Tourist visa application to USA denied

Hi all, im a foreigner living in thailand on a marriage visa.

Me and my wife really wanted to go travel and finally see the states for the first time, got denied at the american embassy for not having strong enough ties to thailand.

I can understand the reasoning behind this but didnt think it would be an issue since this is just a tourist visa, we only wanted to travel and have no intention of staying there, but i guess they cant really know that and need to filter those who are high risk of staying illegally .

My question is whats my next step ? my line of work is E-commerce, all my income sourced abroad so a work permit for my job isnt an option in thailand.

The first question the interviewer asked me is about my work and where my company based and if i have a work permit in thailand so i guess thats what i need.

Im actually thinking of setting up a thai company for the sole purpose of having "stronger ties" to thailand, even its a real headache and will of course cost me, question is - would setting up a company, getting a work permit , can create a problem for me as a digital nomad? will it put me on the radar of sorts ?

im lost as to where to go from here, will appreciate any input.

Well this is just a guess but wouldn't it be better for you to apply for this particular Visa in your home country so that the US Embassy or consulate there can see that you have ties to that particular country Ie ,your home country. And then try maybe setting a bank account in the name of your business in your home country so that it looks like you have Roots there and that you were doing business in your home country. This may give you the advantage in the eyes of the US government to see that you are serious about coming back to your country and continuing to run your business in your own country. Just a thought, I'm an American and I have an e-commerce business as well, and part of it for me was to set up a business bank account and local address in my home country so when I did visas for overseas travel it was much easier to get the visa when I was able to show corroborating documents that I was going back home even though my business was based online.

9 hours ago, tstcman said:

Well this is just a guess but wouldn't it be better for you to apply for this particular Visa in your home country so that the US Embassy or consulate there can see that you have ties to that particular country Ie ,your home country. And then try maybe setting a bank account in the name of your business in your home country so that it looks like you have Roots there and that you were doing business in your home country. This may give you the advantage in the eyes of the US government to see that you are serious about coming back to your country and continuing to run your business in your own country. Just a thought, I'm an American and I have an e-commerce business as well, and part of it for me was to set up a business bank account and local address in my home country so when I did visas for overseas travel it was much easier to get the visa when I was able to show corroborating documents that I was going back home even though my business was based online.

I see where youre coming from but this isnt the case, i have 0 ties to my home country(Israel), even if i went back, other than may family i dont own anything there, dont even have a bank account there and dont want to.

My life is here in thailand and unless something major will change in the future , it will stay this way.

My concern right now is what if i go through the whole process of getting a work permit and then for some reason still not get the visa , the thought of it makes me feel sick.

They were probably denying your wife, not you, but since you came in one package you both got denied. It is very difficult for Thais to obtain a US Visa. Trying on your own would've probably produced a different result, but it sounds like you want her to come along ????

This is really unfortunate.

It's reasonably possible that Israelis will be able to visit the US under the Visa Waiver Program in a couple of years or so. But now that you've been denied a visa, you probably won't be able to use the Visa Waiver Program, if it becomes available to Israelis.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1097/~/previously-denied-a-visa-or-immigration-benefit

It's not surprising you were denied a visa, with no ties to your home country, weak ties in Thailand, and a job you can do anywhere (including the US).

My suggestion would be to back off on your plans to visit the US for the time being. Once you've got a string of refusals, your odds of success diminish strikingly.

15 hours ago, moana said:

They were probably denying your wife, not you, but since you came in one package you both got denied. It is very difficult for Thais to obtain a US Visa. Trying on your own would've probably produced a different result, but it sounds like you want her to come along ????

That sounds right to me. Doing a package deal might have been the issue.

Tourist visa’s for Thai’s, especially women are hugely problematic.

To put this in context. My wife, who had previously been in the US as a student, was denied twice when all we wanted to do was go to visit my daughters on vacation.

So now she’s here with a green card, working for the Dept. of Defense, looking back it all seems so ridiculous

I think he was independently denied a visa.

As I said, denying an applicant a visa has some serious consequences, and can make further applications, not to mention Visa Waiver use, more difficult.

So I don't think they would have put "Visa Denied" on his permanent record card just because of his wife's denial.

4 minutes ago, Doronazl said:

you guys making it sounds like a lost cause ????

damn, just want to travel.

is there no point of getting a work permit or thai based company ? it wouldnt help to show stronger ties?

How much have you and your wife traveled up to now?

If your wife's passport is empty......that may be a real problem.

2 hours ago, beachproperty said:

How much have you and your wife traveled up to now?

If your wife's passport is empty......that may be a real problem.

Israel, Philipinnes, singapore twice.

From the interviewer questions im quite positive im the problem and its understandable, even when friends of mine apply from back home in israel, theres a 50/50 chance they get it.

my question is should i go through the company setup, getting a work permit for this ? would it do any good ?

11 minutes ago, Doronazl said:

Israel, Philipinnes, singapore twice.

From the interviewer questions im quite positive im the problem and its understandable, even when friends of mine apply from back home in israel, theres a 50/50 chance they get it.

my question is should i go through the company setup, getting a work permit for this ? would it do any good ?

certainly wouldn't hurt your chances. Also it would help your odds if your wife (I presuming she is Thai) owed property in Thailand Or if you bought a Condo. This all shows strong ties to Thailand which is what you want .

Just now, beachproperty said:

certainly wouldn't hurt your chances. Also it would help your odds if your wife (I presuming she is Thai) owed property in Thailand Or if you bought a Condo. This all shows strong ties to Thailand which is what you want .

hmm ok , but let me ask this , how do they get that information ? cause they didnt even ask about property ownership that day or anything like that, am i supposed to initiate the talk about this subject or...?

1 hour ago, Doronazl said:

hmm ok , but let me ask this , how do they get that information ? cause they didnt even ask about property ownership that day or anything like that, am i supposed to initiate the talk about this subject or...?

Yes...You should present your case as to why you're deserving of a visa! That would include work ties, Property etc to THailand. It should also be presented in your application for the visa.

58 minutes ago, beachproperty said:

Yes...You should present your case as to why you're deserving of a visa! That would include work ties, Property etc to THailand. It should also be presented in your application for the visa.

Alright, i appreciate the advice, hopefully next time will get it, i must say its a horrible feeling having to go through such lengths to prove im NOT a criminal who will stay there illegally, being treated as a liar on sight.

I think setting up some new paperwork then heading back to the embassy in three or four months is a terrible idea. As I said, once you've got a record for serial denial, your chances of ever getting a US visa diminish markedly. The question in the interviewer's mind will be, why are you really so eager to spend a couple of weeks in the U.S. that you'd go through all that hassle on the Thai side.

Far better that you wait a few years, till you've built up a record of genuine attachment to Thailand.

Remember how impatience has already cost you the possibility of getting a visa waiver, if they become available to Israelis. Don't make the situation worse. The Grand Canyon will always be there.

Do they really place much importance on if a Thai woman has traveled much?  Why do some women get a bisa and some don't?  Makes one wonder what's in their past records that can be seen?  Or do they need 200,000+ in bank.   Or deep in debt with government job?  

On 10/15/2018 at 6:37 AM, Elkski said:

Do they really place much importance on if a Thai woman has traveled much?  Why do some women get a bisa and some don't?  Makes one wonder what's in their past records that can be seen?  Or do they need 200,000+ in bank.   Or deep in debt with government job?  

Well we can all speculate about this since unlike the Brits, the US embassy gives no explanation for a refusal.

For Mrs G, who got refused twice for a tourist visa, I’m tempted to think it was because she spoke English with an American accent too well, since she’d lived in the US for so many years.

Maybe the CO just concluded she’d blend too easily and would disappear, never to return. Who knows!

Archived