The Flu Is Here

Ijustwannateach

Lots of coughing and sneezing around Bangkok these days. Last night I woke up with a horrible headache, fever, and runny nose- I was barely strong enough to get out of bed. I've taken off work today and am recovering little-by-little. Any suggestions for making recovery as smooth as possible? This is a bad time of year to be sick.

Ah, the cold. Made its rounds down here a few weeks ago. Nearly everyone had it. I got it, so did my husband, one of our staff and the husband of the other one.

Its a miserable head cold :o Fortunately, the really bad symptoms only last 2-3 days. I only felt really ill for one full day but the stuffy head symptoms lasted for 2 weeks :D

Vitamin C, fluids and Tiffy!! The wonder drug!!!

Vitamin C, fluids

yes lots of the vit C.....orange juice...works well.

also hot ginger tea is something I drink when the flu is bad...especially when with coughs and lots of sneezes

theres also some chinese herbal type drink that i occasionally have tried...and sometime that works too. its not meant to cure fevers...but helps when u have sore throat and colds...its called 'loh-hung-kuay' hopefully u can get the right way to say it. ask in pharmacies....it comes in small cubes packed in green colour paper box.

get well soon :o

My commiserations. Just recovering from a bout of 'flu type bug, which began on Monday with a sore throat. Was feeling like sh-one-t on Tuesday and worse on Wednesday, but progressively better since. I prefer not to use any meds except neurofen, but take Vit C, drink plenty of water, gargle frequently and rest a lot. When you're feeling at the worst point you haven't got the strength to do any of that or anything.

Seems this one is more widspread than we could imagine!

Im in the UK and over this last week Ive had a friend in Leeds affected by this flu symptom bug whats doing its rounds, then also a friend in Wakefiled, also many of my frineds here in manchester including my girlfriend and her kids are also affected. One of my friends believes its due to the cold weather im a little sceptical as I cycle most places and I mysefl am subjected to the same weather! Hoping all get well soon

Reading this makes me happy that I got my flu shot 2 weeks ago 500 baht. I hope that it keeps the flu bug away,

Had it for two weeks, just got over it about a week ago.

Been trying to find a clinic who will administer flu shots in the Pattaya area. So far only the private hospitals (BP and Memorial) seem to offer it - @ nearly 2,000 for drug + doctor :o

Sorry to hear about that. Starve a fever, feed a cold, - what do you do to the flu?

You burn it. The only way to kill a virus is with pure alcohol, if it is external, or with heat, if it is internal. Let the fever run for a couple of days, unless it gets too high. And of course take lots of fluids, vitamin C and other things that enhance immunity. Essence of chicken, if you can stomach it.

--

Maestro

Been laid up for the last 2 weeks (hence bit quiet)and even took a week off work...wot ME...... :o

Did a Burns supper at the old George Inn down at London Bridge on the weekend before and reconed it must have been hiding in ma Whisky...

Monday morning went into the "Toil"...where you earn yer dosh... but felt like was being whacked with a cricket Bat.......whack -whack-thump -crack.. and I dont even play the poxy game.....

Quack put me on Anti Bios. Penecillian..(just like the old days when I caught the p......)and even now still geting over it...sure ....aint funny........as they say in LOS ...poo chaa chaa....

Anyway its been snowing all week over "ere and the weather is a bit miserable so looking forward to a bit of HEAT-WARMTH --sunshine ... in LOS in March....cant come soon enough... :D

Sorry to hear about that. Starve a fever, feed a cold, - what do you do to the flu?

You burn it. The only way to kill a virus is with pure alcohol, if it is external, or with heat, if it is internal. Let the fever run for a couple of days, unless it gets too high. And of course take lots of fluids, vitamin C and other things that enhance immunity. Essence of chicken, if you can stomach it.

--

Maestro

Ugggghhh... does that essence of chicken actually work?

Everybody upcountry's now got it too: raw throat, cough, fever, chills. I've lost my voice for 2-3 days (my students love it). So, we can blame Bangkokians for this? :o

Actually, my most likely exposure was from a guy who just back from the country who'd come down with it apparently en route- I just ate dinner with him for an hour or so, but I think that did it! Seems to be everywhere, anyway!

--

Maestro

Chemotherapy is good too! Large quantities of good whisky and a lot of Orange juice in the morning. I recommend Laphroig or Talisker!

It doesn’t work directly against the virus but it is rich in protein, strengthens your body and thus helps it to fight the virus better. It works twice as good if you believe in it.

--

Maestro

It doesn’t work directly against the virus but it is rich in protein, strengthens your body and thus helps it to fight the virus better. It works twice as good if you believe in it.

--

Maestro

...and what, pray tell, is 'essence' of chicken? In my English, it means merely the smell. Really? What works best? The barn yard essence, raw meat essence, or post-cooked essence?

Or, are you talking perhaps about chicken broth, or chicken consomme (sp), or chicken bullion?

I stay in the far North,and here also almost everywhere you go ,people coughing and sneezing.

My wife just recovered from a sinus infection and my son also severe,after all finished they got a cold again.

Seems like a very very flu going on like now.Can you imagine if the birdflu once will get their strenght...

you do not want to think about the consequenses,would be fatal to a lot....

...and what, pray tell, is 'essence' of chicken?

Perhaps “essence” wasn’t such a good choice of word. I tried to avoid the use of a brand name and while there are today several manufacturers of this type of product only “Brand’s Essence of Chicken” came to my mind. It is, in essence, a concentrated chicken broth and I believe it is possible to prepare it oneself, with a pot, water and a chicken.

You will see bottles of “Essence of Chicken” in the majority of gift baskets now lining the supermarket corridors before the Chinese New Year, and I saw them in these baskets before Christmas and the international New Year.

--

Maestro