I Can't Haggle With Older Thai Women

PaulUSA302

When it comes to haggling or bargaining for items in Thailand, I find that the older Thai ladies are difficult for me to deal with. I don't know if it is my style or lack of style when it comes to dealing with them, I am unable to complete a transaction.

I am able to bargain with guys and young women but the older women seem to difficult for me to deal with... I have been to Thailand many times and once again I tried and failed to haggle with an older lady.

I wonder if there is a class I can take in Bangkok that can help us visitors bargain?

I will give you an example... I was at the weekend market. I wanted some shorts and the woman asked for 350 baht. I countered with 150 baht. She looked at me, stuck out her tongue and said "Blaaaa" and walked away. I did get the same shorts from a guy for 150 baht...

Give a price and walk away - they punch in a number on their calculator, grab calculator and punch in another number. Quite easy, part of the fun is bartering. In the end you normally can get your price unless you are below the true value.

Same as Bojangkles...

But since I'm here,

To the Original Poster, Older women are the world's best Sales people, the world over.

I state this. I do not Opine it. I State it.

So don't worry mate.

Walk away if it gets to hot.

I was walking out of a market one day when I saw some

black grapes , 70b the kilo.

Well I only wanted half a kg but I managed to say "hah sip"

instead of "hah rawy".

The lady just smiled and bagged a kilo and said "hok sip".

I'd just bartered and I didn't even know it.

Jeez if I can do it , you can.

:o

Same as Bojangkles...

But since I'm here,

To the Original Poster, Older women are the world's best Sales people, the world over.

So don't worry mate.

:o What happened to your avatar? did the trunk walk away ?

LaoPo

When it comes to haggling or bargaining for items in Thailand, I find that the older Thai ladies are difficult for me to deal with. I don't know if it is my style or lack of style when it comes to dealing with them, I am unable to complete a transaction.

I am able to bargain with guys and young women but the older women seem to difficult for me to deal with... I have been to Thailand many times and once again I tried and failed to haggle with an older lady.

I wonder if there is a class I can take in Bangkok that can help us visitors bargain?

Why don't you pm Alohatiger, you sound like you are made for each other.....

Use your charms. Give her the impression that she is an attractive lady and that you like her too much. Furthermore put yourself in an underdog position (I don’t have too much money, I am not as the other farangs, is this price because I am blond / black / brown / yellow ?, why don’t you like me, why do ladies always want soo much money from me and the ultimate ‘I will pray for you’). One of these hints will break the ice and the price will go down more easily.

The topic title certainly dragged me into this thread. Just as i was about to switch off and go home, wish i'd have gone now :D

Yeah, hooked me too. My initial response: "Yeah, I can't either, not even with :o older Farang Women."

i dont suppose you've met sbk then.

The topic title certainly dragged me into this thread. Just as i was about to switch off and go home, wish i'd have gone now :D

Yeah, hooked me too. My initial response: "Yeah, I can't either, not even with :o older Farang Women."

Hey, I am not older, well, not really that much older anyway :D

And what are you trying to imply here? Hmmm???

Hey, I am not older, well, not really that much older anyway :D

And what are you trying to imply here? Hmmm???

er...nothing, happy valentines sbk :D

Same as Bojangkles...

But since I'm here,

So don't worry mate.

:o What happened to your avatar? did the trunk walk away ?

LaoPo

Who stole my trunk?!!!!

SBK bartered it away!

:D

Pet peeve here guys: Barter does not mean to haggle or bargain a price down. It means to exchange goods or services without money changing hands.

There, I feel better now :o

Thank you, so do I, I'm just a newbie here so didn't want to say it myself but it was grating badly every time I saw it written!

Pet peeve here guys: Barter does not mean to haggle or bargain a price down. It means to exchange goods or services without money changing hands.

There, I feel better now :D

Thank you, so do I, I'm just a newbie here so didn't want to say it myself but it was grating badly every time I saw it written!

Well minor misuse of words - haggling would be better terminology indeed. :o