Elite Card Not So Elite Anymore...

what exactly is the definition/are the details of that "5 year visa"? no annual renewal anymore but still reporting every 90 days at an immigration office? no more THB 800k needed? enlighten me please.

5 years visa with multiple re-entries. Each entry into Thailand entitles you to a 90 day stay. If you wishes to remain in the Kingdom for more than 90 days, you can apply for a further 90 days at any immigration office. And the cycle continue. There is no need to leave the Kingdom and re-enter with a new visa as your Elite Card gives you a 5 year visa. And there is no 800k attached to this arrangement. Hope this helps clear your mind.

thanks seagull! but i don't see any advantage compared to my present status holding a one year retiree visa.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you know if one will be able to apply for permanent residence after living in the kingdom on the 5 year visa?

I suppose there is no work permit of any kind associated with the new 5 year visa?

PS: I can't seem to get the link to the bangkokpost article to work. Guess it's gone :o

Thanks!

Do you know if one will be able to apply for permanent residence after living in the kingdom on the 5 year visa?

The Elite Card was not designed to give one any inroads into the Permanent Residence process. The visa associated with the card is basically a souped-up tourist visa, not a non-immigrant visa.

I suppose there is no work permit of any kind associated with the new 5 year visa?

No. I'm not 100% sure whether a work pemit can be issued against this visa. I recall reading that something may have changed regarding work permits during the lifespan of the Elite program, but the way the Card was initially intended and set up, it did not allow for a work permit to be issued (as it was once again, basically a tourist visa).

what exactly is the definition/are the details of that "5 year visa"? no annual renewal anymore but still reporting every 90 days at an immigration office? no more THB 800k needed? enlighten me please.

5 years visa with multiple re-entries. Each entry into Thailand entitles you to a 90 day stay. If you wishes to remain in the Kingdom for more than 90 days, you can apply for a further 90 days at any immigration office. And the cycle continue. There is no need to leave the Kingdom and re-enter with a new visa as your Elite Card gives you a 5 year visa. And there is no 800k attached to this arrangement. Hope this helps clear your mind.

thanks seagull! but i don't see any advantage compared to my present status holding a one year retiree visa.

As Lopburi3 said, that it is basically a tourist visa and cannot be associated or converted to any other types of visa. This Elite Card gives the member the convenience of multiple entry into Thailand and stay up to 90 days each time without the hassle of paperwork and many trips to immigration/embassies to apply.

There has been no change in the price of the Elite card. What was printed in the Bangkok Post were the normal proposals in advance of any possible change. The change, if ever made, is in the future
As of Friday, the Thai Elite Card Mgmt was not expecting any changes in the future.
suppose there is no work permit of any kind associated with the new 5 year visa?

Correct.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Seems to me that the 5-year (maybe shortened to 3-4 years) visa would be the one (only?) benefit that might be retained. That would be fine with me...like others have said...where do I sign-up!!! It basically costs the government (and TEPCC) is basically a government owned corporation isn't it, nothing to provide this visa "product/service."

Isn't it basically like selling a 1 year "O" or "B" visa, which normally costs somewhere around $50-$75 at a Thai embassy for $1100-$1700. I'd say that's a pretty good bit of business for the /TEPCC/government. I mean the cost to the government of what the visa provides (i.e., the holders right to remain in Thailand during its validity) costs the government basically nothing right. The only cost is the processing cost and the paper it's printed on.

Maybe this is the other shoe to drop from the recent 90-day visa crackdown stuff...sell them this new Elite Card product :o

As to those who already bought, it a bummer but I think goes into the TIT category. I doubt they have any legal case (per that standard boiler-plate language in any contract). Maybe they will offer some type of compensation as when there was some discussion of shutting down the whole program a couple months back...one of the main reasons for not doing so was potential liability to existing holders and the necessity to possibly refund all card holders their money back. In any case, anyone who went for this program presumably has the wherewithal to sustain the monetary loss. Most agreed when it started that it was pretty much a joke...as so many of the former regimes policies were. Now, most of those grandiose projects are crumbling to the ground (e.g., just like His spanking "it WILL be ready to open in September 2006 God dammit" airport).

Edited by JonnieB

Seems to me that the 5-year or maybe shortned to 3-4 years would be the one (only?) benefit that might be retained. That would be fine with me...like others have said...where do I sign-up!!! Itt basically costs the government (and TEPCC) is basically a government owned corporation isn't it, nothing to provide this visa "product/service."

Isn't it basically like selling a 1 year "O" or "B" visa, which normally costs somewhere around $50-$75 at a Thai embassy for $1100-$1700. I'd say that's a pretty good bit of business for the /TEPCC/government. I mean the cost to the government of what the visa provides (i.e., the holders right to remain in Thailand during its validity) costs the government basically nothing right. The only cost is the processing cost and the paper it's printed on.

Maybe this is the other shoe to drop from the recent 90-day visa crackdown stuff...sell them this new Elite Card product :o

It is fine by me,if the thai government will make a lot of money out of it,at least we have something back for it.It will be a win win situation,cause we farang will not have to fly out any more for visa renewel etc

And the thai government can collect the money(billions)and can spend that and give that back to the thai people,like investing in infrastructure and creating more business uppertunities.I really hope someone would reading this and will receive a bonus for the good idea......All fine by me,they should ask between 40-80k,5 years multiples and no limits.A lot of farang will open the firecrackers and spend there money further in Thai,so like I said win win.

As Lopburi3 said, that it is basically a tourist visa and cannot be associated or converted to any other types of visa. This Elite Card gives the member the convenience of multiple entry into Thailand and stay up to 90 days each time without the hassle of paperwork and many trips to immigration/embassies to apply.

This is an important. Many people are under the mis-impression that the 5-year visa was a 5-year "residency permit." Nothing could be further from the truth. It was always a multiple-entry visa that had a 5-year expiry date. Like any such visa ("O" or "B"), the holder still had to make visa-runs every 60 or 90 days. However, since the visa was multi-entry and good for 5 years, one never had to get another one during that time and could just go in and out to any destination and not only to one with a Thai embassy or consulate.

I never found out what was suppose to happen after the 5-years. Presumably since the membership was for a lifetime, the visa would be renewed indefinitely upon expiration.

Seems to me that the 5-year or maybe shortned to 3-4 years would be the one (only?) benefit that might be retained. That would be fine with me...like others have said...where do I sign-up!!! Itt basically costs the government (and TEPCC) is basically a government owned corporation isn't it, nothing to provide this visa "product/service."

Maybe this is the other shoe to drop from the recent 90-day visa crackdown stuff...sell them this new Elite Card product :D

The card gives you life membership. However, visa is valid for 5 years renewable for another 5, and so on. Therefore we cannot compare costs here, as it is not possible to compute yearly cost of tv under the Elite card, as we do not know how long we would live to be. :D As I explained early, in my posting, it is the convenience and assurance of a visa and re-entry. Unlike other types of visa where you have to gather much paperwork and inconvenience, and no 100% assurance of getting it. With the Elite card, no questions asked. :o

Maybe this is the other shoe to drop from the recent 90-day visa crackdown stuff...sell them this new Elite Card product :D

The card gives you life membership. However, visa is valid for 5 years renewable for another 5, and so on. Therefore we cannot compare costs here, as it is not possible to compute yearly cost of tv under the Elite card, as we do not know how long we would live to be. :D As I explained early, in my posting, it is the convenience and assurance of a visa and re-entry. Unlike other types of visa where you have to gather much paperwork and inconvenience, and no 100% assurance of getting it. With the Elite card, no questions asked. :o

Does anyone know anyone who has renewed after 5 years?

funny, this week I read this in the Nation:

Somkid was also responsible for most of the tourism marketing programmes, which met with little success, such as the Bangkok Fashion City, Elite Card and Kitchen of the World projects.

Never knew that it was Somkid that invented this Elite Card program

Further to my comment above, those benefits/priviledges are for a bht 1 million membership. So, if the cost of the card would to drop to 50k or 60k, then benefits and priviledges like visas would most likely to change too, which I hope it would not. Anyway, we just to have adopt wait and see attitude to this and wait for a final decision from thai authorities , which I may add that that is not their expertise. (to make final decision, that is) :D

Further to my comment above, those benefits/priviledges are for a bht 1 million membership. So, if the cost of the card would to drop to 50k or 60k, then benefits and priviledges like visas would most likely to change too, which I hope it would not. Anyway, we just to have adopt wait and see attitude to this and wait for a final decision from thai authorities , which I may add that that is not their expertise. (to make final decision, that is) :D

Realistically speaking, dropping the price to 50,000 baht would breath life into this project as long as the visa privileges stayed the same. There are many single unemployed foreigners in Thailand on a tourist visa looking for a way to stay. I bet most would consider the Thai Elite card if it helped them stay.

Realistically speaking, dropping the price to 50,000 baht would breath life into this project as long as the visa privileges stayed the same. There are many single unemployed foreigners in Thailand on a tourist visa looking for a way to stay. I bet most would consider the Thai Elite card if it helped them stay.

Unemployed ? I should said "refusing to work" :D . Yes, I believe it would be beneficial to many foreigners looking to stay long term but does not qualify in one way or another.

I'm here on a retirement visa and I would definitely consider the Elite card if the price dropped to 50,000 baht, even if I had to check in at immigration to extend the permission to stay every 3 months for 5 years. I have to go to immigration every 90 days anyway to report my address. No sweat!

Edited by DFCarlson

Sure, I'm sure just about all up under 50 folks living in LOS on T-visas would jump at the chance to buy-in at the B 40k-60k range. This would be little more than the cost of most visa runs (well, at least the ones I take). Add in no more paper shuffling for the visa applications and it would be a no brainer.

Not sure people who don't need to work being referred to as people who "refuse to work." Why should we have to get a job just to live in LOS if we are already financially self-sufficient. Only in some cases it's our under 50 status that otherwise prevents us from getting a valid long-term (year) visa extension. Why not argue that those over 50 and on 1-year visa extensions also be required to work. The 50 years old number is just a number...it could just as well be 65, 40 or nothing...just have a set of financial criteria that anyone wanting a 1-year extension would have to meet.

"As Lopburi3 said, that it is basically a tourist visa and cannot be associated or converted to any other types of visa. This Elite Card gives the member the convenience of multiple entry into Thailand and stay up to 90 days each time without the hassle of paperwork and many trips to immigration/embassies to apply."

seagull,

my retiree visa in connection with a multiple exit-reentry visa gives me the same rights as the elite card. paperwork? many trips to immigration/embassies? i haven't seen any immigration office from the inside since the nearly three years i live in Thailand and the last time i visited my embassy in Bangkok was something like 20 years ago for an extension of one of my passports.

so how do i do it? don't ask as i won't tell. just take a wild guess :o

edited for a p.s. i see however a big advantage for those under the age of 50 as far as the elite card is concerned.

Edited by Dr. Naam

The article in Bangkok Post is not fully true, which I know as I work close with Thai Elite.

So please enlighten us. What is likely to happen? And when?

Mr. kronbergTH ? Where are you? :D:D enlighten please. So that we would either keep our hopes high, or simply resigned to our fate and destiny to do VOA and TV. :o

This is an important. Many people are under the mis-impression that the 5-year visa was a 5-year "residency permit." Nothing could be further from the truth. It was always a multiple-entry visa that had a 5-year expiry date. Like any such visa ("O" or "B"), the holder still had to make visa-runs every 60 or 90 days. However, since the visa was multi-entry and good for 5 years, one never had to get another one during that time and could just go in and out to any destination and not only to one with a Thai embassy or consulate.

I never found out what was suppose to happen after the 5-years. Presumably since the membership was for a lifetime, the visa would be renewed indefinitely upon expiration.

I seem to remember the visa benefit being a 90 day entry that could be extended incountry for 90 days at a local immigration office.. I am sure thats how it was presented.. 90 day incountry extensions for 1900 baht each time indefinately (for 5 years with another 5 years to be given automatically for the lifetime etc)..

I seem to remember the visa benefit being a 90 day entry that could be extended incountry for 90 days at a local immigration office.. I am sure thats how it was presented.. 90 day incountry extensions for 1900 baht each time indefinately (for 5 years with another 5 years to be given automatically for the lifetime etc)..

Yes yes, you are right, livinglos. Can extend at local immigrations. No need to leave the kingdom and re-enter again.

Correct. And to add that if you get a new passport, you get a new 5 year visa from scratch, rather than them just transferring the existing visa end-date from the old one.

Anyway, since the original email I got back from them immediately after the BKK Post article, I've heard nothing else (nor have I chased them up). I do note that they've stopped advertising here though...

I do note that they've stopped advertising here though...

IF they start turning the chairs upside down onto the tabletops and begin sweeping the floor... really begin to think they're getting ready to close up shop. :D

Actually, I have to say... Meerkat is the first rational card holder I think I've encountered here and I appreciate his insider updates.

:o

I seem to remember the visa benefit being a 90 day entry that could be extended in country for 90 days at a local immigration office.. I am sure thats how it was presented.. 90 day in country extensions for 1900 baht each time indefinitely (for 5 years with another 5 years to be given automatically for the lifetime etc)..

Correct. And to add that if you get a new passport, you get a new 5 year visa from scratch, rather than them just transferring the existing visa end-date from the old one.

That is good to know...that the 5-year entry visa can be renewed every 90 days for the standard B1900 perpetually during the 5 year period. So in effect, it allows one to reside continually for 5 years in LOS if wanted. Only an re-entry permit probably being needed if one took a foreign trip.

I am sure many expats would be willing to pay up to several thousand dollars (US) for such a privilege. But as to all this speculation, like everything else in LOS...we will all just have to wait to see what the Poo Yai eventually decide on :o

... Only an re-entry permit probably being needed if one took a foreign trip.

Only this point. As long as you have the 5-years-visa, you don't need a re-entry permit. When you return, you just get another 90 days.

The Elite card was (justifiably in my mind) ridiculed as its benefits were tenuous and based on typical Thai shifting sands and guarantees by people who seem to have a pathological inability to speak the truth or honour a guarantee.

However in my own mind one thing I thought would be a constant was that you would at least be ensured of the 5 year visa. Looked at as having an absolute minimum of 5 years (maybe more.. I suspect any holder now would get another 5 years if thye are smart about getting a fresh visa as the card is failing) then that visa cost is about 200k per annum. If you look at it lasting 10 years thats down to 100k.

Thats high but not so high as to be unworkable. I personally would be quite happy to pay 50k per annum for a long stay visa.. I could probably be persuaded to pay for 5 years in a chunk if it was assured (like I got the 5 years in the passport and no begging for extensions) my only reservations (apart from the scheme actually being around) being my own personal fear that junta lead governance and the taboo topic of royal succession may well see Thailand looking more Burmaesque or emulating the northern neighbours more than thier southern ones. The last 5 years have been part of a decade long boom, I can only hope that Thailand continues in a stable manner for the next.

So all ruminations aside.. There is a market for some form of 'sold' visa.. I would estimate that visa cost would be popular (they may even sell thier million cards :o ) if it is in the 50k - 100k range per annum.. Much over that and it is simply more economic for me to have visa run vacations with my money and save also.

Nice little earner for Thailand PLC surely.. A way to check and vet all applicants.. Registration and house address control..

I'd never heard of an elite card but at a million it would have been too much for me but if you could get one for 50,000-60,000 I would get one. It would give you 5 years to spare with no hassle. Let me get this right I could live in Phuket with my wife and go to the Phuket Immigration office in Phuket every 90 days and get my visa renewed no leaving the country ?