Itchy arms/shoulders

hackjam

For the past 2 years, I have itchy arms and shoulders, its from elbow up. I have some spots/pimples also, mainly on shoulders. It is particularly irritating at night time, when trying to sleep and tend to wake up a few times, wanting to scratch.

I have went to 3 different doctors at the dermatology section of the Bangkok Pattaya Hospital. Its always same drill-special soap/gel for washing, tried various creams/oils, all with little or no improvement.

I do have type 2 Diabetes,  but my doctor has assured me it is not related.

No guarantee it will yield a better result but suggest you try a dermatologist in Bangkok. Dr, Niyom at Bumrungrad is very good.

I would also suggest you:

1. try to figure out what it could be that irritates your arms and shoulders only and not your legs.  Possibly the detergent used in washing the bedsheets, if you usually wear long pajama bottoms bout sleeveless top.

2. Maybe do a trial of an antihistamine like loratadine (clarytne) or zyrtec.

3. Possibly invest in some allergy testing.

But before any of the above look at these pictures to make sure what you describe as pimples are nto actually bed bug bites:

https://www.google.com/search?q=bed+bugs+bites&client=firefox-b&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjSk5a83N3dAhWBr48KHVHEBbkQ_AUIDigB&biw=1024&bih=463

https://www.orkin.com/other/bed-bugs/bedbug-bites/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

No guarantee it will yield a better result but suggest you try a dermatologist in Bangkok. Dr, Niyom at Bumrungrad is very good.

I would also suggest you:

1. try to figure out what it could be that irritates your arms and shoulders only and not your legs.  Possibly the detergent used in washing the bedsheets, if you usually wear long pajama bottoms bout sleeveless top.

2. Maybe do a trial of an antihistamine like loratadine (clarytne) or zyrtec.

3. Possibly invest in some allergy testing.

But before any of the above look at these pictures to make sure what you describe as pimples are nto actually bed bug bites:

https://www.google.com/search?q=bed+bugs+bites&client=firefox-b&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjSk5a83N3dAhWBr48KHVHEBbkQ_AUIDigB&biw=1024&bih=463

https://www.orkin.com/other/bed-bugs/bedbug-bites/

Excellent advice. Try and get some half decent detergent. Any suggestions anyone about non-harmful detergent?

6 hours ago, hackjam said:

Pretty sure its not bed bugs, as I sleep naked, so would expect to see on legs and ass. Also, missus does not have any problem I also travel to home country every few months, so different beds.

I had mysterious itching and rash over many parts of my body for several months earlier this year. Unfortunately, I never found the cause and it disappeared as mysteriously as it came. Is it possible you could be allergic to your shampoo? When you wash your hair it comes onto the shoulders and upper arms. Perhaps you're not rinsing it off well enough and it's leaving a residue in those areas. Of course, you'd also expect some problems on the neck and upper back too if this was the cause. 

Elevated bilirubin can cause intense itching. I'd expect it to be more systemic, though you never know. It's quite a mystery. A quick blood test will eliminate it. About 100 baht. If my bilirubin gets slightly elevated from certain medicines, I get quite itchy in some areas.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hackjam said:

OK, I guess it would be a good idea to change detergent and shampoo for starters.

And a visit to a dermatologist next time in Europe. 

+1 my first guess would be a bad reaction to detergent, it happens !

I have once found a very competent dermatologist in Samitivej hospital unfortunately i don't have her name anymore.

If by some miracle i can find her name i'll let you know.

Had a terrible experience with skin issues + Thai hospitals (which 4 of them giving me a wrong diagnosis), our farang skin tends to catch things local never have so it's can be tricky to get the proper treatments / advises here.

Did they took some samples for microscope exam ?

I would advise to try a different hospital anyway, once they have diagnosed something in an hospital, if wrong, you'r doomed forever, they'll stick to that diagnostic and just try to give you different treatments over and over and OVER AND OVER.

By the way, what was it they said you had precisely ?

Edited by Pepper9187

20 hours ago, hackjam said:

Pretty sure its not bed bugs, as I sleep naked, so would expect to see on legs and ass. Also, missus does not have any problem I also travel to home country every few months, so different beds.

Trust me after 2 years you would know if your bedroom was infested by bedbugs ????