I always get stomach pain after eating this food

USslugga

Laab Muu!!!

Every time!  It tastes so good and I don't want to give it up but I always wake up the next morning with a stomach ache from it.  I used to think it was because it was so spicy, but last night I had a batch that wasn't all that spicy so I thought I'd be ok the next day.  But sure enough, I wake up today and my stomach is in a lot of pain.  

No other Thai foods give me consistent stomach pain like Laab Muu.  Is it just me?  Why do other spicy Thai foods sit well with my stomach but Laab Muu always gives me a stomach ache the next day? 

Is this Laab Muu from any vendor or from the same source? Is it the dumbed-down, cooked ground pork-only version of the 'Full Monty' with liver and other shopped up pig bits in? There's only red onions, scallions and cilantro as the veg that's pretty much common to all derivatives. There's also possibly over-use of MSG to consider? Maybe your OD'ing on sticky rice while eating the Laab Muu... or maybe the converse?

Stop eating it!!!!!  Or have Laab Chicken, fish or buffalo instead.

Are you getting it from the same place each time?  If so try it from another place.

I eat all sorts of Thai food.. very spicy, raw, fermented, insects and other things... but I can not eat the simple green Thai curry. 

Some combination of the ingredients make me have to rush to the bathroom 5 minutes after eating it!!!!   I can eat very spicy Thai food and nothing else has this effect on my stomach.  So I have given up ever eating it now.

20 minutes ago, vinegarbase said:

Could be something you are allergic to in the ingredients. You also have to be careful in Thailand because even recently it has been in the news of Thai farms getting busted for adding red meat enhancer to the pigs.

What is "red meat enhancer"?

7 minutes ago, CanuckThai said:

What is "red meat enhancer"?

There are tons of chemicals out there that could be used. Basically it's to help the pigs grow less fat and more lean red meat. Things like ractopamine, clenbuterol, salbutamol, etc. I constantly see stories in Thai news popping up about farms getting busted by the livestock development department for using these things in Thailand despited being banned. 

2 hours ago, vinegarbase said:

There are tons of chemicals out there that could be used. Basically it's to help the pigs grow less fat and more lean red meat. Things like ractopamine, clenbuterol, salbutamol, etc. I constantly see stories in Thai news popping up about farms getting busted by the livestock development department for using these things in Thailand despited being banned. 

Ah, ok.   I thought Thais came up with a new and improved method...(pre-feed with MSG, HP or Heinz 57)  ☢️

1 hour ago, balo said:

Just eat natural healthy food instead, stop eating at all the cheap unhygienic Thai food stalls. 

Laab Muu isn't healthy or natural?  All it is is pork, vegetables, and spices.  By ingredients alone, it should be a healthy dish.  

5 hours ago, LennyW said:

Whats that thing about doing the same thing over and over again but expecting a different result............

Haha, yes, but everytime, I tell myself, "This is so tasty. It will be different this time."  It never is.

But it's odd because I never feel any stomach pain on the day I eat it.  It's always the following morning when I start to regret eating the Laab.  No diarrhea or anything, just painful stomach cramps that last from morning to noon or so. 

I eat spicier foods occasionally and I don't feel stomach pain.  And it's not a cleanliness issue: I get a variety of foods from the same stall and the only one that gives me a stomach ache is the Laab.  I just cannot figure out what ingredient in Laab could be causing me stomach pain.

13 hours ago, Sheryl said:

There is a sort of rice bran in the laab, that is what gives it the granular texture. Possibly you are having trouble digesting it.

Not really rice bran, but roasted raw sticky rice flour. Doubtful this would cause stomach problems, especially after larb dressing has been absorbed into rice, but agree everyone's stomach is different.

OP doesn't really describe nature of stomach pain (heartburn, pain) but if it is acid indigestion type, some people use pickled garlic as well as brine from pickled garlic as substitute for lime juice, which might bother some people's stomach. I'm thinking this might be a possible suspect because pickled garlic isn't found in very many other dishes.

22 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Stop eating it!!!!!  Or have Laab Chicken, fish or buffalo instead.

Are you getting it from the same place each time?  If so try it from another place.

I eat all sorts of Thai food.. very spicy, raw, fermented, insects and other things... but I can not eat the simple green Thai curry. 

Some combination of the ingredients make me have to rush to the bathroom 5 minutes after eating it!!!!   I can eat very spicy Thai food and nothing else has this effect on my stomach.  So I have given up ever eating it now.

impressive

15 hours ago, Sheryl said:

There is a sort of rice bran in the laab, that is what gives it the granular texture. Possibly you are having trouble digesting it.

they roast rice in a pan to brown it and then grind it up into smaller pieces.  So it is basically uncooked rice bits.  Gives lots of texture and some taste from the charring.

On 9/13/2018 at 9:27 AM, seajae said:

I suffer from certain food that is loaded with msg, this is one of them, seems some thai food gets much bigger doses of msg than others and has a bad effect on you

I suspect also sodiumglutamates...they do not only created stomach problems but also "ringing" in my ears

Is there a lot of chilli in it? I love chilli, and throw extra in from the small bowl as well with the fish sauce or whatever it is. But I know, my body will reject it, and I cannot go far from a toilet, starting aroung lunchtime the following day, lasting 3 hrs or so. 

If I haveflights next day, or somewhere I have to go, I eat non spicy boring shit the night before.

Cheers.

Is it cooked fresh to order or has it been hanging around for hours in the heat?

Laab is often eaten raw, but when it is cooked, it is not for long enough to cook all the ingredients thoroughly. the pig skin will definitely not be cooked enough.

As suggested by Moe666, if you can find it, try NamTok Moo. I much prefer it to Laab.

I love Laab Moo, with sticky rice  and f#ck yao; definitely will try the Nam Tok Mao. For some reason Som Tam just doesn't do it for me, but my SO loves it (Som Tam), and she's Thai not Issan. Always felt like I'm missing out on something as so many guys rave about it.

Archived