Myanmar's Suu Kyi says jailed Reuters journalists can appeal verdict

webfact

Myanmar's Suu Kyi says jailed Reuters journalists can appeal verdict

2018-09-13T030154Z_1_LYNXNPEE8C066_RTROPTP_3_MYANMAR-JOURNALISTS-TRIAL.JPG

Myanmar State Counselor Aung San Suu Kyi attends the opening session of the 31st ASEAN Summit in Manila, Philippines, November 13, 2017. REUTERS/Athit Perawongmetha/Files

HANOI (Reuters) - Myanmar government leader Aung San Suu Kyi on Thursday said two jailed Reuters journalists can appeal their seven-year sentence, and that their jailing had nothing to do with freedom of expression.

"I wonder whether very many people have actually read the summary of the judgement which had nothing to do with freedom of expression at all, it had to do with an Official Secrets Act," Suu Kyi said at the World Economic Forum on ASEAN in Hanoi in response to a question from the forum moderator.

"If we believe in the rule of law, they have every right to appeal the judgment and to point out why the judgement was wrong."

There has been international condemnation of the jailing of two Reuters journalists, Wa Lone, 32, and Kyaw Soe Oo, 28 after they were found guilty of breaching a law on state secrets.

(Reporting by James Pearson, Mai Nguyen, Khanh Vu, Writing by A. Ananthalakshmi and John Geddie; Editing by Sam Holmes)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-09-13

Suu Kyi is a disgrace, years under house arrest, promised when / if i get elected things will change.

Nothing has changed, minorities still being persecuted.

She should hang her head in shame, her dead English husband would be disgusted with her actions/ non actions.

A lot of people wringing their hands in despair about Aung San Suu Kyi's enduring reticence on anything that may impune the Tatmadaw. Maybe they are victims of all the faux adulation and false hope showered on the dictatorship that handily re-invented itself in 2012, held an election and granted her the largely honorific, newly created role of the State Counsellor, or de facto head of state.

"In law and government, de facto describes practices that exist in reality, even if not legally recognised by official laws."

Polite but unfortunate way of saying 'a puppet.'

1 hour ago, keith101 said:

It seems to me this lady is no better than the Military and is not the real leader and to think she won the Nobel Peace Prize .

Absolutely agree with you.  For a woman that married a British man, has two British sons you would think  would show at least one grain of decency.  The worlds respect for her has gone down the drain and I hope the Noble award committee don't make the same mistake twice.  As for being the same as the murdering Burmese generals then I think she is worse as she now sides with them and complicit in the loss of Rohygan lives in their 100s of thousands 

19 hours ago, keith101 said:

It seems to me this lady is no better than the Military and is not the real leader and to think she won the Nobel Peace Prize .

She never asked for the prize, delivered by virtue signalling do gooders, you know the same ones that gave one to Obama. The people of Myanmar would happily send it back.

17 hours ago, Esso49 said:

Absolutely agree with you.  For a woman that married a British man, has two British sons you would think  would show at least one grain of decency.  The worlds respect for her has gone down the drain and I hope the Noble award committee don't make the same mistake twice.  As for being the same as the murdering Burmese generals then I think she is worse as she now sides with them and complicit in the loss of Rohygan lives in their 100s of thousands 

100s of thousands? Where did you get that from?

What did you expect would happen when an armed rebellion takes place, demanding an independent Islamic state and that all non-Muslims be killed? You know, the usual stuff.

10 hours ago, AsiaHand said:

She is helping Myanmar to become a dictatorship and may she rot in hell for it.

19 hours ago, keith101 said:

Oh so you worked out that the military is the real power in Myanmar, at last, congratulations. Who would you replace her with? She would have had to resign, go back into exile, and that would be the end of that democratic experiment.

Archived