Koh Payu macaques have fruit and fish feast

webfact

Koh Payu macaques have fruit and fish feast

By The Thaiger

PHOTOS: Pongchart Chouehorm

44311465_242782673070235_807895401773819

A team of officers from the Natural and Wildlife Education Centre headed out to Koh Payu where monkeys were released to their new home three months ago. The visit was to check on their welfare and give them some fruit and fish treats.

The monkeys had already been sterilised and released onto Koh Payu off the coast of Phuket. The resettlement was part of a broader capture-sterilise-release-rehome program to reduce the growing monkey populations at some of Phuket’s most popular tourist sites where the large number of monkeys were starting to create problems for the tourists. Something had to budge and it was decided to move some of the island’s monkeys. Their new home, Koh Payu, covers 26 rai of land.

Pongchart Chouehorm, the Director of the Natural and Wildlife Education Centre and his team headed out to this island yesterday.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/koh-payu-macaques-have-fruit-and-fish-feast

thtthaiger.png
-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2018-10-19

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 10:26 AM, Enoon said:

They're sterilised.

Sooner or later it will become "Old, Sick, Dying Monkey Island"

That'll be a fun sightseeing trip.

You are so right about that. If 1 of them get sick it's very possible the whole bunch will die.

Did somebody ever take a look at Koh Payu on google maps?

There is just trees and i'm not even sure there is food on them for feeding these monkeys.

And i don't want to be one of those who bring food with a boat to many, maybe, starving wild monkeys. 

In temples they warn you for not feeding them and can find many movies of monkeys "attacking" peoples so they can steal their food and drinks.

I also wonder how many times a week or maybe a month they bring food for them.

Many peoples are against zoos but i think this is much worce.