Thai Drivers And Their Behaviour

Levent

I have been driving around in Thailand for two years now and still am astonished on a daily basis by what I see on the roads. I have never seen so many people drive so recklessly. I can't even call it offensive driving, it's plain suicidal!

Is it because they simply don't learn to drive properly? I know there are driving schools here, but how many people do actually use them? I would guess 1 out of 10, if not less.

Most people don't seem to know what the indicators are for, and many who do use them seem to think that it gives them the right to pull out right in front of you, without checking the mirrors first. Actually, why don't they just take the mirrors off, as no one seems to use them anyway?

On the motorway, many people seem to have a preference for staying in the fast lane. Do they think the slow, outer lane is for trucks only, or can't they be bothered by switching lanes? I hate it when people overtake by using the outer lane, but am obliged to do it myself if I don't want to be stuck behind someone going 90 km/h on the fast lane.

What I also find astonishing is the use of the hard shoulder as an extra lane. I really don't understand why the police don't act hard against this. Having said that, the police themselves don't seem to know how to drive a car properly, judging from the way they behave on the motorway...

These are just a few examples, there are many more but how long should I go on for? I'm sure you get the message. I am not saying that Europeans and Americans all drive very good, not at all, but at least they tend to obey the traffic rules somewhat better and behave more normal in traffic.

And talking about behaving in traffic, I must conclude by saying that Thais are extremely anti-social while behind the wheel. Very rarely has someone opened up a gap for me to squeeze in, when two lanes become one for example, or when trying to pull out of a parking bay or turn.

Maybe we could share some experiences and ideas here?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Driving style's different, food is different, religion is different, weather's different - my experience is that it takes a bit more than 2 years to adapt. Be patient. My experience is that the more I let other cars in front of me, the more I stop for Thai pedestrians, the more I allow other Thai drivers to make "mistakes" or be in a hurry with out me getting upset, the more this karma comes back to me when I need someone to let me in, when I'm in a hurry, when I make a mistake. Don't take driving personally and don't compare it to back home or expect it to be "civilised" like it is in far off civilizations.

I have been driving around in Thailand for two years now and still am astonished on a daily basis by what I see on the roads. I have never seen so many people drive so recklessly. I can't even call it offensive driving, it's plain suicidal!

Is it because they simply don't learn to drive properly? I know there are driving schools here, but how many people do actually use them? I would guess 1 out of 10, if not less.

Most people don't seem to know what the indicators are for, and many who do use them seem to think that it gives them the right to pull out right in front of you, without checking the mirrors first. Actually, why don't they just take the mirrors off, as no one seems to use them anyway?

On the motorway, many people seem to have a preference for staying in the fast lane. Do they think the slow, outer lane is for trucks only, or can't they be bothered by switching lanes? I hate it when people overtake by using the outer lane, but am obliged to do it myself if I don't want to be stuck behind someone going 90 km/h on the fast lane.

What I also find astonishing is the use of the hard shoulder as an extra lane. I really don't understand why the police don't act hard against this. Having said that, the police themselves don't seem to know how to drive a car properly, judging from the way they behave on the motorway...

These are just a few examples, there are many more but how long should I go on for? I'm sure you get the message. I am not saying that Europeans and Americans all drive very good, not at all, but at least they tend to obey the traffic rules somewhat better and behave more normal in traffic.

And talking about behaving in traffic, I must conclude by saying that Thais are extremely anti-social while behind the wheel. Very rarely has someone opened up a gap for me to squeeze in, when two lanes become one for example, or when trying to pull out of a parking bay or turn.

Well I am mostly in agreement with your statements but is is wrong to judge Thai's driving standards by those from say UK or USA. One could similarly draw a comparison between say the UK and Italy where by UK standards, Italians appear to have a totally differant undertsanding.

The same can be said for Thailand but of course you also have to consider that their driving skills are solely based upon their nature insofar as they, or at least the majority, do not have a perception of safety hence kids in the back of the pick-up, therefore their driving habits reflect this. Now to pass a driving test in Thailand you take a test on colour blindness and reaction speeds. They do not have a formal method of teaching so therefore, most don't bother. Back to the safety thing they are not taught that the hard shoulder is for breakdowns/ emergency use so therefore they know no differant.

Thai drivers generally are some of the most unaware on earth and untrained but for them it's normal. It's us Farangs who judge them by our own standards.

Having said that of course it would be admirable if the Thai government brought in similar and compulsary testing as per the West and perhaps many lives could be saved. Going the wrong way down a one way street seems to be the perogative of motor cyclists and the Police as well as apparently not applying to driving the wrong way on the hard shoulder, especially more exciting at night when their badly adjusted headlights dazzle on-coming drivers.

So untill their is an awareness taught from a young age, I don't think much will change. Best just to join in the fun of cutting from inside to outside lane, with no lights, when you suddenly come across a U-turn gap that you never knew was there as you have only driven past it every day for several years or alternativly, keep brake pad suppliers in business as it does seem to be a traight, certainly in BKK, to approach traffic lights as quickly as possible so thus testing out your ABS system - especially more exciting when the lights have been red for several minutes already and you only have just noticed as you were on the mobile !!

Edited by daveupson

Actually, driving in Thailand is relaxing compared with Belgium or southern Holland, where the attitude of 'I have right of way, and I'm taking it even if it involves having an accident' is the norm.

I too have had a couple of years driving in LoS as well as a good few in Malaysia, Hong Kong and Korea. All are different, just go with the flow and let all the mad idiots past, they'll get to the traffic quicker, that's all.

BTW my wife learns new words in English when riding with me, had to explain 'w-anker' in sign language after she heard me use it several times in a short trip to the shops, great fun :o:D

Edited by Crossy

I agree with all of what you say, but the thing that surprises me most is the selfish behaviour, of never ever letting anyone in; it's such a contrast to the supposedly polite culture. But I think one of the reasons for that is that they're not "seeing" you directly, and they're hoping you don't see (their eyes) either. If you are able to catch their eye, chances are they'll let you in.

Edited by samtam

I think there are a number of factors, chief among them being:

1. The anonymity afforded by being in a car allows Thai drivers to act out agression that is not permitted in face-to-face interactions.

2. A belief in karma, what will happen will happen.

3. Nil enforcement of traffic laws. There are no real consequences for breaking any traffic laws.

There is also a different style here. You will rarely be offered a gap, so you have to 'take it' by forcing your way in. This is the accepted style, and whereas in many Western countries this would result in an argument or road rage, here it is just the way it works and you will rarely even get a horn honk.

Edited by qualtrough

A lack of self-discipline pervades Thai society. It has positive and negative results.

One stat I never tire of hearing is the number of annual road deaths in LOS.

An absolutely staggering number. Think about it for a while. Most of those deaths will be people in the prime of their lives.

I have driven in several different countries and other than my home country I find Thailand to be the 2nd best. Once you have picked up on how to do it, driving there is not too bad. I am in Korea at the moment and I am finding it ok but only thanks to my Thai experiences.

Other than finding streets I am quite relaxed on Thai roads, probably because I have spent too long in countries that qualify as the absolute worst in the world, not so much for road toll but for absolute stupidity.

Check out this youtube video of the police directing traffic in a country I spent 3 years in.

BTW I do believe South Korea has the 2nd highest death rate per capita on the roads in the world?

That video's excellent. :o

Every day I go past policemen standing by the side of the road gesticulating furiously for traffic to not stop. As if I'm going to stop on a busy Bangkok road! Or anyone for that matter! I say to my girlfriend, "What is the point of the policeman doing that?" She tells me not to be negative. I just don't get it.

Do you ever been in Calcuta, India?

Do you ever been in Calcuta, India?

Anywhere in India. At least in Thailand you don't have drivers honking their horn every 75 meters as they do in India.

Yes I agree with what has been said but it is wrong to blame just the Thais. some of the worst driving Ive seen here is done by the farang, if ever you hear a horn being blown its from some arogant farang sitting behind the wheel of his fortuner anoyed at the fact he will be late getting to his next bar, the amount of farang I know that drive pissed up on a daily basis is remarkable, also theres the farang that decide to drive dangerously here and do things they know they could never get away with in the west, riding big motorbikes at 70kph on beach road and second road is an example.

Actually, driving in Thailand is relaxing compared with Belgium or southern Holland, where the attitude of 'I have right of way, and I'm taking it even if it involves having an accident' is the norm.

Are you serious? I lived for years in Holland and Belgium and in general I think drivers behave much safer there. Of course there are always a few who seem to be in a hurry all the time and think they're the king of the road. Now, road signage in Belgium, that's a completely different story... :o

Yes I agree with what has been said but it is wrong to blame just the Thais. some of the worst driving Ive seen here is done by the farang, if ever you hear a horn being blown its from some arogant farang sitting behind the wheel of his fortuner anoyed at the fact he will be late getting to his next bar, the amount of farang I know that drive pissed up on a daily basis is remarkable, also theres the farang that decide to drive dangerously here and do things they know they could never get away with in the west, riding big motorbikes at 70kph on beach road and second road is an example.

You're totally right there. Many farangs here seem to think it's a free for all in Thailand, in various ways. They just throw aside whatever sensible knowledge they have and behave more recklessly than they would ever have in their home country. Ah well, maybe they believe in reincarnation now too, eh? The thing is, if they want to kill themselves, it's up to them, but many times they will take other lives with them as well.

Thailand doesn't have enough roads to follow the rules so people use hard shoulders and they stay in the "fast" lane because the surface in the second lane is often impossible to drive on. It's true some of them block the lane and force people to overtake on the left but most fast drivers take in stride and rarely honk horns of flash lights at slower moving vehicles.

Navigating in bumper to bumper traffic also poses questions to rules validity, if rules don't seem to facilitate the traffic flow, no one would follow them.

It is not impossible to squeeze into an occupied lane, with a little patience you'll always find someone who'd give you the way. "Right of the way" is somewhat peculiar. If you got your nose in the space between cars, you are in, rarely your opponent would try to squeeze you out and most just concede even if they have the right according to the rules. It's a test of driver's skill and spatial sense. Indicator lights help but not necessary - often it's bloody obvious what you are trying to do.

Have you seen the Ramintra exit from expressway in rush hour - three lanes coming off the ramp and merging with three lanes from the road below. Then they have to sort themselves out in two halves - who goes to the left and who goes to the right. Practically EVERYONE has to change at least two lanes against cars crossing lanes in the opposite direction.

Briggsy, the number of road deaths is high but not that high. There was about 16500 deaths in 1996 and that plummeted to a 'mere' 13000+ in 2006.

However, the Thaksin era party managed this 'sucess' by changing the way figures were collected. They stopped including those that died a certain time after the accident.

I think the numbers show that Thai politness is a facde. They may be polite when pushing into a lift before those inside have exited, but behind the tinted windows and steel it all fades away. The real, selfish, me first and inability to think ahead shows.

I was in a car that pulled into a magical third lane that only Thais can see to pass a few stopped cars. I saw from the backseat why they had stopped and said stop and slid down in my seat just as we hit a mini-bus.

Have you seen the Ramintra exit from expressway in rush hour - three lanes coming off the ramp and merging with three lanes from the road below. Then they have to sort themselves out in two halves - who goes to the left and who goes to the right. Practically EVERYONE has to change at least two lanes against cars crossing lanes in the opposite direction.

Yes I have.....exit the expressway there every evening mon-fri :o its great fun! I live on Nuanchan Rd so have to get to the U-turn underneath the flyover to watcherlapon rd and have less than 200m to do it in :D and think thats most of the problem here....the design of the road infrastructure (junctions too close to each other, u turns in stupid places etc etc) more than the poor driving itself. My trick for that junction is to get on the hard shoulder of the expressway and then cross over the rumble strip towards the cg400 garage and Jet station. Most of the time theres a policeman there stopping the traffic so its quite easy.

Briggsy, the number of road deaths is high but not that high. There was about 16500 deaths in 1996 and that plummeted to a 'mere' 13000+ in 2006.

However, the Thaksin era party managed this 'sucess' by changing the way figures were collected. They stopped including those that died a certain time after the accident.

Yep, if they didn't die at the scene then its not counted as a road death. Nice way to massage the figures and meet your targets :o I wouldn't be suprised if the official figures are under reported either though.......

I too have had a couple of years driving in LoS as well as a good few in Malaysia, Hong Kong and Korea. All are different, just go with the flow and let all the mad idiots past, they'll get to the traffic quicker, that's all.

BTW my wife learns new words in English when riding with me, had to explain 'w-anker' in sign language after she heard me use it several times in a short trip to the shops, great fun :o:D

Dude, what are you saying here.. everybody knows in Belgium that the person coming from the right has priority, it's simply a rule set to prevent confusion if 2 or more cars come up on a crossroad at the same time...

Before judging other countries I'd start with having a look at your own first where I drove 120km/h and still everybody overtook me... now THAT is suicidal.

Think that I'm with Tuky. Been driving (a lot) around Bangkok for the past five years and it's a blast. No problems apart from traffic jams. Never really had a problem here with people letting you into their lane (as long as you do it slowly and inch in gradually).

Certainly easier than London (where I lived for a year working in Richmond and living in the Isle of Dogs - east to west London in the morning and west to east in the evening. Right across London). Or the year I did in Paris. Those Frenchy boys are on the horn as soon as the green light starts to warm up ... really annoying, and they drive fast so you must too.

I honk my horn all the time. I would guess that I honk it at least 30 times per trip. I love to honk at Thai people, especially when they are riding motorcycles. I save their lives all the time, evidenced by how surprised they look when they see some farang honking his horn and at them.

I got their attention. Lucky for them.

I save a lot of lives with my horn and good judgment - something I rarely see from Thais.

Farangs who drive drunk should be killed. They put me and others in danger. They really should die. Same for the Thais, hopefully the Buddha will take them before they take an innocent.

Now that's Karma.

Although I understand that the maximum speed limit is 120 km/h, 90 km/h seems to be the excepted speed of most Thai people. I'm from the Eastern part of the USA about an hour from New York city so in many cases I feel that Thais are at least as good as the drivers where I come from and most of them aren't armed looking for revenge if you cut them off. I think once you adapt and give them a chance you will find a turn signal and a smile go a long way here.

Are you serious? I lived for years in Holland and Belgium and in general I think drivers behave much safer there. Of course there are always a few who seem to be in a hurry all the time and think they're the king of the road. Now, road signage in Belgium, that's a completely different story... :o

Yep, deadly serious, although like all these things it's a case of personal experience and driving style, possibly combined with the fact that the Thais (mostly) drive on the correct (left) side of the road :D

I do have a number of Belgian friends who I worked with in Italy, ALL note that driving in Rome (with all those crazy Italians) is far safer than Brussels. Incidentally they also say the Dutch are worse, having driven in Rotterdam, I tend to agree, although it's the cyclists there who are a hazard to themselves, pedestrians, trams and other road users.

My pet gripe is the Europe-wide 'priority from the right' rule, great idea, means I can pull out from an un-marked side road without looking, right in front of you if you hit me, your fault. The same rule in Italy and France never caused me problems, people LOOKED, Belgians straight out, period ! BTW this rule is great in towns where it can help the flow of traffic by allowing side roads to merge with choked main streets.

The other one which caught me twice was being half way down a string of parked cars when some tw@t comes the other way, HE has right of way, fine, but rather than wait for me he'll come steaming in without even slowing, where am I supposed to go, I was after all, there first?

I could certainly not go back to the UK now, I'll have to un-learn all my 'bad' habits :D

Dude, what are you saying here.. everybody knows in Belgium that the person coming from the right has priority, it's simply a rule set to prevent confusion if 2 or more cars come up on a crossroad at the same time...

Before judging other countries I'd start with having a look at your own first where I drove 120km/h and still everybody overtook me... now THAT is suicidal.

Agree on point one, BUT see my previous post, pulling out without LOOKING is a Belgian hobby, that's what I mean, not the actual rule which does help with slow moving traffic flow. BTW it applies to most of mainland Europe not just Belgium.

Also agree point two, although 120kph is the speed limit (70mph) everybody buzzes along on the motorway at 85mph (140 kph) above that a stop for speeding gets you an automatic ban, you'll find that the police tolerate 80-85mph but rigorously enforce anything over, mostly they think 70 is too slow for the limit.