Mercedes Benz Varta battery or any other good choice cheaper than 15000 ?

jrjrjr

hello,

In UK the Benz battery is sold 5000 thb.

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/car-parts/battery-10142/mercedes-benz/c-klasse/c-class-w205/100903-c-250-205-045

Benz Thailand asks 15000 thb.

Do you think that a standard battery shop in Thailand could have it or is it special ?

If not exactly the same, what is the best battery that I could buy here for less than 15000 thb ?

Thank you.

40 minutes ago, jvs said:

Just drive to a battery shop and tell them to put in a new one,probably around 3500 baht.

doesn't work with Mercedes as the battery needs a sensor connection. we replaced the battery in our CLS for 7,500 Baht (Mercedes price 23,500 Baht!).

1 minute ago, Naam said:

doesn't work with Mercedes as the battery needs a sensor connection. we replaced the battery in our CLS for 7,500 Baht (Mercedes price 23,500 Baht!).

Exactly Naam which is why I said in post 3 to replace same battery type and same A/Hr you will be OK. Get one with 3 year warranty. You need the type with the ancillary connection. If they fit an ordinary battery the sensor override will need programming into the ECU. But that's assuming is a modern M-B.  My very old one around  2007 , did not have that anyway.

59 minutes ago, Naam said:

I did not know that,i stand corrected.I had a mercedes in France but that was a while ago.

9 hours ago, Maybole said:

I have owned both Mercedes and BMW with Varta batteries. If you can find a Varta agent the battery may cost x baht. Put it in a BMW or Meredes box and the price becomes 2x+.

hello, do you know where to buy the varta batteries in Bangkok ? thanks.

are they really better ?

10 hours ago, Naam said:

hello, for mine, benz price is 15000, where did you find one for 7500 ?

thank you.

1 minute ago, Naam said:

normal battery shop in Pattaya. had to be ordered, 2 days delivery time.

great ! so they can get something very similar to the original varta ? just show them the model in your car and they will get it ? but did you change it yourself ? it seems that we have to reset the windows/roof and maybe other things, after installing a new bat ?

1 minute ago, jrjrjr said:

great ! so they can get something very similar to the original varta ? just show them the model in your car and they will get it ? but did you change it yourself ? it seems that we have to reset the windows/roof and maybe other things, after installing a new bat ?

i didn't do it myself, our driver did it. but there was no reset needed as these gadgets (i think) are handled by the secondary battery which is installed in the trunk. will ask our driver tomorrow how it was done exactly.

4 minutes ago, Naam said:

i didn't do it myself, our driver did it. but there was no reset needed as these gadgets (i think) are handled by the secondary battery which is installed in the trunk. will ask our driver tomorrow how it was done exactly.

I have read on benz forum that for the latest series (2010+) a reset is necessary but easy to do.

I was about to pay 15000thb at benz but when I saw that the battery costs only $150 in UK, I started to check how difficult it would be to change it.

How often do you change it on the benz ?

Big Battery Shops just connect another 12 V battery to most new vehicles now just to be safe, my German had a new Yuasa MF fitted for circa 2/ 25K, all the who ha seems contrived to me, BM wanted much more, like Benz seem to. Being a bit Radical 12 Volts is 12 Volts to me, and as long as it matches the Amp Hours its BS they talkkin. Brother paid  150 ish in Europe like poster above said for his 5Yo Coupe Benz so that sounds  fair too.His old Tesla Broken 2 months now,

.?

10 hours ago, jrjrjr said:

I have read on benz forum that for the latest series (2010+) a reset is necessary but easy to do.

I was about to pay 15000thb at benz but when I saw that the battery costs only $150 in UK, I started to check how difficult it would be to change it.

How often do you change it on the benz ?

the car is 4½ years old, battery change was after 3 years 9 months.

7 hours ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Big Battery Shops just connect another 12 V battery to most new vehicles now just to be safe, my German had a new Yuasa MF fitted for circa 2/ 25K, all the who ha seems contrived to me, BM wanted much more, like Benz seem to. Being a bit Radical 12 Volts is 12 Volts to me, and as long as it matches the Amp Hours its BS they talkkin. Brother paid  150 ish in Europe like poster above said for his 5Yo Coupe Benz so that sounds  fair too.His old Tesla Broken 2 months now,

.?

is it also büllshit that the car (Benz) won't start when there is no dedicated voltage feedback from the main battery? :coffee1:

There are 2 things in life that still amaze me.    The first is who are the designers of all the packaging  as it does not matter what you buy you can never get it back in the box afterwards.  The second is how do the car battery manufacturers design their products to fail almost immediately after the warranty periods ?

3 minutes ago, Esso49 said:
11 minutes ago, Naam said:

There are 2 things in life that still amaze me.    The first is who are the designers of all the packaging  as it does not matter what you buy you can never get it back in the box afterwards.  The second is how do the car battery manufacturers design their products to fail almost immediately after the warranty periods ?

failures of batteries do not happen all over.

examples:

-Porsche 928 bought 1978 sold in 1989 with the first battery (120 amp hours!).

-Chevy Corvette ZR bought in 1989 sold in 2000 with the first battery. (80 amp hours)

-Ford Thunderbird bought in 1996 sold in 2004 with the first battery. (wife's car, no idea AH)

i remember that the average lifetime of a car battery in Saudi Arabia (many rainy seasons ago) was one year!

examples:

-Chevy Corvette ZR bought in 1989 sold in 2000 with the first battery. (80 amp hours)

-Ford Thunderbird bought in 1996 sold in 2004 with the first battery. (wife's car, no idea AH)

i remember that the average lifetime of a car battery in Saudi Arabia (many rainy seasons ago) was one year!

Maybe its built in obsolescence ?  I was referring to modern day but as you mentioned older cars my very first car was a 1963  Austin Mini I bought from my Brother-in-Law in 1967. Not sure if he had ever changed the battery but I never did and sentimentality kept me from selling the car until it was 15 years old and I had driven it all over Europe in the first 5 years that I had owned it.  Never did I change the battery on that either. 

23 hours ago, Naam said:

hello, I checked the battery shop and I think you didnt get an AGM battery, because it cannot be so cheap.

For my car there are 3 classes of VARTA at the local shop:
Korea 3480 thb
Germany 6850
AGM 13850

Benz sells for 15000 the AGM, so there is not much difference for a quality battery.

13 hours ago, jrjrjr said:

hello, I checked the battery shop and I think you didnt get an AGM battery, because it cannot be so cheap.

i don't care whether it's an AGM battery or not. the only thing that counts is "it works".

On 9/24/2018 at 7:11 AM, Naam said:

i don't care whether it's an AGM battery or not. the only thing that counts is "it works".

Do you remember if you change it every 2 years or 4 years ? AGM lasts 4 years at least, but I would like a confirmation that a standard battery will "die" faster ?

Thank you.

1 minute ago, jrjrjr said:

Do you remember if you change it every 2 years or 4 years ? AGM lasts 4 years at least, but I would like a confirmation that a standard battery will "die" faster ?

Thank you.

unfortunately your question does not apply. we are nearly 14 years in Thailand and owned nine cars. the oldest car is my wife's CLS (4½ years).

37 minutes ago, Naam said:

unfortunately your question does not apply. we are nearly 14 years in Thailand and owned nine cars. the oldest car is my wife's CLS (4½ years).

sorry, you mean that you never kept a car long enough to change the bat ? and the one that you changed on the benz, how long did you use it ? thanks.

On 9/23/2018 at 3:56 PM, Naam said:

examples:

On 9/23/2018 at 3:56 PM, Naam said:

examples:

It's the heat that kills them...our bmw battery lasted nearly 6 years ...it was in the boot.

Our Everest is now nearly three years old and on the original 'Ford ' battery.

I lift the bonnet when stopped if somewhere where it won't get removed. Park it under cover whenever possible and frequently use my CTEK charger so the battery volts never get low ... letting volts get low is another 'bad news'.

I'll post the battery test slip from the 3-year service which is due at the end of November ... hopefully!!

Archived