Begpackers in Chiang Mai Night Bazaar

SammyT

On 9/25/2018 at 9:25 PM, thaiguzzi said:

Jesus Christ!

And your point is?

Is it any of your business what this guy is doing?

Has it upset your sensitivity?

Are you morally outraged?

Are you going to grass him up?

Me personally, I say live and let live, none of my business.

Hope the guy is ok.

Live and let live? Really? Is that what you also say about Sammy?

• Like 1

I for one am enjoying this thread. If we were all sitting in the same bar there would be plenty of laughter. My guess is y'all are probably a little less judgemental and morally indignant in person than expressed here anonymously.

A little grit keeps things interesting.

Take the high road gents! Enjoy! ????

23 hours ago, SammyT said:

Also the fact that you incorrectly spelled "spell check" as one word while righteously calling out a spelling error of mine is more ironic than rain on your wedding day.

Not to be a nitpicker on points of grammar or spelling, but "spellcheck" is in fact accepted as one word (along with spell check and spell-check) in all major dictionaries. Just sayin'

1 minute ago, ChristianBlessing said:

Not to be a nitpicker on points of grammar or spelling, but "spellcheck" is in fact accepted as one word (along with spell check and spell-check) in all major dictionaries. Just sayin'

..And what about nitpicker ? Or maybe nit picker.. :whistling:

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, duanebigsby said:

There are a lot of fine people teaching English in Thailand. 

You're looking down on them because they do it for low salary.

I'm not "bumming around." I don't beg, I don't borrow, I live within my means.

You are being a snob. You make more money than a teacher so be it. People choose to teach for other reasons.

What do you contribute to Thailand?

ps. "that's" and "phony"  You aren't smart enough to use spellcheck when arguing

spelling?

It's an easy "farang" bashing thing..

"English" teachers-to disguise their laziness

"Begpackers.."

"Cheap Charlies.."

The list is endless.

As you say the spelling gives the game away-I saw someone the other day use "shoe-in" rather than "shoo-in" but full marks for trying.

52 minutes ago, duanebigsby said:

You are being a snob. You make more money than a teacher so be it. People choose to teach for other reasons.

ps. "that's" and "phony"  You aren't smart enough to use spellcheck when arguing

spelling?

He also failed to provide an ' in his "cant" and arbitrarily and incorrectly capitalized the word "Teacher" in the middle of a sentence.

Rife with grammatical errors, was his sad post bashing English teachers.

Ironic, isn't it? 

His post completely lacks English grammar skills while disrespecting those who teach those skills! 

My bet is that he contributes far less positive to the Thai than you. 

Edited by YogaVeg
  • Thanks 1

I don't understand the reason for this post :confused

There are beggars everywhere, in every country, from every country.

Are you suggesting that there are no foreign beggars in your own homeland?

If you can't help or don't want to then just walk on by and enjoy the fact that you don't have to beg yourself.

• Like 1

Just now, QPRFC said:

If you can't help or don't want to then just walk on by and enjoy the fact that you don't have to beg yourself.

Yes there are foreign beggars in my country too. One group of Romanian beggars, working Oxford Street in London, were filmed climbing into a Rolls Royce at the end of their shift.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, duanebigsby said:

There are a lot of fine people teaching English in Thailand. 

You're looking down on them because they do it for low salary.

I'm not "bumming around." I don't beg, I don't borrow, I live within my means.

spelling?

QED.

1 hour ago, YogaVeg said:

Well, we can have a little fun, can't we? This thread is about gritty judgements and being antagonistic as much as anything else.

Hey, I don't know you and hope I'm not ruffling feathers too much with my antics. Folks here have been throwing each other around and you simply got caught in my sights for a minute. I think what sent me over the edge was when you referred to people (and by extension me) with backpacks in the overhead as "parasites".

That there is a noun and a rather antagonistic thing to call people. You then went on to say most people were "bores," not quite so inflammatory but name-calling nonetheless.

Telling me not "to choke on my indignation" (what does that even mean? ????) can also feel insulting to be on the receiving end of, bizarre a comment not withholding. Stuff like weird quips about yoga, vegetarianism, chamomile tea, naivety... Be honest now, all intended to annoy, defame and instigate sparring (lighthearted tho it may be) and as strange as they may be to say, it's clear the intent is to rile.

So throw jabs if you wish, in playground fashion I will throw jabs back. Just keep in mind I'm doing it with a smile and no serious mal-intent, and be honest neither of us has been innocent in this banter. ????

Let me correct a couple of misconceptions. When I referred to parasites, I was referring to people who deliberately oversize their carryon luggage to avoid fees for hold luggage. If your carryon luggage is within the rules ( like mine and yours ), no problem. And if you think such people are not parasites, I think you'll find more than just me disagreeing with you.

You said ( sarcastically ) I must be the life of the party. So who started off with that particular flurry?

The reference to chamomile tea is due to its purported properties of relieving anxiety and stress. If that riles you, it's because you don't like to be told to calm down.

I thought the Grinch reference was quite hilarious, given you know nothing about me except what I've posted.

As you say, neither of us are innocent, and I'm not keeping score. Have a good evening.

8 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Let me correct a couple of misconceptions. When I referred to parasites, I was referring to people who deliberately oversize their carryon luggage to avoid fees for hold luggage. If your carryon luggage is within the rules ( like mine and yours ), no problem. And if you think such people are not parasites, I think you'll find more than just me disagreeing with you.

You said ( sarcastically ) I must be the life of the party. So who started off with that particular flurry?

The reference to chamomile tea is due to its purported properties of relieving anxiety and stress. If that riles you, it's because you don't like to be told to calm down.

I thought the Grinch reference was quite hilarious, given you know nothing about me except what I've posted.

As you say, neither of us are innocent, and I'm not keeping score. Have a good evening.

Fair enough. ????

One thing tho that we can agree to disagree on, is who is really taking advantage of the carry-on bag situation. I would argue that the airlines are the real blood-suckers here. I fly a lot and have no love for people trying to cram too big an object in a bin over my head. You can spot them a mile away. And it can be dangerous.

But I've watched through the years as the airlines get increasingly more strict and milk more and more money out of baggage. It's totally a numbers game meant to hide the actual cost of flying. Some of those airlines are downright obscene with fees.

I painstakingly picked a high-quality bag that would fit in every Budget Airline globally that I might be on, and I'm constantly checking and concerned about the weight, though I don't get looked at closely very often, when I do it's no issue because I'm careful. But it's a pain in the butt.

Every now and again I'll fly a nice airliner, I came out here on EVA Air, and it was a joy to not have them be so nit-picky about the baggage.

We wouldn't have such a carry-on crunch if they hadn't jacked the fees so much on stowaways.  It didn't used to be this way.

More and more, I feel like an animal being herded onto the plane rather than a human being trying to have a pleasant flying experience. This is a direct result airlines trying to squeeze every last drop out of space, including our seating space. Customer comfort takes a back seat to the profits.

28 minutes ago, YogaVeg said:

Fair enough. ????

One thing tho that we can agree to disagree on, is who is really taking advantage of the carry-on bag situation. I would argue that the airlines are the real blood-suckers here. I fly a lot and have no love for people trying to cram too big an object in a bin over my head. You can spot them a mile away. And it can be dangerous.

But I've watched through the years as the airlines get increasingly more strict and milk more and more money out of baggage. It's totally a numbers game meant to hide the actual cost of flying. Some of those airlines are downright obscene with fees.

I painstakingly picked a high-quality bag that would fit in every Budget Airline globally that I might be on, and I'm constantly checking and concerned about the weight, though I don't get looked at closely very often, when I do it's no issue because I'm careful. But it's a pain in the butt.

Every now and again I'll fly a nice airliner, I came out here on EVA Air, and it was a joy to not have them be so nit-picky about the baggage.

We wouldn't have such a carry-on crunch if they hadn't jacked the fees so much on stowaways.  It didn't used to be this way.

More and more, I feel like an animal being herded onto the plane rather than a human being trying to have a pleasant flying experience. This is a direct result airlines trying to squeeze every last drop out of space, including our seating space. Customer comfort takes a back seat to the profits.

I know the feeling. Because I need extra leg room, I'll fly business class if the fares are reasonable. Or try for the exit row seating in economy.

I've been flying for about 50 years now, so my expectations of a pleasant flying experience are quite low. I cocoon myself with my Kindle and music player, and refuse the overpriced offers of entertainment, food and drink.

Airlines are always trying to save weight. They could do worse than eliminate the glossy flight magazines in every seat pocket. I mean, who reads them or ever buys anything in them?

It's the budget airlines who are the worst offenders in terms of tacking on extra charges to make up for their base price. It would almost be called "bait and switch" in some legal jurisdictions.

8 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

"English" teachers-to disguise their laziness

"Begpackers.."

"Cheap Charlies.."

The list is endless.

Using the term begpacker to describe a tourist seen begging is quite different to the other two. 

Edited by SammyT

8 hours ago, QPRFC said:

The beggars in my country (New Zealand) are almost certainly homegrown, and even if there were foreign beggars, they aren't begging for an airfare because they didn't adequately plan their travels. So yes, I'm absolutely suggesting there aren't foreign beggars of this type in my homeland. 

Nice try comparing this guy to a Cambodian beggar in Thailand, or a gypsy beggar in England, though.

Edited by SammyT

4 hours ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Airlines are there to make a profit, not bother about poor folks, they suit millions of us that fit that can afford criteria. Id like a Private Jet but cant afford one, so do stop bleating and live within your means.

Meh. I'd bet of those millions dissatisfaction is the case more often than not. It has nothing to do with living in your means. If you're not in first class, you're cattle.  and your response sounds like it comes from a person who's always in first class LOL

4 hours ago, YogaVeg said:

Meh. I'd bet of those millions dissatisfaction is the case more often than not. It has nothing to do with living in your means. If you're not in first class, you're cattle.  and your response sounds like it comes from a person who's always in first class LOL

Tantrums entitled one, that attitude will secure you a seat in Cattle Class for Life, or Teacher Class as i prefer to call it.:partytime2: