BMA set to swoop on pigeon fanciers

rooster59

BMA set to swoop on pigeon fanciers

By The Nation Weekend

991425d8066f925b508158cbcbd64b7a.jpeg

BANGKOK has too many pigeons, according to health officials, and anyone caught feeding them can now be fined or jailed.

cf3bc4917bb8363a5d3c4bf1c35a6657.jpeg

Spurred by Prime Minister Prayut-Chan-o-cha, who recently ordered a ban on the practice, Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) Governor Aswin Kwanmuang vowed this week to enforce it strictly, especially in places where pigeons gather in large flocks.

8f4c8ce75deb610365ee357f0973256c.jpeg

Aswin said pigeons are known to carry several diseases that pose a threat to humans, such as meningitis and encephalitis.

He’s got his eye particularly on Lan Khon Muang, the “people’s ground” in front of the Giant Swing, where feeding the birds is popular and vendors sell feed to anyone feeling avian-friendly.

a0d240cc5d2f608117d6747802f5307c.jpeg

Aswin said a BMA regulation entails a fine of up to Bt25,000 or three years in jail for anyone selling or buying bird feed in a public area.

He said violators would initially be reprimanded and warned of the hazard the pigeons pose.

b4d31bd890b418558c701704b0b87b0b.jpeg

Fifty BMA district offices have been instructed to identify locations where pigeons accumulate and “take necessary action”, including enforcing the ban on feeding and trying to catch the birds to be released into forests.

0a56822455ec6a5ae585f67e98f6b2a7.jpeg

2949dc2345907acdab3e22bf792d88e8.jpeg

See more photos: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/gallery/album/230

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30354973

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-09-22

14 minutes ago, johng said:

I'm not sure if it worked but in central London which has a pigeon problem too they let poeple feed the birds but the birdfeed was "impregnated" with contraceptive.

Releasing them into nearby woods seems a bit daft to me as they have great homing abilities so will just fly back !

They won't, if they're not being fed.

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Eventually if there is no food for quite a while,  but a bit like the dogs they will forage in the rubbish bins and will eat almost anything  so quite a job to try just starving them out.

5 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Unlikely. The UAE government in Abu Dhabi tried the same idea many years ago. Captured a load and trucked them to a remote oasis. They stripped everything from the oasis and were back in town within a week.

• Haha 1

There are less birds flying in the sky, birds need to be left alone to survive with less forests to live.

Bangkok is a sesspit of disease of humans, garbage everywhere, polluted waterways, people using pavements as toilets but small man syndrome has made Bangkok Governor Aswipe lose his mind, and think not feeding pigeons is the answer to Bangkok becoming Shanghai

6 hours ago, johng said:

I'm not sure if it worked but in central London which has a pigeon problem too they let poeple feed the birds but the birdfeed was "impregnated" with contraceptive.

Releasing them into nearby woods seems a bit daft to me as they have great homing abilities so will just fly back !

We have the flying rats around my place and seems they don't like trees, concrete is their favourite, so I have palms and other plants all over my balconies. Wish I had bought an air rifle years back when you could.