Bangkok To Manila

jbaldwin

• 1 year later...

HEADS UP

I brought two of these for flights on the 24th April, the tickets cost 9900 Baht when taxes and fuel surcharges were allowed for etc. but have just recently had to cancel due to medical reasons.

When I finally got through to the airline they told me that they will not grant refunds on these tickets, despite there never being any mention anywhere of this policy.

In fact their own website states that refunds are available and that you can cancel bookings provided that you give advance notice (which i have done). Of course there is a penalty fee for refunds of THB 1200 per ticket (as it states on my e-ticket), and Im fine with that.

However they insist "no refunds".

I have given serious consideration to lodging a complaint to the DTI under the 1990 consumer protection act, although I doubt that it will do much good but I feel that I have to do something. I can't just let it lie.

Any advice or insights anyone can offer?

I can't believe anyone still falls for these teaser ad promos. The discount airlines are usually cheaper than flag carriers but a flight from BKK to MNL is not going to be sold for a few hundred baht. But even Lufthansa fulls these stunts...advertise a B 3000 return flight BKK-KUL but when you click all the way through, it totals B 6900! Still a good deal compared to B 10-12k on Malaysian Airlines...so why not just advertise the "real price"?

Cebu's fare at around B 10k is still a good deal compared to Thai's price of somewhere around B 15-20k. I did take this flight once, and apart from the god aweful departure time and arrival time, it's a good flight (whatever that means..mainly they use their new Airbus on the route). Talk about a red-eye flight...I arrived at my MNL hotel and they were nice enough to let me check-in at around 5 a.m. :o

I should clarify thats 9900 for two tickets, I m not grumbling over the price I was fine with that, but I'm mostly annoyed that they never stated anywhere that the tickets were nonrefundable, when in fact all documentation implied quite the opposite.

Edited by quiksilva

HEADS UP

I brought two of these for flights on the 24th April, the tickets cost 9900 Baht when taxes and fuel surcharges were allowed for etc. but have just recently had to cancel due to medical reasons.

When I finally got through to the airline they told me that they will not grant refunds on these tickets, despite there never being any mention anywhere of this policy.

In fact their own website states that refunds are available and that you can cancel bookings provided that you give advance notice (which i have done). Of course there is a penalty fee for refunds of THB 1200 per ticket (as it states on my e-ticket), and Im fine with that.

I have given serious consideration to lodging a complaint to the DTI under the 1990 consumer protection act, although I doubt that it will do much good but I feel that I have to do something. I can't just let it lie.

Any advice or insights anyone can offer? How about travel insurance.

I should clarify thats 9900 for two tickets, I m not grumbling over the price I was fine with that, but I'm mostly annoyed that they never stated anywhere that the tickets were nonrefundable, when in fact all documentation implied quite the opposite.

Just to be clear, I wasn't making light of your situation. My post was in reply to the op's post of a B 795 price for a BKK-MNL flight :o

philippine airlines charges almost the same for its red-eye flights as Cebu Pacific.

the only difference is that you get to use the "centennial airport" ( manila airport terminal 2) which is newer and less busy. so i think this is better option. also if you have to fly to a domestic destination, make sure you also take PAL so you dont have to leave the airport.

leaves BKK 12:55 am arrives MNL 5:30; leaves MNL 21:45 and arrives BKK 21:55

the other (day) schedule is 10:30 leaving MNL and 13:50 leaving BKK...

www.philippineairlines.com

A friend of mine flies to Manila all the time with Cebu Pacific as it's cheap, I'm going next week, but flying with Philpine air on the day flight 9300 thb, when I checked online back in Febuary, Cebu pacific were quoting same price on the web site online booking section

The problem so i gather is that with the Cebu red eye flight getting into Manilla at 5.30am, a lot of people are going to Angles, so i guess you there by about 8am, a lot of the hotels are not letting you check in until after 12.30pm

So really the diffrence in the air fare & the saving, & being awake all night, does not really amount to much of a saving in my eyes

I have done this flight a few times - I think I paid around 4-5k Bhat for round trip fare total after taxes etc.....

the plane is nice, staff is friendly - the red-eye is good for those on tight schedules. (or budgets)

only problem was their website was locally made :o and falang credit cards dont work - which means that online booking is impossible and many travel agents wont issue Cebu tickets -

so it basically means that I had to call a number listed on their site and deposit money in some guys BB account and pick my ticket up at the airport. very weird

other than that - they are great and recommended for the price.

philippine airlines charges almost the same for its red-eye flights as Cebu Pacific.

the only difference is that you get to use the "centennial airport" ( manila airport terminal 2) which is newer and less busy. so i think this is better option. also if you have to fly to a domestic destination, make sure you also take PAL so you dont have to leave the airport.

leaves BKK 12:55 am arrives MNL 5:30; leaves MNL 21:45 and arrives BKK 21:55

the other (day) schedule is 10:30 leaving MNL and 13:50 leaving BKK...

www.philippineairlines.com

That time makes the flight to MNL, over 16 hours...........<deleted> ...... not taking into account time zones, woteva.

12.55 is PM.

Guess you mean, 0055 hrs.

Amazing how many people think there is a 12pm, it should be 0000hr, Zero hour.

That is, 11.59pm, 2359 hrs, next becomes 0000, zero hour.

Better to say, mid-day or midnite., no confuzzlement.

24 hour clock is the only way to go.

HEADS UP

Any advice or insights anyone can offer?

If you used a credit card:

1. Print out the page allowing for 1200 baht refunds

2. Contest the charge with the credit card issuer, and provide them witht he documentation from step 1

only problem was their website was locally made and falang credit cards dont work

Not true...I have booked flights on CP to Manila online with my USA based credit card. No problems. Must be something specific to your card.

how recently? last time I tried was maybe in November

I tried 3 different cards and no dice

the guy who I ended up buying the ticket from said they had problems with USA cards and others.

maybe they fixed it????

I have done this flight a few times - I think I paid around 4-5k Bhat for round trip fare total after taxes etc.....

the plane is nice, staff is friendly - the red-eye is good for those on tight schedules. (or budgets)

only problem was their website was locally made :o and falang credit cards dont work - which means that online booking is impossible and many travel agents wont issue Cebu tickets - What type of credit card are you using? I've had similar problems with Egyptair's website; it wont accept MasterCards that have been set up to use the MasterCard SecureCode.

so it basically means that I had to call a number listed on their site and deposit money in some guys BB account and pick my ticket up at the airport. very weird

other than that - they are great and recommended for the price.