Travelling With Dual Nationality

My son has dual nationality. I assumed that having a thai and a UK passport , I would just exit thailand on his thai passport and enter the UK on his British passport ,

now someone is trying to tell me you have to complete whatever journey on the same passport you leave on.

This doesnt make sense, that means I would have to apply for a UK visa for my son if exiting on a thai passport so he can enter UK on his thai passsport, presummably he also cant leave thailand on a Uk passport as there wont be any entry stamps.

can someone just clarify this. I am sure I'm being giving misinformation.

thanks

No problem to leave on the Thai-p/port and to enter UK on the UK-one.

At check - in, the airline staff might want to see both p/ports, just to make sure that your son does not need a UK-visa.

Edited by Axel

The accepted, recommended, legal and practised way is to enter and leave Thailand on the Thai passport, enter and leave UK on the UK passport. (swopping passports in flight).

You will probably have to show the British passport at check in in Thailand as the airline will want to know you have permission to enter UK and the same when you check in in UK they will probably want to know you have permission to enter Thailand as you wont have an onward or return ticket by then.

It is perfectly normal and legal to have dual citizenship and passports in both nationalities so nothing to hide.

My son has dual nationality. I assumed that having a thai and a UK passport , I would just exit thailand on his thai passport and enter the UK on his British passport ,

now someone is trying to tell me you have to complete whatever journey on the same passport you leave on.

This doesnt make sense, that means I would have to apply for a UK visa for my son if exiting on a thai passport so he can enter UK on his thai passsport, presummably he also cant leave thailand on a Uk passport as there wont be any entry stamps.

thanks

In this day and age, no one looks at exit and entry stamps any more when flying between continents, partly due to the fact that many countries, especially in the west, don't even stamp passports any more.

So, there is no issue, like you stated, of travelling from Thailand (exiting on the Thai PP) and entering anywhere else in the world on the British PP, if you so wish. Many members husbands, wifes and children have done so without hassel.

Of course, always enter and leave a country on the same passport.

There is one area that your friend may be correct, and that is when crossing land borders in Asia. Here, it makes sense to use the same passport wherever you go, as land border guards tend to want 'stamp consistency', ensuring that you checked out of the last country properly, before stamping you in.

My experience is, when flying, the passport swap is no problem. I leave Thailand on my Thai PP, and enter the west on my Australian passport. When travelling overland in Asia, I tend to stick with my Thai passport wherever I go.

• 1 year later...
The accepted, recommended, legal and practised way is to enter and leave Thailand on the Thai passport, enter and leave UK on the UK passport. (swopping passports in flight).

You will probably have to show the British passport at check in in Thailand as the airline will want to know you have permission to enter UK and the same when you check in in UK they will probably want to know you have permission to enter Thailand as you wont have an onward or return ticket by then.

It is perfectly normal and legal to have dual citizenship and passports in both nationalities so nothing to hide.

NO it is not always legal to have dual citizenship. That is bad info. For Thai law, Dual citizenship is not recognized. The law says that a child born to one or two Thai parents, who obtains the citizenship of the foreign country of birth, may retain dual citizenship until reaching the age of majority (18). At this point, the child must choose which citizenship to retain. In addition, a Thai woman who marries a foreign national and acquires her husband's citizenship has technically lost her Thai citizenship.

Countries Which Prohibit Dual Citizenship:

Austria, Belgium, Brunei, Burma, Chile, China, Denmark, Ecuador, Fiji, Finland, Germany, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Iran*, Japan, Kenya, Kiribati, Korea, Malaysia, Mauritius, Nepal, Norway, Papua New Guinea, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Romania, Singapore, Solomon Islands, Thailand, Venezuela, Vietnam, Zimbabwe.

NO it is not always legal to have dual citizenship. That is bad info. For Thai law, Dual citizenship is not recognized. The law says that a child born to one or two Thai parents, who obtains the citizenship of the foreign country of birth, may retain dual citizenship until reaching the age of majority (18). At this point, the child must choose which citizenship to retain. In addition, a Thai woman who marries a foreign national and acquires her husband's citizenship has technically lost her Thai citizenship.

Countries Which Prohibit Dual Citizenship:

Austria, Belgium, Brunei, Burma, Chile, China, Denmark, Ecuador, Fiji, Finland, Germany, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Iran*, Japan, Kenya, Kiribati, Korea, Malaysia, Mauritius, Nepal, Norway, Papua New Guinea, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Romania, Singapore, Solomon Islands, Thailand, Venezuela, Vietnam, Zimbabwe.

This is just not true. From the website of the Royal Thai embassy, Washington DC:

Most asked questions concerning Thai Citizenship issues 1. Whether a person of Thai nationality who has married an alien and acquire nationality of his/her husband /wife lose his/her Thai nationality ?

1. The person is still a Thai nationality unless:- - He/She desires to renounce Thai nationality by declaring his/her intention to the competent authority. -His/Her Thai nationality is revoked by the Government of the Kingdom of Thailand.

The other part about people having to choose between nationalities is also untrue, as many dual citizens who post to this board will attest. I'm not an expert on Thai law, but in the US, when they say that the US does not recognize dual citizenship, it does NOT mean that it is illegal, merely that the foreign citizenship has no legal meaning under US law (that is, with respect to US law, you are only a US citizen)

If you care to read the law, the nationality act states that a Child born to a Thai mother and a foriegn father, if they so wish, can renounce their Thai nationality between ages 20 and 21, if they so wish.

There is no penalty if that child does not renounce their thai citizenship, and they can keep on using both passports.

• 8 months later...

If you care to read the law, the nationality act states that a Child born to a Thai mother and a foriegn father, if they so wish, can renounce their Thai nationality between ages 20 and 21, if they so wish.

There is no penalty if that child does not renounce their thai citizenship, and they can keep on using both passports.

Ok - which is true? Where can one review the law regarding this issue - dual citizenship ok vs. having to make a choice at the age of majority?

Ok - which is true? Where can one review the law regarding this issue - dual citizenship ok vs. having to make a choice at the age of majority?

Have a look through this Thread

Good Luck

Moss

TinTin, where ever you got that list from it is out of date. Thailand has allowed dual nationality for at least the last 15 years.

My wife has used her Thai passport to enter and leave Thailand and her British passport to enter and leave the UK many times. As have our children and numerous friends of ours who hold dual Thai/British nationality.

Not one problem with this; ever.

No problem to leave on the Thai-p/port and to enter UK on the UK-one.

At check - in, the airline staff might want to see both p/ports, just to make sure that your son does not need a UK-visa.

Ditto for the U.S. Use the Thai passport when checking in and out of Thai immigration, you may need to show your other passport (i.e., U.S. passport) at the airline check-in to prove you don't need a visa for the country you are traveling to, then just use your other passport for the rest of the travel (i.e., transit layovers, entering the country you are going to). And when leaving the other country use the other passport. Just be sure to use the Thai passport when reentering Thailand, otherwise you'll have to show the appropriate visa on the other passport unless you just want to receive a tourist stamp good for 30 days and have to start during border runs every 3 months.

thanks

Yes , Axel, has given you correct information , my two daughters go back and forward quite a lot, no probbs

This is how I've been doing for many years now.

I always carry my two passports (US and Thai) when I'm traveling overseas.

Upon leaving USA, I would present my US passport and airline ticket at the check-in counter. That's all it needed. The US Immigration don't care you're leaving the country. You will meet those guys on the way back, ready to enter US, just show them your US passport and then you're home.

Arriving BKK, I would show my Thai passport at the Immigration counter.

Once in Thailand, sometimes I use BKK as a startng point travel to countries in Asia ....China....Cambodia.

There's no problem whatever.

I think ventura was looking for definitive proof, an actual clear cut, unmistakeable set of guidelines, in addition to the practice we all follow, however I don't think you will find them.

The links provided are the best I have seen.

Moss

As I've been trying to understand above,,sounds really simple! but.,,,now it seems difficult..for me...still can't find the right answer!

My son was born in London, has British Berth Cert, Thai Birth Cert,and husband is Polish so Polish Bert cert.!!!!(no British passport).... I first applied him polish passport, so no problem for him to travel in EU,but to Thailand needs visa...

He's now 4 years old, traveled 2 times already to Thailand with his polish passport. He needed visa to Thailand (tourist 3 months) we stayed 5 months

(new visa extended him for 1 year coz mother is Thai) that was simple by the immigration laws...... So there was nothing.....

Now I'm sick of going to the embassy applying-extending a visa for him,,as he has a right to hold thai passport right???.... so I apply him a passport here in Thai embassy in Warsaw, without any problem,,,,

I just can't figure out how to start using the Thai one,,....as when he exit Thai territory there was a stamp on the passport which he has now on the Polish one.... so when he next visit thailand straight away he can't use the new one as he has NO Stamp on it,,,Just really don't get it! Immigration officer has told me the same thing that you must enter and leave with the same passport!!!!!....

So how now,,????? Who could explain,,,,,

The embassy allows him to have Thai passport,,but didn't tell how to use it,,,In EU is no problem coz no STAMP,,But Thailand YES STAMP!

pietrasn,

When you next bring your child to thailand, exit the EU country on his Polish passport & enter thailand on his thai passport. When you leave thialand, exit on his thai passport & when you arrive int he EU enter with his Polish passport. It is that simple. Why do you think he needs a stamp in a brand new thai passport? The thai immigration will not care if he has entered thailand on htis passport beofre. This is how all our half thai kids who are born outside of thailand use their thai passports for the first time.

pietrasn,

When you next bring your child to thailand, exit the EU country on his Polish passport & enter thailand on his thai passport. When you leave thialand, exit on his thai passport & when you arrive int he EU enter with his Polish passport. It is that simple. Why do you think he needs a stamp in a brand new thai passport? The thai immigration will not care if he has entered thailand on htis passport beofre. This is how all our half thai kids who are born outside of thailand use their thai passports for the first time.

Ok,,,I'm sure understand that :oI'm will do next time when we visit home ,, Thank you...

...Upon leaving USA, I would present my US passport and airline ticket at the check-in counter. That's all it needed. The US Immigration don't care you're leaving the country. You will meet those guys on the way back, ready to enter US, just show them your US passport and then you're home.

There's no problem whatever...

This method seems to work, since several posters have reported it here. However, I was wondering, if you re-entered the US on your US passport, after having been in Thailand, and US immigration noticed you had no Thai entry stamp in your US passport, would they query this?

...Upon leaving USA, I would present my US passport and airline ticket at the check-in counter. That's all it needed. The US Immigration don't care you're leaving the country. You will meet those guys on the way back, ready to enter US, just show them your US passport and then you're home.

This method seems to work, since several posters have reported it here. However, I was wondering, if you re-entered the US on your US passport, after having been in Thailand, and US immigration noticed you had no Thai entry stamp in your US passport, would they query this?

The presentation of the US PP will be enough, however as has been said the Thai PP will sometimes have to be shown to prove validity.

Hence, why all the advice is to carry both PP's.

Moss

I think ventura was looking for definitive proof, an actual clear cut, unmistakeable set of guidelines, in addition to the practice we all follow, however I don't think you will find them.

The links provided are the best I have seen.

Moss

Thank you for responding. It's appreciated. I will continue to look and, if I locate the law, I will post it here.

Thanks again.

The presentation of the US PP will be enough, however as has been said the Thai PP will sometimes have to be shown to prove validity.

Hence, why all the advice is to carry both PP's.

Moss

Katana, fortunately for me, I never have any query from the US Imigration so far.

Just to be sure I went back to look at my US passport again before I post, I saw :o only one stamped ...' US Immigration

Admitted

The date of my entry'

But a lot of stamps ( going in and out ) from other countries.

A bit surprised consider my flyng out and coming into the USA a dozen times, :D and yet I got only stamped once. :D Usually the agent spends very briefly looking at my passport, and off I went. No words exchanged.

Mossfinn, This is from my own view. I decide to carry two passports only if I travel to my home country - Thailand. For the benefits of... I be able to stay in TL as long as I wish ( usually up to 4 mo.), and.... for traveling to neighbor countries like Cambodia or China, you pay visa fee less on Thai passport ( mine is always done through travel agent in TL.)

If I travel to other continents beside Asia, I need only carry just one - US passport, this way you don't have to be bother with applying for visa from most of the countries you want to visit. :D

I was wondering, if you re-entered the US on your US passport, after having been in Thailand, and US immigration noticed you had no Thai entry stamp in your US passport, would they query this?
UK immigration don't. All they are concerned about is that you can enter the UK, which as a British passport holder you, ofcourse, can.

I cannot see why US immigration would be any different.

Mossfinn, This is from my own view. I decide to carry two passports only if I travel to my home country - Thailand. For the benefits of... I be able to stay in TL as long as I wish ( usually up to 4 mo.), and.... for traveling to neighbor countries like Cambodia or China, you pay visa fee less on Thai passport ( mine is always done through travel agent in TL.)

If I travel to other continents beside Asia, I need only carry just one - US passport, this way you don't have to be bother with applying for visa from most of the countries you want to visit. :D

I decide to carry two passports only if I travel to my home country - Thailand.

That is what I meant, but I accept, not what I actually said :o

Moss

thanks

Not true - both my kids are dual nationals (one is Thai/USA and the other Thai/UK) - never had problems leaving Thailand on their Thai passports and entering the Uk or USA on their respective foreign passports - in fact as far as the USA is concerned is law is pretty clear for dual nationals (who hold USA citizenship): you have to enter the USA on their USA passports, and as far as Thailand is concerned regards Thai dual nationals - they have to enter Thailand on their Thai passports.

To leave Thailand on your UK passport as a dull national is strictly speaking illegal.

... and just as a side note: even if one does enter Thailand on a UK passport as a Thai dual national you will not be accorded any UK citizenship rights or protection - you will be classified as a Thai citizen, and if anything trying to exercise a foreign citizenship claim (to get out of trouble or whatever) will probably just get one into more trouble.

Edited by Maizefarmer

thanks

Not true - both my kids are dual nationals (one is Thai/USA and the other Thai/UK) - never had problems leaving Thailand on their Thai passports and entering the Uk or USA on their respective foreign passports - in fact as far as the USA is concerned is law is pretty clear for dual nationals (who hold USA citizenship): you have to enter the USA on their USA passports, and as far as Thailand is concerned regards Thai dual nationals - they have to enter Thailand on their Thai passports.

To leave Thailand on your UK passport as a dull national is strictly speaking illegal.

... and just as a side note: even if one does enter Thailand on a UK passport as a Thai dual national you will not be accorded any UK citizenship rights or protection - you will be classified as a Thai citizen, and if anything trying to exercise a foreign citizenship claim (to get out of trouble or whatever) will probably just get one into more trouble.

I just tried it - my infant son is Thai/US - we left Thailand (first time for him) using the Thai passport - no problem, and entered the US using the US passport - no problem. We are still in the US planning to return within a month or so. If there is any problem, I'll post it.