FAMILY PARTY. Advice needed.

wgdanson

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

I'm happy with any and all Thai traditions, as long as I don't have to pay for them. 

Most western people I meet agree with me.

It's simple economics, you have it , they don't,  simple.   If you don't, well that's your look out, because they will still think that you do. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

It's simple economics, you have it , they don't,  simple.   If you don't, well that's your look out, because they will still think that you do. 

I guess it depends who you mix with, I normally get free food and beer from the Thais with whom I associate.

• Like 1

On 10/24/2018 at 3:27 PM, CharlieH said:

That's a village Wedding !

Good news is there will be envelopes coming in from all the guests with money for the couple.

When we did ours they got around 60k in cash.

We paid around 30k for 12 tables (96 people) Food catered and bottle of Whisky and soda on each table. 5k for a Band.

Be warned if you give an invite, they may bring the entire family to feed not just the two on the invite !!

Car parking is a nightmare if you live in a Soi when they all descend to free feed and drink.

If the wife hasnt told you yet, the parents will negotiate Sinsod for sure, and it will need to be shown at the Wedding.

Usually Cash & Gold jewellery for the Bride to wear.

My Thai nephew married a nice girl from Roi Et, party in her local village, this village had a party add-on, when guests go home it's tradition to give each guest (or family) a bag of food good for 2 meals for whole family and 2 bottles of beer. 

• Like 2

Well, a lot depends on what the girl getting married and the parents want ..... My UK daughter got married this year, but as she is also mixed race and her husband from another country, she had FOUR weddings! Registry (to make it official), a church wedding (no registrar available for the church wedding) and two 'traditional' ceremonies one for my ex-wife's relatives and one for the grooms relatives ......

Fortunately i just paid part of the cost, only cost me a couple of thousand pound in total including presents. I said as i was retired i didn't have much money to pay for this, which my daughter was quite reasonable about - just needed a token contribution. The grooms family were quite well off so did spend a lot themselves.

When i got married in Thailand just did the traditional Buddhist village wedding (big thing, about 200 guests, as wife's dad was the ex Pooyai baan so they needed sufficient 'face'), and then married in Amphoe a few years later (cost was 500 baht to expedite the process, no party).

The problem with wives is they get pregnant quickly!

Whoa!  Listen. I've read a few of your previous posts and you seem like a decent guy.  But in all honesty, don't pay a single baht.  You say your step-daughter is now dating some dude, and they shack up at your place.  HE should be paying, or his family for this joyous occasion.  I like the plan of skipping town while all this goes down.  But seriously.  You are under no obligation, unless you want to, and it sounds like you came on this site asking advice because a little voice in your head says, "I really don't want to." 

My Thai wife's son from a past relationship knocked up his girlfriend recently.  For a week my wife went to 'negotiations' with the g/f's family because they are both 17, and the g/f's family want my wife's kid to do the right thing.   In the initial meeting, the family wanted 80K baht.  My wife cried. I laughed.  Anyway, what I'm saying is, do what you feel comfortable with doing.  It's been a month and I haven't paid out a single baht for their mistake.  Last I checked my wife's phone, they now want 40K.  Gently tell your daughter to make sure they use protection.  Believe me, you don't need the aggravation.  ????

First reaction, this isn't your family. You aren't married to your GF, so she isn't your wife. Her daughter isn't your step-daughter, she's just the offspring of the woman you are living with. I see your obligations as being less than zero in this case.  Just smile and wave, and let everyone do whatever they want. But don't let your hand stray towards your pocket, no matter what pressure is exerted. 

• Like 2

On 10/25/2018 at 3:19 PM, rickudon said:

Well, a lot depends on what the girl getting married and the parents want ..... My UK daughter got married this year, but as she is also mixed race and her husband from another country, she had FOUR weddings! Registry (to make it official), a church wedding (no registrar available for the church wedding) and two 'traditional' ceremonies one for my ex-wife's relatives and one for the grooms relatives ......

Fortunately i just paid part of the cost, only cost me a couple of thousand pound in total including presents. I said as i was retired i didn't have much money to pay for this, which my daughter was quite reasonable about - just needed a token contribution. The grooms family were quite well off so did spend a lot themselves.

When i got married in Thailand just did the traditional Buddhist village wedding (big thing, about 200 guests, as wife's dad was the ex Pooyai baan so they needed sufficient 'face'), and then married in Amphoe a few years later (cost was 500 baht to expedite the process, no party).

The problem with wives is they get pregnant quickly!

Not only wives...