Paying Your Traffic Fine.

thomo

You have 7 days to pay the ticket. However, if you pay it late, nothing usually happens. If you don't pay it at all, often nothing happens as well. However, you'll have to get a new licence from somewhere. Every stage of the process offers the possibility to offer a bribe to avoid the supposed penalties.

If you really insist on a ticket you might consider presenting an IDP (Intern. Driving Permit).

I got a licence from Hong Kong and the 1-year-IDP costs me HK$ 80.00.

If only a few months left, might be cheaper and no problems with points while your real licence still remains ok.

If you really insist on a ticket you might consider presenting an IDP (Intern. Driving Permit).

If only a few months left, might be cheaper and no problems with points while your real licence still remains ok.

Yes, that's what I do. A UK-issued IDP costs 5 pounds 50. The police never chase these up when fines on issued tickets are not paid. Hope they're not reading this! Still, some of the supposed offences were very dubious. Licence plate not square was my favourite.

Yes, that's what I do. A UK-issued IDP costs 5 pounds 50. The police never chase these up when fines on issued tickets are not paid. Hope they're not reading this! Still, some of the supposed offences were very dubious. Licence plate not square was my favourite.

Hi

Licence plate not square, thats a good one. I'd of replied " it isn't now officer I know, but when all the family are piled in the back it is perfectly level even if the car isn't"

Warwick

How much is your fine that you can't pay it on the spot or at least the next day?!?!?

Was fined in CNX, gave him my old licence (a few yr's out of date). The fine was 400B instead of the usual 200B. Wasn't in a good mood and told him to 'keep it, mai pen rai' as was going to bkk for 2 weeks and would just buy a new iffy one in KSR instead of giving them a satang.

1 1/2 weeks later and the pig headed stuborness has faded and would much rather just pay the 400B than have to venture anywhere close to KSR.

Back in CNX next week (2 1/2 weeks post event) and want my old licence back.

(I've also 'misplaced' the docket)

The fine being increased because I'm late and have no docket would be... Mai dee.

I honestly though you had 3 weeks - but I've been wrong before.

There are no on the spot fines in Thailand. These are bribes.

thats not true, here in Phuket there are on the spot fines, you get a receipt and everything.

Thank you, I stand corrected. I wonder how they have swung this. I understand why they have done it. Because the majority of the people they pull must be foreigners who if they were on holiday would probably not pay. Also I thought that the receipt issuing officer had to be of a certain rank.

It doesn't happen in Bangkok.

How much is your fine that you can't pay it on the spot or at least the next day?!?!?

You cannot pay on the spot. Give them your licence, accept the ticket in lieu and pay next day at the station.

Alternatively, offer a red note if your Thai is good, or two of those otherwise, but no receipt.

But actually, I did not have too many problems over the last 15 years. A couple of tickets for illegal parking. No idea how much, as I

just threw them away. Last time I was stopped for an illegal U-turn on Asoke, just before Christmas, greeted the friendly BiB with a "Merry Christmas" (in English) After some discussions, he in Thai, me in English, "Merry Christmas", he got the message and said (In English) "Ah, you go party". Actually, I do appreciate these fellows.

When I was stopped, It was from a road block. There were 5 or 6 police officers there.

I was clocked by radar at 119 kmp on a country road within city limits. Which I was doing. The radar unit radioed ahead to stop me.

The officer asked for my license and then asked me to get out of the car.

He then gave another officer my license to hold.

They then directed me to another officer at a desk who wrote the ticket and gave me a receipt (which I attached a copy of) for what I paid.

I showed the receipt to the officer holding my license and he gave me my license back.

I said good bye and was on my way. Only, a little slower.

It wasn't a bribe and I wasn't the only one stopped. After I paid, a Thai man went through the same process.

It was very organized and handled very respectfully. The police were very professional in carrying out their duties.

post-19457-1171244506_thumb.jpg

Edited by richard10365

If I can be permitted to play semantics, Richard and Mick did not receive on the spot fines, even though they paid on the spot. Rather, the police set up a mobile fining and receipting station on the highway. The fine system in LOS, as I understand it, has to be receipted by an officer of a certain rank who is authorised to give receipts.

My interpretation of "an on the spot fine" as one might incur in Germany is when all policeman have the right to issue fines and collect the money on the spot. This is not the case in Thailand.

Thus it is extremely unlikely that if a policeman on his own demands an on the spot fine from you he is acting within the law.

When I was stopped, It was from a road block. There were 5 or 6 police officers there.

I was clocked by radar at 119 kmp on a country road within city limits. Which I was doing. The radar unit radioed ahead to stop me.

The officer asked for my license and then asked me to get out of the car.

He then gave another officer my license to hold.

They then directed me to another officer at a desk who wrote the ticket and gave me a receipt (which I attached a copy of) for what I paid.

I showed the receipt to the officer holding my license and he gave me my license back.

I said good bye and was on my way. Only, a little slower.

It wasn't a bribe and I wasn't the only one stopped. After I paid, a Thai man went through the same process.

It was very organized and handled very respectfully. The police were very professional in carrying out their duties.

This very same thing happened to me about an hour outside of Kampaengpetch. I was nervous as hel_l and wasn't sure what was going to happen. My GF and her mates didn't know what was going to happen either but I showed my UK driving licence, paid my fine and was on my way feeling very releaved.

Am I supposed to be driving in LOS with only a UK driviers licence.. was I very lucky to only have to pay a 200THB fine and nothing more?

What should I expect next time I get caught speeding... should I take it easy from now on?

Thanks

Taz...