Foreign expats in Thailand hail the new electric VIP taxis, claims innovator

webfact

21 hours ago, ChristianBlessing said:

Remarkable thread. Countless threads complaining of pollution and smoke-belching diesel vehicles, and the moment we learn of an effort to provide clean transport the news is met with derision and dismissal. EV Society Co. Ltd. doesn't claim to have invented the vehicle or it's features, and at £47,000/$62,000 a car (UK price) the higher fare may be justified. At the least one could at least hope that this service raises the profile of electric cars in Thailand.

Par for the course on this site.  Any time there is anything even remotely positive you can guarantee the same old people will slag it off.  It is rather sad.

19 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Yes, I see no mention of them doing anything about it, except whitewashing to "no ploplem". All in all the BYD project looks like a struggling company where Buffet probably burned his fingers. I expect the cars to be sitting on some lot abandoned within less than half a year.

A car crashed in China six years ago and caught fire after being smashed in to at 112mph by a drunk guy in a GT-R.  Now the Thais are whitewashing it and saying "no ploplem" (whatever that is) because someone is now using the same brand of car here.  You do realise how ridiculous you sound don't you?

Just now, josephbloggs said:

A car crashed in China six years ago and caught fire after being smashed in to at 112mph by a drunk guy in a GT-R.  Now the Thais are whitewashing it and saying "no ploplem" (whatever that is) because someone is now using the same brand of car here.  You do realise how ridiculous you sound don't you?

Chinese are whitewashing it. As in:

The Chinese investigative team concluded that the cause of the fire was "electric arcs caused by the short-circuiting of high voltage lines of the high voltage distribution box ignited combustible material in the vehicle including the interior materials and part of the power batteries." The team also found that the collisions were the cause of death of the occupants, not the fire. They also noted that the battery pack did not explode, and 75% of the single cell batteries did not catch on fire, and no flaws in the safety design of the vehicle were identified.[26]

Hey they were dead before it burst to flames so nothing wrong in our car. I ain't getting into one of those, a double death trap when combined with a yaba-head somchai behind the wheel.

10 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Chinese are whitewashing it. As in:

Hey they were dead before it burst to flames so nothing wrong in our car. I ain't getting into one of those, a double death trap when combined with a yaba-head somchai behind the wheel.

Read again.  It was smashed into at over 112 mph.

Remember the Mercedes that hit the Ford Fiesta at a similar speed and it caught fire.  Ever getting in another Ford?  I remember reading of a Toyota that had a high speed crash and caught fire.  I guess you "ain't" got in to a Toyota since?  Just Google and there are plenty of cars catching fire after big accidents, cars of all makes and models.

Must be tough for you having to walk everywhere, but at least you're safe.  Hope you never have to walk past a no ploblem Somchai though - you never know what that yaba head might do.

Edited by josephbloggs
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, DrTuner said:

The production price or the padded price with the brown envelopes included?

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/byd/e6/first-drives/byd-e6-hatchback

24k GBP estimated in UK - in 2011.

I know I shouldn't feed the troll, but you are aware of import duties right?  The prices of cars here are not padded with brown envelopes - they are subject to extremely high taxes that are clearly documented.

1 minute ago, josephbloggs said:

I know I shouldn't feed the troll, but you are aware of import duties right?  The prices of cars here are not padded with brown envelopes - they are subject to extremely high taxes that are clearly documented.

Clearly documented as in brought to the country as spare parts, assembled and sold as gray imports? Nothing is clear around here, especially not scratch my back - deals with China.

8 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Must be tough for you having to walk everywhere, but at least you're safe.  Hope you never have to walk past a no ploblem Somchai though - you never know what that yaba head might do.

I drive myself in a tank-like import made in Japan. Wish I had a military spec humvee though, Somchai-proof.

1 minute ago, DrTuner said:

Clearly documented as in brought to the country as spare parts, assembled and sold as gray imports? Nothing is clear around here, especially not scratch my back - deals with China.

Yes, some grey importers would disassemble and reassemble to obtain lower tax rates.  Some would mis-represent the value of the car for the same reason.  Neither of those has anything to do with the price of cars here or the clearly documented taxes and duties.

1 minute ago, josephbloggs said:

Which is?

A Mitsu Grandis, know as space wagon here. Too bad they don't make them anymore. Might take a look at the new CX-8. The pickup SUV kangaroo carts with fixed axles used around here I'll let the somchai rally drivers have.

My word you really are a negative miserable bugger aren't you.  Of course tourists coming off a long flight and wanting to head to their hotel will not appreciate being offered cold water, wet wipes or WiFi in their taxi.  They'll obviously just be perplexed thinking, "I could have gone upstairs at the airport to the 7-Eleven (that I didn't know was there) to get water and wet wipes.  Plus I could easily have queued up to get a SIM card then used my own data rather than using his WiFi.  And this interior is equal to a petrol powered taxi.  Can't wait to tell my friends how ridiculous Thailand is when I get back home, they won't believe this!"

You forgot to mention they could have rented their own car too, they may as well not have taxis at all.
Not miserable just well informed before I undertake a trip to somewhere.

Might have also to do with that I not consider myself as a tourist anymore since I live here around 5 years already.

But you're right. For the wealthy quality tourists these Vip taxis might be useful.
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

A Mitsu Grandis, know as space wagon here. Too bad they don't make them anymore. Might take a look at the new CX-8. The pickup SUV kangaroo carts with fixed axles used around here I'll let the somchai rally drivers have.

Oh no.  Oh no oh no.  You are in grave danger.  Plenty of Mitsubishis that were built in Japan have caught fire.  Mitsubishi even said "no ploplem" and whitewashed safety issues with some of their vehicles:

"Corporate pride is a pillar of the national identity, and the scandal has shocked Japan. At least 40 prefectures and local governments banned the purchase of Mitsubishi vehicles, and the Japanese press is issuing almost daily reports on fires and accidents involving Mitsubishi cars and trucks."

How come you are overlooking your usual stringent safety standards?  I'm very suplised.

8 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Oh no.  Oh no oh no.  You are in grave danger.  Plenty of Mitsubishis that were built in Japan have caught fire.  Mitsubishi even said "no ploplem" and whitewashed safety issues with some of their vehicles:

"Corporate pride is a pillar of the national identity, and the scandal has shocked Japan. At least 40 prefectures and local governments banned the purchase of Mitsubishi vehicles, and the Japanese press is issuing almost daily reports on fires and accidents involving Mitsubishi cars and trucks."

How come you are overlooking your usual stringent safety standards?  I'm very suplised.

Really, took you 5mins? Couldn't google mass explosions of Grandis's? Try harder.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DrTuner said:

Ah wikipedia quotes, might want to add the relevant one:

State subsidies to wonders for sales (and politicians pockets). Just ask Tesla, another one that wouldn't exist without them. Might want to ask how come you don't see BYDs filling the western roads.

That JD Powers thing has strange cars in it apart from the Mazda 6, must be some very narrow Chinese segment: https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/byd-ranks-at-top-of-jd-powers-quality-study-300178747.html . Nice carage they got for smashing the cars in though: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20131118005484/en/BYD-Wins-ATTI-Crash-Test-Facility-Year

Anything that comes from China, especially data and claims, is to be treated with extreme prejudice (If you don't believe me, ask the SEC about reverse mergers). The references reek of the usual start-up style "let' dig up some obscure local news, spin & tweet them and we're golden". 

While I don't dispute much of what's posted here concerning BYD, note that fuel subsidies in the US amounted to $4.6 billion in 2017. It's likely that most petroleum production in the US would cease were the subsidies lifted. In the meantime, once Tesla exceeds 200,000 vehicle sales, the subsidy is halved for one year, and eliminated thereafter. Furthermore, the $7500 "subsidy" offered by the federal government is not actually a discount on the car; rather, it's a tax rebate. It's entirely conceivable that not all tax filers will see their tax liability reduced by that amount, if any at all.

Edited by ChristianBlessing
clarity

49 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Did you miss the recent scandal where they found Custom's officials implicated in a car theft ring from the UK importing into Laem Chabang port?

No I didn't - in my post above I even referred to it.   My post was in a reference to someone who said that the price of cars is much higher here than the UK because they are inflated with "stuffed envelopes".  They are not.  The prices are high because of taxes and duties.