US Chamber Of Commerce Is Happy With Thai Democracy

Jai Dee

US Chamber of Commerce is happy with Thai democracy

Foreign Affairs Minister Nitya Pibulsonggram disclosed that the United States is satisfied with Thailand’s democratic course of action.

Mr. Nitya had a discussion with Mr. Tom Donahue, the President of the US Chamber of Commerce to Thailand, on the US investors in Thailand. Mr. Nitya also explained Mr. Donahue about the amendment of Thailand’s Foreign Business Act, and the Thai government continues to discuss this issue with other foreign countries.

Meanwhile, Mr. Donahue expressed his interest about the constitution drafting process in Thailand prior to the next general election. Following the discussion, Mr. Nitya indicated that Mr. Donahue was generally pleased with the country’s democratic regime.

However, the discussion did not touch on the progress of the Thai-US Free Trade Agreement (FTA).

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 14 Febuary 2007

US Chamber of Commerce is happy with Thai democracy

Foreign Affairs Minister Nitya Pibulsonggram disclosed that the United States is satisfied with Thailand’s democratic course of action.

A democratically elected government was overthrown by the military in the middle of the night and the US Chamber of Commerce is satisfied with the junta? I'm missing something here....

What democracy? A tank, some guns, and a demand that the media cover the good news about what the military dictatorship is doing!!!

I'm sorry, I thought I misunderstood. From the above, I realise we are now talking about the US gov't. :D:D:o

In a democracy aren't people supposed to vote? :D

Now come on.........

Thai people do vote, for the candidate who gives the biggest hand out. :o

Yep, no differant than political parties promising pensions linked to cost of living index if you vote for them, Better healthcare if you vote for them etc etc. The only differance between here and there is that I understand here they get those payments in return for votes and hence keep their promises whereas elswhere the promises, as usual were democratically broken!

It's great news the U.S. Chamber of Commerce is satisfied with Thailand’s democratic course of action. Now Thailand does not have to worry about the United States of America invading and bombing it's country like they do with so many other countries who disagree with them.

Edited by richard10365

In a democracy aren't people supposed to vote? :D

Now come on.........

Thai people do vote, for the candidate who gives the biggest hand out. :o

Well, and the ones who voted for TRT have voted for the sole and only political party here that has campaigned on a policy platform, and not just made empty promises but followed through with most of their major policies, such as the first universal health care system, access to loans, etc.

Problem is, that people here didn't have much of a choice, either TRT, or parties that have proven themselfes countless times already of completely ignoring the problems if the rural poor.