‘Big Joke’ vows to get rid of 7,000 overstaying foreigners by end of month

webfact

47 minutes ago, graemeaylward said:

Be afraid, be very afraid! Immigration mean business! Immigration called me by telephone yesterday at 8:00 a.m. and told me that I was an overstayer! I told them that I had a valid Non Immigrant O visa (Retirement) plus extensions for the last five years and that at no time had I been illegally in Thailand. In fact, I did my 12 month extension last week and my passport was stamped 13th October 2019. "We do not believe you" was the reply. "Report to Khon Kaen Immigration before 9:00 a.m. Please" I duly reported with my passport and other paperwork if required. The IOS were waiting for me, took my passport, checked it against their ledger for last Thursday and then it was passed on to a large man in civilian clothing in a back room. After a few minutes of discussion between this guy and others, my passport was returned to me via my regular IOs who were profusely apologetic, with wais from the female officers and a salute from the male officer. I think that they were grateful that I had regarded it all as a new experience and was good honoured throughout, knowing all was in order. This is why I keep copies of everything, you never know when a mistake might be made. If you are legal, you have nothing to fear.

Sent from my Lenovo A3000-H using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

To be honest, if I'd received a telephone call like that I would have either hung up on them or told them to feel free to come round to my home and see me any time they want - the idea of being called a liar over the telephone and then being told to attend Immigration at some time and date wouldn't even enter into the picture. It's not that I'm bulshy, belligerent or brave, it's just that there's a level of professional etiquette that needs to be maintained and what you've described doesn't meet that standard.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, sanemax said:

Are they arresting & deporting  people for not reporting their addresses ?

You report your address on entering Thailand on the arrival card you fill out before landing.  It's up to the Thai business (Hotel or accommodation house - that's why they take a copy of your Passport), or the Thai National (in the case of private accommodation - they generally need a copy of your Passport also, it assists Immigration), to fill out a TM30 and inform Immigration of your address - not you.  That is Thai Immigration Law.  That way you don't have thousands of visitors and tourists lining up at Immigration Offices trying to report their current address.  Can you imagine that?  People would only visit the country once.

It is always a good idea to remind the host of their obligation to inform Immigration and make sure they understand their obligation.  It's not your legal obligation to do so.

It would be a good idea for the Thai Immigration to give each person entering Thailand either a pamphlet or instructions pointing out any obligation they may have with regards the Law in Thailand.  Printing it in Thai and English would be helpful as you have something to show your Thai Host if they are uncertain about what is required.

My wife is diligent in fulfilling her requirements with Thai Immigration and does so without fail.  We have no problems and. in fact, have a friendly and helpful few short minutes doing so.

7 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

To be honest, if I'd received a telephone call like that I would have either hung up on them or told them to feel free to come round to my home and see me any time they want - the idea of being called a liar over the telephone and then being told to attend Immigration at some time and date wouldn't even enter into the picture. It's not that I'm bulshy, belligerent or brave, it's just that there's a level of professional etiquette that needs to be maintained and what you've described doesn't meet that standard.

yeah, sure you would.

22 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I just wonder roughly what percentage do in reality report their address?

I'm sure it will be a flash in the pan, but who knows.

This is the quite stupid rule and Immigration officers are enjoying to fine 1600 THB for it. 

They are charging for not to report to Immigration within 24 hours of arrival, than what is the need to write address in arrival form... 

2 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

yeah, sure you would.

I'm respectful of Immigration, they need to be respectful of me and if taking that sort of stand results with me being put on a plane back home, I'm 100% OK with that because they will have proven to me unequivocally that I'm living in the wrong country.

• Like 1

349 had failed to report their residential addresses or violated the alien business law.

Mr Big Joke, you have taken very big job in hand , but please check each and every place to see if foreigner reported their address, honestly and without any resist policy. As I saw that they are targeting particular areas and condos , and even in condos only particular peoples. If they are checking one condo 2-3 times but nearby condo not a single time...  

14 hours ago, Dorian232 said:

It is time some credit is given to those of us who are here legally and always comply with the laws even when some Thai official make it difficult for us.   Those of us married to Thais should be given long term visas to live quiet lives with our families.  90 day reporting and annual renewal of visa for married persons is a bit wrong, most of us support fully our other halfs what would they do.if we were not here. I am in my 22 year of living here,I am married to a beautiful Thai lady and have become a part of the Thai family, I have no.desire to ever leave Thailand, the family would be very unhappy if I did leave yet there is no way I can get a long term visa.

I agree with this and am sure it would make things a lot easier for Thai Immigration as well.  I have advocated an ID Card (Temporary Resident ID) for anyone married to a Thai National.  There would be conditions imposed no doubt - a proven genuine marriage based on say, 3 years of financial and family support that would include children.  Fake marriages are the problem in all countries, Australia clamped down years ago, and Thailand is concerned about fraud in this area.  Careful questioning of neighbors would soon uncover fraud.  Foreigners married to Thais contribute far more to the economy than the single individual - i just replaced the washing machine and fridge, repair the car on an ongoing basis and finance the upgrade our residence.  I pay for my wife's daughter to attend extra schooling as well as support the family generally.  I like Thailand and the Thai people and hope that bad apples don't ruin life here for everyone doing the right thing.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Antioc said:

I agree with this and am sure it would make things a lot easier for Thai Immigration as well.  I have advocated an ID Card (Temporary Resident ID) for anyone married to a Thai National.  There would be conditions imposed no doubt - a proven genuine marriage based on say, 3 years of financial and family support that would include children.  Fake marriages are the problem in all countries, Australia clamped down years ago, and Thailand is concerned about fraud in this area.  Careful questioning of neighbors would soon uncover fraud.  Foreigners married to Thais contribute far more to the economy than the single individual - i just replaced the washing machine and fridge, repair the car on an ongoing basis and finance the upgrade our residence.  I pay for my wife's daughter to attend extra schooling as well as support the family generally.  I like Thailand and the Thai people and hope that bad apples don't ruin life here for everyone doing the right thing.

Oh no. :coffee1:

Capture.JPG

3 minutes ago, stanleycoin said:

No i do near all you just listed and am not married.

so your wrong .

Really!  Wife, kids, schooling, support for people other than yourself - nice GIF back there Stan.  Our daughter is set to go to Medical School - perhaps you could assist with those payments?

Edited by Antioc

Just now, Antioc said:

Really!  Wife, kids, schooling, support for people other than yourself - nice GIF back there Stan.  Our daughter is set to go to Medical School - perhaps you could assist with those payments?

Now your just being silly as well as selfish and wrong.

Next

44 minutes ago, Antioc said:

That's very self righteous of you. Even without your piece of paper, there are some of us who have done all that. Maybe you think the piece of paper makes you special, hey?  Nay! Marriage is in the committment, not in the words.  I've met many with the paper who'd drop their pants for the first bit of fluff that comes along. 

Luckily now, the daughter has finished uni and it's her turn to slave away while I'm retired.

Why should you get a special ID card just because you went from the temple to the district office?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Antioc said:

I like Thailand and the Thai people and hope that bad apples don't ruin life here for everyone doing the right thing.

Do take into account that once this purge loses steam, the restrictions will stay in place, to keep Thailand safe and secure.

We can't take the risk of new overstayers popping up. It's gotta be tight from now on.

Edited by lkv

22 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Good question. saw another recent report regarding this. I'd guess only a fine, but who knows?

Don't recall seeing the outcome of the previous article.

Surely the immigration office is at fault because they must have accepted the form with no address on?

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, newatthis said:

That's very self righteous of you. Even without your piece of paper, there are some of us who have done all that. Maybe you think the piece of paper makes you special, hey?  Nay! Marriage is in the committment, not in the words.  I've met many with the paper who'd drop their pants for the first bit of fluff that comes along. 

Luckily now, the daughter has finished uni and it's her turn to slave away while I'm retired.

Why should you get a special ID card just because you went from the temple to the district office?

I can see that you didn't bother to read back to the roots of these comments.  The best anyone can do on such a site is generalize since everyone is anonymous and it's not possible to know about particular circumstances.  My comments were in support of earlier comments and are in line with what is happening in other countries where legal marriage to a local is seen under a different light.  I made no mention of any other type of Visa which is not my concern, that is up to others to comment on.  Perhaps your "self righteous" remark should be directed at yourself and not others who are making fair comment.

• Like 2

The clearest indicator to show how seriously this is being taken is when there are corrupt immigration officials, agents and bank managers getting the finger pointing treatment with their illgotten stacks of corrupt money, land/building deeds, gold, cars and other goodies on display for all to see. Yes, remove the illegals but get the facilitators too.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, stephenterry said:

Don't forget those decent blokes (and women) who are in their 70-90's whose pension gets eroded each year, and whose savings have been swallowed up by necessary medical treatment - and are not in a financial or relationship position to return to their home country, owing to family support here.  

To send those back would be inhumane, IMO.

And what if they need medical treatment? Thailand is supposed to pay for them? 

My personal opinion is, yes, sure, healthcare should be free for everyone all over the world because it's the right thing .. but that's not how the world works.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Donaldo said:

You are putting overstayers and criminals in the same bag. A bit over the top, won't you think ? The Thai's should have a closer look at what their countrymen or should I say woman are doing when they go to Europe. And I am talking from experience. Fake marriages, massage parlours offering sex services, and surely overstaying on a tourist visa and working illegally. I think the <thai's should get a little taste of their own medicine.

Childish way to look at it... "But all the other kids are doing it!! Muuum!!! I don't wanna be grounded!!!"

6 hours ago, utalkin2me said:

Close to zero.

As i said, they get their reward after the allegation proves true and the person is sent home, or whatever they do with them. 

So because they get their rewards AFTER a person has been deported, they won't make false accusations? You think that will stop false accusations being made?  Here? Seriously? And you think that Immi wouldn't just take the easy way out and deport even if there was doubt?  

If they thought they could make a baht out of it, many Thais would sell their granny.

On 10/19/2018 at 2:37 PM, darksidedog said:

As far as I am concerned he can go for his life catching them all. If you can't play by the visa rules, you have no right to be here. Those of us here legally cop continuous flak from the bad reputation such people give the rest of us.

Darksidedog

May I offer you a sincere public forum apology for my impolite and brusque response to your post yesterday.

Whilst I agree with what you are saying I also agree with another poster who has pointed out that these endless "razzias"(quote) create an unhealthy climate of doubt,scepticism and fear.

The police can go about their business in a professional manner without the lurid glare of the flashlights and hamming it up for the home audience.

Edited by Odysseus123
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, jimmynewbie said:

I got charged for overstay when suthep and co closed international airports, was that my fault?

Thainess......................kin unbelievable isn't it!! You need to change nationality to Chinese, although you might just get a slap in the face or drown if you did that so  you'll have to weigh up the pro's and cons.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2018 at 10:37 AM, darksidedog said:

As far as I am concerned he can go for his life catching them all. If you can't play by the visa rules, you have no right to be here. Those of us here legally cop continuous flak from the bad reputation such people give the rest of us.

Just a question regarding the rest of us who are here legally...

I've lived here continuously for the last 10 years on a retirement visa... home country being England.

As of the 1st January 2019 the British embassy has stated it will no longer supply a pension statement letter, which I have used before to support my renewal.

The immigration office has requested that we now show one of two things:

800,000 baht in an account for at least 3 months prior to the renewal/application or

65,000 baht deposited each month...

As a personal preference I do not wish to deposit 800,000 baht in my Thai account so my option is to go with the 65,000 baht per month.

However I am not happy with showing all my monthly deposits/withdrawals within my bank book which I consider to be my private business, also I'm sure the immigration office will ask for photocopies of the bank book for records which I also am not happy about because that makes them privy to anyone who cares to look at my private financial affairs.

So if I open a new account in my name only, deposit 65,000 baht at the beginning of each month and then withdraw the money to do as I wish with it... will this suffice ????

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Just a question regarding the rest of us who are here legally...

I've lived here continuously for the last 10 years on a retirement visa... home country being England.

As of the 1st January 2019 the British embassy has stated it will no longer supply a pension statement letter, which I have used before to support my renewal.

The immigration office has requested that we now show one of two things:

800,000 baht in an account for at least 3 months prior to the renewal/application or

65,000 baht deposited each month...

As a personal preference I do not wish to deposit 800,000 baht in my Thai account so my option is to go with the 65,000 baht per month.

However I am not happy with showing all my monthly deposits/withdrawals within my bank book which I consider to be my private business, also I'm sure the immigration office will ask for photocopies of the bank book for records which I also am not happy about because that makes them privy to anyone who cares to look at my private financial affairs.

So if I open a new account in my name only, deposit 65,000 baht at the beginning of each month and then withdraw the money to do as I wish with it... will this suffice ????

No.  Unless I missed something you still need the letter that the BE is unwilling to give you.  The BE lied about Thailand changing the requirement from the letter to showing income.  Correct me if I'm wrong this is a fast moving situation. 

I come to Thailand since 1993 and never had 1 day overstay.

Just wonder what lame excuse a tourist can have for not leaving Thailand on time when his travel time or visa has finished?! Just 2 excuses can be acceptable: being in the hospital (or not be able to travel because of a medical problem) or being in jail ( or a juridical procedure).

For an expat it can be slightly different because everybody can forget his 90 days report or something else he need to do for keep or renew his visa. But have an overstay for months and even years there is just no legal excuse for anybody.

Let all those who don't have a ticket work for the minimum wage of 325bht/day until they have money for a ticket and the 20000bht fine. So many beaches, roads and other places to be cleaned and maintained.

Better then what my stupid gouvernement does: illegal in the country?! Here is your "8 day's leaving the country notice". Oh you have already such a notice and not voluntarily left? Wait we will bring you again to the police station and spend a few hours for new paperwork and give you a paper for; leaving the country voluntarily within 8 days. And this goes on and on.

7 hours ago, Donaldo said:

You are putting overstayers and criminals in the same bag. A bit over the top, won't you think ? The Thai's should have a closer look at what their countrymen or should I say woman are doing when they go to Europe. And I am talking from experience. Fake marriages, massage parlours offering sex services, and surely overstaying on a tourist visa and working illegally. I think the <thai's should get a little taste of their own medicine.

Read the post i quoted...again...

Thank you.

4 hours ago, Antioc said:

I can see that you didn't bother to read back to the roots of these comments.  The best anyone can do on such a site is generalize since everyone is anonymous and it's not possible to know about particular circumstances.  My comments were in support of earlier comments and are in line with what is happening in other countries where legal marriage to a local is seen under a different light.  I made no mention of any other type of Visa which is not my concern, that is up to others to comment on.  Perhaps your "self righteous" remark should be directed at yourself and not others who are making fair comment.

I understood exactly what you said and my belief is that just because you are "legally" married, you shouldn't get seen differently to those living in a common law marriage. In fact, common law [or defacto] marriages are becoming equally recognizable within society.

And you were also insinuating that only those in a "legal" marriage were responsible for family etc.  Posts 167-169

• Like 1