U.S. Supreme Court nominee Kavanaugh denies sexual misconduct allegation

rooster59

U.S. Supreme Court nominee Kavanaugh denies sexual misconduct allegation

By Jan Wolfe

800x800 (3).jpg

FILE PHOTO: Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh testifies during the third day of his confirmation hearing before the Senate Judiciary Committee on Capitol Hill in Washington, U.S., September 6, 2018. REUTERS/Alex Wroblewski/File Photo

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh on Friday denied an allegation of sexual misconduct dating back to when he was a high school student, and a senior Republican senator said there was no reason to delay his confirmation to the court.

Senator Dianne Feinstein, the top Democrat on the Senate Judiciary Committee, said on Thursday she received information about Kavanaugh from a person she declined to identify, and that she had referred the matter to the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

The New Yorker magazine reported on Friday that in July, shortly after President Donald Trump nominated Kavanaugh, Feinstein's office received a letter detailing a woman’s alleged encounter with Kavanaugh while they were high school students.

It said the woman had accused Kavanaugh of trying to force himself on her at a party, holding her down and covering her mouth with his hand, but that she was able to free herself. Neither Feinstein nor the magazine identified the woman.

"I categorically and unequivocally deny this allegation," Kavanaugh, 53, said in a statement put out by the White House on Friday. “I did not do this back in high school or at any time."

Democrats have fought Kavanaugh's nomination and are seeking to delay his confirmation.

A spokesman for the committee’s Republican chairman, Senator Chuck Grassley, on Friday said the planned committee vote on Kavanaugh’s confirmation would proceed next Thursday as scheduled.

"Judge Kavanaugh has undergone six FBI full-field investigations from 1993 to 2018,” he said in a statement. “No such allegation resembling the anonymous claims ever surfaced in any of those 6 FBI reports.”

Feinstein's office did not immediately respond to a request on Friday for comment.

A conservative federal appeals court judge nominated by Trump to the lifetime position on the nine-member high court, Kavanaugh made no major missteps in questioning by senators during his confirmation hearing last week.

Trump’s fellow Republicans control the Senate by a narrow margin. With no sign yet of any Republicans planning to vote against Kavanaugh, he seems poised to win confirmation despite Democratic opposition.

In party-line votes, the Republican-led Senate Judiciary Committee on Thursday rejected motions by Democratic senators seeking access to more documents relating to Kavanaugh's service in the White House under Republican President George W. Bush more than a decade ago.

A final Senate confirmation vote is likely by the end of the month.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-09-15

Don't the Dems understand that they are making a rod for their own backs? Every time they play some stupid child's game it's going to come back and bite them in the bum! Feinstein knows that she's out next election, she's made her "bent" hundreds of millions so her attitude is obviously "so what!".

Us politics is very sad now that the D's have been shown to be the puppets to Soros's  strings!

23 minutes ago, TPI said:

Don't the Dems understand that they are making a rod for their own backs? Every time they play some stupid child's game it's going to come back and bite them in the bum! Feinstein knows that she's out next election, she's made her "bent" hundreds of millions so her attitude is obviously "so what!".

Us politics is very sad now that the D's have been shown to be the puppets to Soros's  strings!

Huh? She'll probably win a new six year term, currently leading by 8 points in the polls. Yes, she's old. Are you ageist? I'm also reading some dog whistles in your sick post. Soros card. 

My theory on why she did this is as a low odds stall tactic as republican women senators Collins and Murkowski are getting lots of constituent pressure to vote against Cavanaugh because of the abortion issue, and maybe more time would help. Also of course to stall it until after the midterms. 

Combined with his "blindness" to boss/mentor/friend, disgraced judge Alex Kozinski (long "record" of sexual harassment), and rumors of a nasty gambling habit and a vast trove of authored documents kept from the public, the president might be better served withdrawing this nomination, doing a better job of vetting another judge, and move forward. 

Having this cloud hanging over his every judgment will erode the people's faith in the Supreme Court. Hmm, maybe that's Trump's and Putin's goal?

Quite the upstanding Supreme Court nominee. I guess the WH wants someone that mirrors the sexual predator sitting in the Oval Office.

In the letter, the woman alleged that, during an encounter at a party, Kavanaugh held her down, and that he attempted to force himself on her. She claimed in the letter that Kavanaugh and a classmate of his, both of whom had been drinking, turned up music that was playing in the room to conceal the sound of her protests, and that Kavanaugh covered her mouth with his hand.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/a-sexual-misconduct-allegation-against-the-supreme-court-nominee-brett-kavanaugh-stirs-tension-among-democrats-in-congress

Trump talking points, fine-tuned by Bill Shine:

"It didn't happen."

"If it did happen it wasn't illegal."

"It was illegal but a long time ago."

"It was just "locker-room" behavior."

"What guy hasn't tried to rape a girl?"

And the Jim Jordan defense...

"Judge Kavanaugh is a great girl's basketball coach." *

* except when he asks the girls to throw a game.

2 hours ago, TPI said:

Soros?  

I disagree, more likely Voldermort.  Or Lex Luther.

Oh wait, Voldermort is a Republican.

:clap2:

41 minutes ago, Boon Mee said:

Feinstein's hail mary is going down in flames. 

This fine Supreme Court candidate will be confirmed shortly. 

You might be right insomuch as the Republicans have no concern that Kavanaugh is unfit for the office of Supreme Court Judge.

But then he can also be impeached.

If gets confirmed he will be impeached.

7 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

You might be right insomuch as the Republicans have no concern that Kavanaugh is unfit for the office of Supreme Court Judge.

Do you just watch CNN "contributors" and parrot what they say on TVF?

Criminal Feinstein should be questioned about her Chinese driver who worked for her for 20 years. It turns out he was a spy for China. How much classified info did he have access to? How many agents were killed because of his access to Feinstein's conversations and documents?

As far as Kavanaugh goes, he will be on the Supreme Court and he will be a fair judge.

1 minute ago, RickTik said:

Criminal Feinstein should be questioned about her Chinese driver who worked for her for 20 years. It turns out he was a spy for China. How much classified info did he have access to? How many agents were killed because oh his access to Feinstein?

As far as Kavanaugh goes, he will be the next Supreme Court Judge.

There you go bringing up substantive facts, why dont you want to talk about some letter from some unknown source making wild claims from 40 years ago?

What are you a Trump lover? Geez!

56 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

This is an interesting proposition. Obviously, a Democratic House could hold an impeachment hearing, and he could possibly be impeached. But he would never be convicted in the Senate.

That said, an impeachment hearing might bring much, much, much more information to the fore. Information which Kavanaugh might wish to leave unearthed? So maybe he will make the call to withdraw?

But he's purported to be a very, very, very bad high-stakes poker player, so maybe he'll go all in and hope his pair of twos gets him through all the bad news which would stain his 'legacy'? No clue why Kennedy went all in on Kavanaugh, unless...

1 hour ago, RickTik said:

Criminal Feinstein should be questioned about her Chinese driver who worked for her for 20 years. It turns out he was a spy for China. How much classified info did he have access to? How many agents were killed because of his access to Feinstein's conversations and documents?

As far as Kavanaugh goes, he will be on the Supreme Court and he will be a fair judge.

(1/2) The FBI told me 5 years ago it had concerns that China was seeking to recruit an administrative member of my Calif staff (despite no access to sensitive information). I took those concerns seriously, learned the facts and made sure the employee left my office immediately.

https://twitter.com/SenFeinstein/status/1025820020390207495?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

(2/2) Compare that to your actions: attacking the FBI and refusing the advice of your national security team. SAD! I appreciated then and now the diligent work of our law enforcement and intelligence agencies and acted in the best interests of the country. Give it a try!

https://twitter.com/SenFeinstein/status/1025820021698772993

:coffee1:

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

This is an interesting proposition. Obviously, a Democratic House could hold an impeachment hearing, and he could possibly be impeached. But he would never be convicted in the Senate.

That said, an impeachment hearing might bring much, much, much more information to the fore. Information which Kavanaugh might wish to leave unearthed? So maybe he will make the call to withdraw?

But he's purported to be a very, very, very bad high-stakes poker player, so maybe he'll go all in and hope his pair of twos gets him through all the bad news which would stain his 'legacy'? No clue why Kennedy went all in on Kavanaugh, unless...

It'll be a new and unique situation when this is over, all of it depending on how DT goes down.  If he is removed from office by legal fiat, or steps down voluntarily (which I doubt), or commits suicide (double doubt) or dies in office by an accident or health issue, it may come into question whether he was a legitimate president, and then there will be the settling of things he upset while the imposter was in the WH.  If he finishes out his term he'll have enough to whine about for the rest of his days, but I doubt he'll emerge without some of his crud sticking to him.  This collusion on Fifth Ave is only a very small part, the case being built against him is of RICO quality, the people running it know their stuff, and when they make the move it will be impressive.  Some younger people may have the impression that big, Federal investigations are as farcical as Bengazi hearings.

I think they should erect a guillotine on Capital Hill, maybe not to actually use it, but to give the rascals a daily reminder....

2 minutes ago, TonyClifton said:

Do what? What has been alleged? Has anyone seen or heard a specific allegation?  NO?  Then why are we discussing 100 percent hearsay crap?

We're discussing it because it's news. Feinstein sent something to the FBI. Farrow is writing an article about it. Perhaps he will make stuff more public. Kavanaugh publicly denied. That's all news. I agree it would be much better to have more details about the allegation and the name of the accuser. But even without that, this is still news, and people do discuss news, if that's OK with you. 

13 minutes ago, TonyClifton said:

Do what? What has been alleged? Has anyone seen or heard a specific allegation?  NO?  Then why are we discussing 100 percent hearsay crap?

They can't help it Tony. They are in breathless glee for anything from anywhere no matter what. They completely disregard the obvious doj cia and fbi colluding and set up. 

They are dreaming of the day they can dance with joy around the campfire and will accept nothing but their hearts desire to rid them of the man that laughs at their phony moral outrage. 

I wonder how emotional and mental they will get when the plot is exposed. 

While I do not agree with Mr Kavanaugh  judicial philosophy, I am very suspicious of all of a sudden- someone coming forward after  40 years and reporting an incident that happened in High School.  Kavanaugh was a minor at the time  If the alleged 'victim' was so traumatized by what happened at a party -did she tell her parents; teachers; friends etc and even then  was it really a 'crime'  or  simply the action of a HS student at a party trying  to make out with a girl who evidently said no and that was the end of it.

Archived