Post Office Box

Makyai

Hi all,

I read on another thread that Thailand offers PO Box for mailing address - I think it was to do with opening up a bank account?!?! We have a PO box here in Australia and this suits us very well and would like to do the same in Thailand. We will be between BKK and central Thailand so a PO Box might be the most secure option for us.

Information about the process of how to open an account and if these are available upcountry or do we need to have the account in BKK?

Thank you if you can help.

Regards

Makyai

Hi, Makyai.

Go into your nearest PO, and ask to rent o PO box. If there are any available, you pay about Bt400 for the key and an annual fee (forgot the charge). I made a spare key to use, else it costs more if you lose the original and to replace the lock. Also, ensure you know the date for your annual renewal charge and pay in advance if necessary. Else, they take the lock off your box, leaving the contents open to all. Also, any registered mail is kept separately: they place a note in your box and you go to another part of the PO to collect it. Take your passport for ID.

Normally very difficult, if not impossible to get a standard

Post Office Box.

However in the major cities it is possible to get a box with 'Mail Boxes Etc.'

These are often located in the large shopping malls, Tesco Lotus etc.

Cost about Bt 300 per month though.

Probably a dozen or so locations in Bkk and half a dozen in Pattaya.

Naka.

Thanks for the information. The pricing per month seems quite high as we only pay AUD$50 (1350baht) per year for one here in Australia. It's good to know that they are available even if they might be hard to find.

Thanks again

Makyai

For a post office box at my nearby Thailand Post - Post Office I paid 321 THB for the key deposit (2005) and I pay 160 THB each year for 12 months rental. I just walked in the Post Office and signed up; they had boxes available. They did accept a copy (color scan actually) of my passport and visa to get signed up but asked me to come back with the original, which I did later that same day.

Mailboxes, Etc. are more costly but IME much more secure and you have a street mailing address, which can come in handy. I can't remember the cost, I had one for six months back in 2005.

Hi all,

I read on another thread that Thailand offers PO Box for mailing address - I think it was to do with opening up a bank account?!?! We have a PO box here in Australia and this suits us very well and would like to do the same in Thailand. We will be between BKK and central Thailand so a PO Box might be the most secure option for us.

Information about the process of how to open an account and if these are available upcountry or do we need to have the account in BKK?

Thank you if you can help.

Regards

Makyai

www.mysecurepost.com

I have just opened an account with them. Run by a Thai company. Look after everything on your behalf and give you your own PO box address in Thailand. They will handle your mail for you and can forward to anywhere in the world at Thai postal/EMS rates.

All done online and you even get a password protected account, which has to be worth the sign up fee alone !