said about the diver was simply incredibly stupid and he should apologise his words and behaviour.

That being said. I don't want Musk to turn into a vanilla personality. A bit of creative craziness is a welcome trait on any talented person in my opinion. That's also a good source of innovation and energy to push the wilders ideas through. 

3 hours ago, oilinki said:

he should apologise his words and behaviour.

Tesla CEO Elon Musk apologized after making the baseless claim that a British diver involved in the Thai cave rescue mission was a pedophile. 

Musk said that he had made the claim out of “anger” because the diver criticized his idea to save a previously trapped Thai boys' soccer team with a "mini-submarine."

He called spelunker Vernon Unsworth a "pedo guy" after the latter said Musk could "stick his submarine where it hurts."

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/07/18/elon-musk-apologizes-to-british-cave-diver-followingbaseless-pedo-gu.html

1 minute ago, Srikcir said:

Tesla CEO Elon Musk apologized after making the baseless claim that a British diver involved in the Thai cave rescue mission was a pedophile. 

Musk said that he had made the claim out of “anger” because the diver criticized his idea to save a previously trapped Thai boys' soccer team with a "mini-submarine."

He called spelunker Vernon Unsworth a "pedo guy" after the latter said Musk could "stick his submarine where it hurts."

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/07/18/elon-musk-apologizes-to-british-cave-diver-followingbaseless-pedo-gu.html

And yet he doubled or tripled down his claims later, just few days ago.

http://fortune.com/2018/09/04/elon-musk-pedo-tweet-pedophilia-accusations-diver/

Musk is currently unstable personality, who should take a long vacation to find what he wants to offer to the world once again. 

He has done good things developing new ideologies and technologies. But if he goes after much powerless people like a school bully, he is no hero. Then he is just another Trump wannabe. 

I thoroughly enjoyed watching that video. Elon Musk comes across as full of wisdom and humanity and of course with more than a touch of genius.

Regarding the Vern slur, it is pertinent that at the end of the interview with Joe Rogan, Musk is asked if he has any message for humanity beyond "Love's the answer". He said:

"People should be nicer to each other; give more credit to each other. Don't assume they are mean until they are actually mean. You know, its easy to demonise people...you're usually wrong about it. People are nicer than you think. Give people more credit."

I agree with those sentiments. And both he and Vern should have lived by them.

11 minutes ago, Antonymous said:

"People should be nicer to each other; give more credit to each other. Don't assume they are mean until they are actually mean. You know, its easy to demonise people...you're usually wrong about it. People are nicer than you think. Give people more credit."

I agree with those sentiments. And both he and Vern should have lived by them.

Yes, nice sentiments , although what was required was a full retraction from the allegations , admitting that they were false and a full apology .

12 minutes ago, Antonymous said:

From both of them.

Although Verns comments were rather brash , uncalled for and unpleasant , I dont think that an apology is required .

He would only being apologizing because Musk apologized to him .

Verns comments alone do not warrant an apology

• Sad 1

Mad Genius

And as to the saying,  “There is a fine line between genius and insanity”, one might be interested in reading this article...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/6243747/Fine-line-between-genius-and-madness-scientists-find.html

I’d wager a hefty amount that he is in fact (as he himself surmises) bipolar.

3 hours ago, Srikcir said:

Yes , then a few days later , Musk repeated the allegations and also made further specific  allegations

16 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

I would say incredible genius, but I would also say that he is an incredible genius who is having a bit of a breakdown recently; I sincerely hope that he gets his act together again. And, soon.

Musk has been one of the driving forces behind three great things; PayPal, Tesla, and Space X. Anyone who has that on their resume is clearly someone to watch and is also capable of more. And, someone humanity needs.

Think about the paragraph above. PayPal has provided a method to securely conduct financial transaction on the Web and assisted the growth of e-commerce; when the history of Economics in our era is written, this will figure prominently. Tesla and the electric car are the way of the future, especially in light of the role of vehicle's emissions in accelerating Climate Change. Finally, Space X, as a private sector company, is one of the current leaders in potential space travel.

Although Musk wasnt the driving force behind Paypal , he was just a small part of it and he wasnt there very long

It's been interesting reading about Musk.   I thought of him as being just a nutter, but when you look at what he has done carefully, he is an innovator and a genius.   Sadly, much of what he can accomplish may be impeded by the public perception of his behavior.   

So many great minds have not been very nice people to deal with.   It probably goes with the territory.   

• Like 1