Insurance for Newborn

WalsallRobbo

I am British my wife is Thai and we have a newborn baby, just a couple of weeks old, born in Bangkok.

For various different reasons I plan to stay in the UK for the baby's first year and my wife will stay in Bangkok with her family and the new baby.

Does anyone have health insurance for their newborn that they can recommend?

We just got a quote from AIA which was approximately 10,000 baht a month! This is an investment type insurance that pays you back if you don't use it. I would just prefer an annual fee type - as we are not sure what country the baby will live in as yet!

I am aware that Thai people can still use state hospitals. My wife isn't too keen on that though.

I am not aware of my wife or her family of being on an existing family insurance scheme.

Feel free to ask me any questions.

• Like 1

I used BUPA for my son from day 1.

Although my Wife's BUPA Int'l covered my son for the first 90 days, I ensured that my son was covered from day 1 (with BUPA Int'l) just incase he was born with any congenital defect which would become an exclusion as soon as I applied for follow on Insurance after his initial 90 days.

The BUPA International coverage was very good (inpatient only) unfortunately I can't remember the premiums, but a couple of years ago I switched my whole family away from BUPA international because of heavily increasing premium's.

Shop around with AXA, BUPA International and BUPA Thailand, LUMA...

All have varying rates for Children below 5 years old, some more expensive... We are now insured with LUMA (previously MSH Asia)... the coverage is fairly extensive and you choose your area. 

We are worldwide (Ex USA) outpatient only and pay about 120,000 baht per year for My Wife, Son and I (40, 4 and 43 yrs old respectively)

• 5 weeks later...