Korean man arrested on fraud charges amid temple bell-ringing probe

Jonathan Fairfield

repulsive; to have a search of every foreign person living in this building, regardless of the complaint, it stinks, and all these yellow shirt fanatics or just non-yellow folks will be reading this and going 'aarrg' now i know how to win against these aliens, geez, you would think the embassies would get involved and tell them this is way over the line; but no, these embassies nowadays just care about trade deals and selling land to malls.

5 hours ago, YogaVeg said:

His points are clear:

1) if you don't like it, move

2) respect the culture

3) play by the rules

i understand that point of view dont really agree but, this is not about rules; this is about intimidation of 'all' foreigners in this building and beyond, its putting we aliens into a small

act of the big play for 'their' audience. But in most countries, embassies would kick up a stink by seeing immigration do this to every room dwelled by foreigners. 

Actually i am also pretty sure that for any search legally they need a warrant, but what you going to do, if you are alone in the room and the bell rings and theres a camera crew with 20 immigration officials; Tell them to eff off and get a warrant; Not a chance you going go along with it and hope it goes away smoothly

On 10/6/2018 at 11:15 PM, baansgr said:

Only sprung into action once they thought a Westerner was involved....typical thai nastiness towards visitors.

Because a Thai would know better than to complain about a temple without getting the heat from Thais themselves.. 

20 hours ago, edwardflory said:

The solution is simple, MOVE!  When the bells toll at 4AM, it's a wake up call for monks - to get ready for the daily round, and for the people to get ready for the monks visit.  This is Thailand, respect the religion and the culture.

I don't like doing a 90 day report, but I do it because the Kingdom allows me to stay, and its the regulation.  I can leave anytime.

Maybe the early morning following of the bell only occur in the Buddhist lent period and everything revert to normal after that? 

If so, live and let live.. you gotta respect their religious practices. 

20 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I think this is the interesting part about living in Thailand.

Lots of people get away with lots of things. And mostly nobody cares.

And because of this lots of foreigners don't take all the rules and laws too serious - because nothing happens.

Until the moment that the foreigner pi$#$# off the wrong people. Then it's normally easy to find something which he made wrong...

Thailand has many rules but less religiously enforced until somebody makes a complaint..... 

17 hours ago, Thian said:

I hope that westerner is doing a very important job for the Thai, like brainsurgery or so...how can he sleep well if they ring that bell at 4 am??

Do it the Buddhist way... have emphaty for the neighbours... after all it is their way of life. The authorities are trying to make a point here. If you want us to enforce the law by the book, it encompasses ALL laws. No cherry picking . 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, humbug said:

repulsive; to have a search of every foreign person living in this building, regardless of the complaint, it stinks, and all these yellow shirt fanatics or just non-yellow folks will be reading this and going 'aarrg' now i know how to win against these aliens, geez, you would think the embassies would get involved and tell them this is way over the line; but no, these embassies nowadays just care about trade deals and selling land to malls.

The authorities since they have to investigate the complaint take it into their mind to do a good job of ‘sweeping’ the grounds regardless of locals( for leasing out the room )  or foreigners. 

All in all, I figure the Thai  authorities are still rather lax on their enforcement... compare that to Singapore! 

59 minutes ago, Ctkong said:

Do it the Buddhist way... have emphaty for the neighbours... after all it is their way of life. The authorities are trying to make a point here. If you want us to enforce the law by the book, it encompasses ALL laws. No cherry picking . 

???? Well said.

I don't understand the outrage here, all laws everywhere I've ever been are selectively enforced.

Life is just like going to the airport: usually you waltz through customs without a second look, sometimes they pull you aside...

If you break the rules, sometimes you get busted.

As a guest in the country, the smart play is to have your affairs in order, for the off-hand chance of a inquiry.

Play by the rules and have nothing to fear of the random investigation. Simple stuff really.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ctkong said:

All laws enforced would be AWESOME...i don't do anything wrong so let me throw the first stone.

I wonder how many people really like all the noise made in Thailand....i bet there ain't many of them but they just don't dare to stand up.

There was a story of how the Thais are also against noise in Thailand, I do not

believe that story anymore, I believe this story much more. I went to a dragon

boat style race event south of Hua Hin and after 2 hours of the loud noisy

music I asked my Thai friends to get me out of there, they could not believe I was

so affected by the noise until  I stopped a taxi to get away,then they quickly took

me to a much quieter bar back in Hua Hin. Last time I will go to one of them

events

Geezer

I think a lot of TV posters here are missing the main point. A criminal wanted for fraud has been caught during the investigation. To me that’s a good result. No idea who he commited his crimes against but good riddance to him and well done the cops.

As other posters here have commented, just play by the rules and follow the laws. 

• Like 1