Help! Ripped Off

peibol77

3 minutes ago, samsensam said:

the OP is genuinely asking for advice, smart-arse irrelevant comments achieve nothing.

Really ? Well, i don't think so, it might deter young naive people to repeat the same mistake.

That, of course IF the OP is "genuinely asking"

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, samsensam said:

the OP is genuinely asking for advice, smart-arse irrelevant comments achieve nothing.

I agree. Nothing positive anyway. All the bashing accomplishes is driving away good people away from the conversation. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

Really ? Well, i don't think so, it might deter young naive people to repeat the same mistake.

That, of course IF the OP is "genuinely asking"

Well ... there's twisted people everywhere so i guess technically you could be true but the OP seemed to had a pretty solid story.

So "if" he was telling the true, it's already embarrassing to go public, on top of that if half of the replies you get are "insulting", i would understand why he's not coming back.

It's like asking for a second round of punches in the balls ????

We told you you <deleted>*** up, stop coming back, all right all right here we go we waned you :

kicked_balls_fb.jpg

Edited by Pepper9187
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Pepper9187 said:

Well ... there's twisted people everywhere so i guess technically you could be true but the OP seemed to had a pretty solid story.

So "if" he was telling the true, it's already embarrassing to go public, on top of that if half of the replies you get are at best not helping, at worst just basically insulting, i would understand why he's not coming back.

It's like asking for a second round of punches in the balls ????

Fair enough, personally i would never buy a motobike online , let alone paying in advance, but to each his own.

There is not a "consumer protection law" in Thailand as we have in Western countries, so taking legal action could be extremely expensive, time consuming and perhaps useless.

You can do the math.

On 9/24/2018 at 2:01 PM, 4evermaat said:

If you have been to thailand so often, you could have communicated with people that you trust to make a contract for the bike on your behalf with a small deposit.  Then when you arrive you would pay the remaining funds.

Or if you trust your Thai/Foreigner friend that much, you could buy it in full in their name, and then they transfer it into your name later when you arrive.

Of course when you are scammed you can think of all the things that you could have done with that money.  But the best prevention is to consider ways to avoid or minimize getting caught in a scam in the first place.  Otherwise, history will repeat itself.

I am sympathetic with anyone who gets ripped off but the number of red flags that should have come up on this chain of events makes me agree that in the final analysis for this O.P. it could well have been a cheap lesson.  It might teach some caution on money and trusting people we don't know well.  As witness how many heart and bank broken Farang respondents have regaled us with their misfortunes over the years, for much greater loss than this.  Still sorry it happened. I have even helped desperate casual friends out, only to be burned and find that it was a gambling debt not the sob story told.  Never got it back.

Edited by The Deerhunter
  • Like 1

On 9/24/2018 at 12:59 PM, jackdd said:

I would go to their shop/office and have a talk with them in person

If they don't agree to give you the money back while you are there i would call the police and see if this helps.

If this does not help you can try to contact the consumer protection board, maybe they can help.

In case this all doesn't help anything you can decide if you want to get a lawyer involved, but the question will be if that's worth it

Don't muck around, go straight to the Police, unless you are prepared to take these guys on by yourself.

Name and shame them once you have proven your case. If it's fact they cannot apply the computer crimes act to you.

Cool bike....hope it turns up.

3 hours ago, Tippin said:

Don't muck around, go straight to the Police, unless you are prepared to take these guys on by yourself.

Name and shame them once you have proven your case. If it's fact they cannot apply the computer crimes act to you.

Cool bike....hope it turns up.

1 - As I said in an earlier post, the police are not interested in these cases - being civil, not criminal.

2 - Name and shame is defamation, even when the facts are true. TIT.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tippin said:

Not true - in Thailand, the truth is not a defence in defamation cases.  Damaging someone's reputation is what counts!

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Just a word for anyone having any problem in Thailand he/she can't solve: I wholeheartedly recommend Danai's services. He was extremely helpful and instrumental to get this matter solved. If anyone needs help in a situation here in Thailand, let me know and I'll forward his details.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, peibol77 said:

Topic solved. I contacted a Thai-American "helper", Danai, under the advice of jay1980. He helped me solve the situation, quite effectively. The culprit was located and brought to the police station, where he returned 20,000 baht in cash to me, apologized extensively and signed a written agreement in front of a police officer and 3 witnesses to return the remainder of my monies + 15% for expenses (traveling to Bangkokg, renting another motorbike, etc) on a monthly basis, returning 15,000 a month until done. He faces 5 years in jail if he fails to deliver on this agreement.

So while the matter is still pending full resolution (return of the remainder to me), I consider this thread has served its purpose.

To those who helped me, especially jay1980 who gave me Danai's contact, thank you!

Happy he was able to help work it out, originally wasn't sure if he would be able to help or not when I PM'ed with his contact details but happy your situation could be worked out, hope you can start bike shopping again soon and I recommend you view in person and maybe contract Dani to help make sure the transaction to get everything in your name smoothly, Cheers j

• Like 1