Visa---Renew Passport

Its a small problem I guess.... My 1 year extension (after I renew it) will run out in November  2019, my Oz passport will expire in September 2019.

Next year I wanted to do a lot of traveling (mainly Asia) but have read that I will not be able to travel once my passport has less then 6 months on it--March 2019. Once I renew it I have to pay again for a new 1 year visa (they don't transfer I am told)  So its only a matter of just under 12,000 Baht --(Visa + Multi entry x2 for the year-- 16 months) ...not a fortune, but any way around it ?

If you apply your extension with a passport that expires in September 2019 it will only is issued to the date your passport expires. That would mean you would have to apply for a new extension in September of next year not November.

Immigration will transfer stamps to a new passport without applying for a new extension. Not sure who told you that you had to apply for a new extension but it is rubbish info.

• Thanks 1

Hi Joe. Is it true that I can't travel with less than 6 months left on passport? I am also going to renew extension with a passport with 10 months left at time of visa extension. I've been told this is OK. I never heard about travel restriction. 

19 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

Once I renew it I have to pay again for a new 1 year visa (they don't transfer I am told)

Immigration do not transfer visas. Instead the make a note in the new passport with details of the original (entry) visa. They then transfer the stay permit (extension of stay) to the new passport.

You don’t need to apply for a new extension until the existing one, transferred to the new passport, expires.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ebumbu said:

Hi Joe. Is it true that I can't travel with less than 6 months left on passport? I am also going to renew extension with a passport with 10 months left at time of visa extension. I've been told this is OK. I never heard about travel restriction. 

Some countries won’t issue visas if the passport has less than 6 months. You would need to check the rules of the country you’re traveling to to find out about any restrictions.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ebumbu said:

There are many countries that require 6 months of passport validity to enter. All other ASEAN countries require it.

For those from some countries Thailand does not require 6 months remaining on their passport only one valid for their length of stay. But some airlines will not allow you to board a flight to here without 6 months remaining.

Most countries suggest you renew your passport when you have 9 months remaining on it due to the 6 months requirement.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, elviajero said:

Immigration do not transfer visas. Instead the make a note in the new passport with details of the original (entry) visa. They then transfer the stay permit (extension of stay) to the new passport.

You don’t need to apply for a new extension until the existing one, transferred to the new passport, expires.

correct.. this is what happened to me, recently.