Transferring money from Thailand to Australia

I'm not sure this is the correct forum, if not please move.

I need to send some money back to my Australian account which I had moved to my Thai bangkok bank account. What is the cheapest way to do this? I originally sent via OFX but unfortunately cannot send back via them.

I'm not interested in WU they are a rip, I've just seen the advertisement for Deemoney which looks great but I am in Phuket and they only do in-person registration in BBK.

Any advise much appreciated ????

Your only sensible option is a SWIFT transfer from any Thai bank (commonly known as a TT or Telegraphic Transfer), the costs are minimal - the funds you send must be in foriegn currency and the bank will convert them into the native currency of the receiving bank. Your sender in Thailand must hold a Thai retail banking license so that rules out the smaller forex companies, it must be a bank in Thailand that sends the funds - companies such as Transferwise etc can transfer funds into Thailand but cannot transfer funds out again.

14 hours ago, Patriot1066 said:

Might not help you this time but I have BKK sterling account so it only goes into bhatt when I change. But it's easy to send money back and cheap as still in Sterling.  Not sure if there is an Aussie version though.

Thank you, I will have to ask my branch if they can do that with AUD.

12 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Your only sensible option is a SWIFT transfer from any Thai bank (commonly known as a TT or Telegraphic Transfer), the costs are minimal - the funds you send must be in foriegn currency and the bank will convert them into the native currency of the receiving bank. Your sender in Thailand must hold a Thai retail banking license so that rules out the smaller forex companies, it must be a bank in Thailand that sends the funds - companies such as Transferwise etc can transfer funds into Thailand but cannot transfer funds out again.

Ok thank you, looks like my only option at present. ????

It will cost approx Bt350 to Bt1500 to SWIFT money from a Thai bank...depends on the bank.  The low end of that range if instructing the Thai bank not to cover any intermediary bank fees; around the high end if instructing them.  The foreign currency sent back will be bought at the Thai bank's  TT elling Rate. 

Since Thai banks will most like have to use an intermediary bank there will be a fee sliced off by that intermediary bank unless you instruct the Thai bank to cover any such fees. 

The two posts below should help explain more.

• 7 months later...

Hi everyone - I've been weighing up the options of transferring THB to Australia, as I'm soon going to return to live there. I'm looking for the best rate, as it's a sizable sum. I've checked out 'deemoney' and will try it out - but from a quick calculation on their website, it seems the rate may not be a the best. flash-fx.com and ofx.com also seem to allow THB to AUD transfers, and the flash-fx.com rate is a bit better. Does anyone have experience using these or other services, having compared rates? Thanks!

• 7 months later...