Begpackers in Chiang Mai Night Bazaar

SammyT

13 hours ago, SammyT said:

Is it actually though? You don't think a tuktuk driver or a somtum seller who sits there making not much more than minimum wage per night doesn't look at someone like that and feeling pretty pissed off? Because I know most people in western countries would be annoyed if Asian tourists came over and then sat in the middle of a main town with a cup and a sign. They'd probably be beaten up by the homeless/desperate in NZ. 

I'd personally prefer that people were accountable for their actions as most of us are and relied on insurance/family/embassies for assistance. But that's just me 

I think I'd stop venting about my annoyance.

You are annoyed and that's a part of living in Thailand.

Take one or more DEEP breaths and have your favorite beverage.

You'll feel better soon.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, YogaVeg said:

I am a proud backpacker traveler, everything I travel with for 6 months at a time fits neatly in my Osprey which is of carry-on size for flying. My freinds marvel at how little material goods I get by with. Oh, once I land somewhere for awhile I buy more clothes which result in my also carrying a hand duffle, but then I purge before flying to another country.

I watch with amusement those with big pieces of luggage, hands full, waiting at the baggage carousels, paying a lot more than me, waiting a lot longer than i... Just to jump in a taxi and take all the little boxes to a hotel and store them. Seems like a pretty limited way to travel imho.

So much easier to store just one item, fitting in small lockers and such, so much cheaper to fly with, and never having to deal with that airport carousel luggage experience, so much easier to use mass transit with a backpack, so much easier just to keep track of just one thing. And not much to lose if it disappears.

I like my hands free when walking down the street too, ready for anything and so much easier. Luggage and the lifestyle that accompanies it is not for me. Those who make fun of the backpacker lifestyle have limited imaginations.

I also travel with plenty of funds. And there's no end to the savings that a backpacker enjoys. I'd rather spend my money on food and travel than luggage and the handling of it.

To respond to the original post though, yes the concept of going to another country to beg is sad. No, it's not legal either, and I just read about some falang getting arrested for doing it in southern Thailand.

But to equate backpacking with begging is silly.

My 15kg suitcase has never cause any problems, I always enjoy the taxi ride to my 40 sqm room, and the big jucy tenderloin at Monsoon's.   And when I spend 10000 or 15000 a day in Thailand I always have the feeling it is money well spent. 

1 minute ago, KiChakayan said:

My 15kg suitcase has never cause any problems, I always enjoy the taxi ride to my 40 sqm room, and the big jucy tenderloin at Monsoon's.   And when I spend 10000 or 15000 a day in Thailand I always have the feeling it is money well spent. 

Are you what some call a two week millionaire?

14 hours ago, SammyT said:

I would have thought BK was a pretty well renowned initials for Burger King. The one right in the middle. I wouldn't make a special trip if I were you. He was definitely there - I'm not in the business of making up stories to get attention on here. Was merely highlighting my annoyance at people like that. Clearly others don't share the same views, and that's cool. I guess some people are more compassionate than me. 

You just sound like a bit of a dong tbh

2 minutes ago, KiChakayan said:

So true. I love that righteous stance that people take that if you're not backpacking and eating 40b meals and staying in a 6 person dorm that you're not really travelling.

4 minutes ago, Ks45672 said:

You just sound like a bit of a dong tbh

Good thing I'm not one who gets my feelings hurt by judgements from a random internet forum member who I'm never likely to meet, huh? Also, who uses the word "dong"?

38 minutes ago, SammyT said:

Good thing I'm not one who gets my feelings hurt by judgements from a random internet forum member who I'm never likely to meet, huh? Also, who uses the word "dong"?

You posted an incredible post.

Incredible in the nature of absurdity.

You are entitled to post within the guidelines of the  extensive rules of this forum.

Good luck.

8 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

You posted an incredible post.

Incredible in the nature of absurdity.

You are entitled to post within the guidelines of the  extensive rules of this forum.

Good luck.

Incredible in that I criticised a Farang instead of the plethora of posts criticising Thai bar girls, moto drivers, taxi drivers, tuktuk drivers, real estate agents, immmigration officers etc?

The only thing different to most of the whinging posts on here was that it was a white person being criticised, and that clearly seems to have triggered some of the "white is right, Thais are bad" gang in here

1 minute ago, SammyT said:

Incredible in that I criticised a Farang instead of the plethora of posts criticising Thai bar girls, moto drivers, taxi drivers, tuktuk drivers, real estate agents, immmigration officers etc?

The only thing different to most of the whinging posts on here was that it was a white person being criticised, and that clearly seems to have triggered some of the "white is right, Thais are bad" gang in here

You appear to be a misguided TVF member.

Can you please try again and use spellcheck this time? 

5 hours ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

The funniest one I saw was a Ukraenian couple with a real live baby. The "Husband" was pimping the hot blond mom at Spicy and yellow bars. Another eastern Euro woman was sent to walk around with the cute baby during the daytime to beg for milk money for "my baby" I saw her hassling tourists in front of Suriwonse hotel. Totally human trafficking.

One American trash girl came to me at 7-11 in front of Kad Suan Kaew and asked for 180 baht for a "dorm room". One look at her I could tell she had met the local yabba dealer already. I said I would give her 300 baht to clean my condo. She said something rude and walked away. These Foreigners who approach on the street asking for money are all liars.

You sure are out and about. 

2 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

You appear to be a misguided TVF member.

Wow, you know your argument is going well when you pick at spelling mistakes...

Nope, I don't comment or post much in here, but I browse enough to see all the TVF threads with burnt out and washed up westerners bitter at Thais and Thai society (yet they still decide to live here). To that end, I'm not overly misguided about the nature of many of the anti-Thai threads on this forum. 

Perhaps open both of your eyes to the nature of many of the threads in here and try again yourself

53 minutes ago, SammyT said:

ahhhh,  SammyT.    gotta admire your spirit.   you are still holding onto that bone and ain't nobody gonna take it !

Wish I were 32 yrs old again !     There still are a few of the old TV gang that can hold onto a bone pretty tight too ,

though i think many of us just give it up when our teeth start to fall out

5 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

Also the fact that you incorrectly spelled "spell check" as one word while righteously calling out a spelling error of mine is more ironic than rain on your wedding day.

2 minutes ago, rumak said:

ahhhh,  SammyT.    gotta admire your spirit.   you are still holding onto that bone and ain't nobody gonna take it !

Wish I were 32 yrs old again !     There still are a few of the old TV gang that can hold onto a bone pretty tight too ,

though i think many of us just give it up when our teeth start to fall out

What can I say, sometimes I just love to argue a point. 

While I do see the different perspective of some of the people in here, the borderline autistic way that they pose their arguments makes me wonder what they're like in real life...

Just now, holy cow cm said:

Watch Slumdog Millionaire movie. Pretty accurate and very appalling. 

Thanks, but how you present it must be very sad.

Honestly i don't watch many movies at all, reality is colourful enough for me.

2 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Thanks, but how you present it must be very sad.

Honestly i don't watch many movies at all, reality is colourful enough for me.

Then skip this movie as it has an effect on some after watching. I used to walk BKK streets all the time back in the day and there were people burned, limbless, blind, you name it, it was there. Same deal in this movie.

7 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Then skip this movie as it has an effect on some after watching. I used to walk BKK streets all the time back in the day and there were people burned, limbless, blind, you name it, it was there. Same deal in this movie.

I will, btw , i was in Hardwar during a Khumba Mela ( millions of people and thousands of beggars) so i have kind of a thick skin.

39 minutes ago, SammyT said:
37 minutes ago, SammyT said:

........the borderline autistic way that they pose their arguments makes me wonder what they're like in real life...

Nope, I don't comment or post much in here, but I browse enough to see all the TVF threads with burnt out and washed up westerners bitter at Thais and Thai society 

I often wonder that too when I read some of the threads posted and how the assume they know people they have never met, even beggars. 

3 hours ago, SammyT said:

As a traveller - being stranded in a foreign country without a return airline ticket is a completely preventable thing, given how far in advance you can book return airfares, or also just silo-ing off enough money in your bank to make sure you have that cash available. 

The scenario you used earlier is quite different and would almost certainly elicit a different response from me. I'd buy a farang a meal who had just had all their stuff stolen and was waiting on their insurer to come up with some money. That's an unforeseen event . Running out of money for an airfare home isn't . 

I don't disagree with you. I'm not handing any money to some grinning falang seeking an airline ticket either.

My defensive attitude in this thread was spawned mostly by the sad words of a different participant who clearly doesn't have much compassion for anyone.

And everyone else: this thread would be a much more pleasant read if people stopped with the personal attacks. You might not agree with SammyT's position, but I don't see him taking personal jabs at people. 

A lot of this stuff I'm seeing people barking here just isn't valid or useful, it's just y'all getting personal and nasty, just saying.

40 minutes ago, SammyT said:

What can I say, sometimes I just love to argue a point. 

While I do see the different perspective of some of the people in here, the borderline autistic way that they pose their arguments makes me wonder what they're like in real life...

don't be too hard on us........... you argue fairly well,  but try to leave out the name calling and you will rise above those that still act like children

11 minutes ago, YogaVeg said:

I don't disagree with you. I'm not handing any money to some grinning falang seeking an airline ticket either.

My defensive attitude in this thread was spawned mostly by the sad words of a different participant who clearly doesn't have much compassion for anyone.

And everyone else: this thread would be a much more pleasant read if people stopped with the personal attacks. You might not agree with SammyT's position, but I don't see him taking personal jabs at people. 

A lot of this stuff I'm seeing people barking here just isn't valid or useful, it's just y'all getting personal and nasty, just saying.

“Nope, I don't comment or post much in here, but I browse enough to see all the TVF threads with burnt out and washed up westerners bitter at Thais and Thai society”

you missed that recent one then. ?

2 hours ago, KiChakayan said:

To each his own.

I've traveled with luggage before, and a suitcase is a ball and chain to me. 

My honest experiences with eating out have been the less I pay the fresher and better the food is.

I've tried 600 baht meals, but my favorite restaurants are 60 bahts, not cuz I'm being cheap just cuz I'm eating the real spicy super fresh, cooked before my eyes, local food.

Sure, my 20 sqm room is smaller, and I often spend as little as 1,500 a day whereas you drop 10x that, sure doesn't mean I'm enjoying life any less...

Anyway, just enjoy. Life is too short to waste judging others. I'm sure we've got a lot more in common than what separates us. Maybe I'll see you around someday, I'll be the guy whistling past the luggage carousel with everything I own in my carry-on backpack, heading towards the immigration counter before that conveyer belt even starts moving...

Sammy T I am very glad that I am not you.. You saw something at the night bazaar which in no way effects you and you have built yourself into a complete rage about it that has lasted for nearly a day now. I would suggest that Thailand is not the place for you because a lot worse things will happen to you and it is pretty clear that you will not be able to cope with them.

1 minute ago, Kadilo said:

“Nope, I don't comment or post much in here, but I browse enough to see all the TVF threads with burnt out and washed up westerners bitter at Thais and Thai society”

Ha, I've  probably missed a bit of this thread, it's just not that gracious enough for me to focus my full attention on.

However, the quote you supply here is a generalization, it's not a pointed jab directed at an individual, and there is a difference indeed.

1 minute ago, Kadilo said:

You forgot " the borderline autistic way they pose their arguments " :tongue:

3 hours ago, chuang said:

Why don't they beg from the airlines they issue the tickets...or beg from their embassies...they are their countrymen...

Airlines 101 -  an airline will never give you a free ticket

Embassies 101 -  an embassy will never give you a free ticket

Any more questions just feel free to ask ????

Archived