When does Bangkok Bank's force switch to Union Pay happen?

Don't even think of switching. Lost my visa debit card a few weeks back and had no choice but to get the union pay replacement.
Completely useless, not a single website accepts it as on line payment. It's going to cost them in customers big time

Luckily I already have another bank with mastercard debit that works on ALL websites

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HHTel said:

My ATM card with BKK Bank expires in 2026 and like the poster above, I've also been told that my Visa card will be valid until then and there will be a Mastercard option well before then.

I hope that's right but it does definitely say on the website that you can keep using the card until 2019.

I was in China in July. Visa and MasterCard were useless. No one would accept them anywhere.

But my Bangkok Be1 UnionPay debit card was wonderful.

Accepted nearly everywhere and with no apparent transaction charges. Exchange rate was good too.

In fact it worked so much better in both China and Hong Kong compared to Thailand.

I like it now...

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Billthekiwi said:

I was in China in July. Visa and MasterCard were useless. No one would accept them anywhere.

But my Bangkok Be1 UnionPay debit card was wonderful.

Accepted nearly everywhere and with no apparent transaction charges. Exchange rate was good too.

In fact it worked so much better in both China and Hong Kong compared to Thailand.

I like it now...

Union Pay is pretty much Chinas payment system.  This also could be interesting if you want to purchase directly from china instead of using lazada or ebay.  I used Taobao.com in china and there are millions of items, if china makes it it will be on this website. I just used google translate to chat to the sellers.  Now to convince them to post to Thailand ????

21 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

I hope that's right but it does definitely say on the website that you can keep using the card until 2019.

Further to my post. Yesterday I attended a sub-branch of Bangkok Bank inside our local Tesco-Lotus supermarket. Alongside the ATM and other machines was a full-size advert for Bangkok Bank's Be 1st VISA Debit Card - no mention at all of the Chinese Union Pay. When I inquired I was told (as we all know now) Bangkok Bank no longer issues VISA Debit cards so when I replied "so why are you still advertising VISA" all I got was silence.

• Like 1

My wife has just been on the phone to BKK Bank HO regarding VISA and was told that the existing cards can be used until the end of 2019 (subject to the card's expiry date I assume) after which BKK Bank will no longer be using VISA. This also applies to VISA credit cards as well as debit cards!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RupertIII said:

My wife has just been on the phone to BKK Bank HO regarding VISA and was told that the existing cards can be used until the end of 2019 (subject to the card's expiry date I assume) after which BKK Bank will no longer be using VISA. This also applies to VISA credit cards as well as debit cards!

It certainly appears we are all being given different information. According to my BB, by the end of 2019 MASTERCARD Debit Cards will be in use.

2 hours ago, RupertIII said:

It certainly appears we are all being given different information however by the end of 2019, according to my BB, the MASTERCARD debit card will be available - I hope!

• 3 weeks later...
It certainly appears we are all being given different information however by the end of 2019, according to my BB, the MASTERCARD debit card will be available - I hope!

Looked on the website today and it shows the Mastercard debit card as being available from 5th November 2018.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Thanks 1