FDA procedure for importing fruit juice into Thailand

Violingirl

Hello all,

I am a minority shareholder in a small thai&foreign owned company. We are looking at importing fruit juices into Thailand. We plan to have our product manufacturer in another ASEAN country, packaged with our own label. 

I did some research and read that we have to apply first for a food license at the Thai FDA, and then register for a certificate of food recipe or get a notifcation (depending on the product) from the FDA. I got the big lines, but it is still not really clear in how to do it in practice...

Wondering if someone has experience or know about importing such product into Thailand. I woud like inputs/advises on how to do it in term of paperwork with the FDA. What are the steps? what are the papers needed to submit to the FDA?...

Your insight would be greatly appreciated!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Violingirl,

i ve just did it for my own company, i contacted the fda office usually based in the most impourtant city of your area, like in my case phang nga. They came the 1st time for a general inspection, then they ask you many documents such as

- company papers

- work permit

- layout of the production site

- hp of machines used to produce juice

- recipe and specification of every single ingrediend you use

- methodology about how you prepare juice

if you use real fruit you dont need to have any proof of what you use but assuming its not 100% fruit you will need to explain them % of fruit sugar or syroups or whatever you use.

then they will ask you to certificate every different juice for a cost of 2000b each and ro bring sample to a laboratory. Usually they keep 1 sample in the same condition you bring to them and they analyze the second sample. In totally i paid around 90.000 thb including license for 3 years and all other costs. 

wish you good luck!

sorry for my poor english ;)