PM Prayut says not all Thai fish sauce products banned by US

webfact

PM says not all Thai fish sauce products banned by US

PNECO611025001000301_25102018_102707.jpg

BANGKOK, 25th October 2018 (NNT)-Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha insists that the United States has not banned all fish sauce products from Thailand, saying only those made by two manufacturers are yet to meet the standard requirements. 

Despite the Ministry of Commerce’s past advice, the manufacturers of the two particular fish sauce brands are still unable to comply with such criteria he said. The PM cited the need for the producers to improve their production methods in order for the ban to be lifted. 

Meanwhile, Foreign Minister Mr. Don Pramudwinai said he was not aware of the fish sauce ban, adding that it could have been on particular brands if the quality was not on par with the standards required.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-10-25

Would be nice to know what brands are banned. If your food products are banned in America of all places then they've got to be bad. 

Yeah I thought the same. Quite impressive actually.
But actually not I’m afraid...
Thailand has allowed plenty of American food products that are banned in many other countries, such as American beef, American pork, American boxed pasta (Kraft’s Macaroni & Cheese etc), American frozen food, American products containing artificial food dyes, American dairy products, American canned chicken products, American fat-free potato chips, American sports drinks and much more.

The reason why these products are banned elsewhere is all due to the chemicals used, such as growth hormones, synthetic hormones, arsenic, chlorine, bleach, just to mention a very few.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, ZeVonderBearz said:

Would be nice to know what brands are banned. If your food products are banned in America of all places then they've got to be bad. 

Look for the bottles that glow in the dark and make strange noises. If the US meat and dairy products are anything to go by, the ban can't be anything to do with the nutritional content. Probably infringed the laws on chemical weapons import

My understanding it was a shipment of Squid Brand, which in the US, is my least favourite. There I have either Export Tiparos (which Lao folks told me to use) or just for the halibut, I bought a bottle of Red Boat 40, which was $7, but I wanted to see what Yuppie Fish sauce tasted like.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

PM says not all Thai fish sauce products banned by US

That's it then, end of drama. If Thailand's PM - I forget the little man's name - has that great news for the fish sauce industry, I'll sleep much better tonight.

2 hours ago, HOAX said:

Yeah I thought the same. Quite impressive actually.
But actually not I’m afraid...
Thailand has allowed plenty of American food products that are banned in many other countries, such as American beef, American pork, American boxed pasta (Kraft’s Macaroni & Cheese etc), American frozen food, American products containing artificial food dyes, American dairy products, American canned chicken products, American fat-free potato chips, American sports drinks and much more.

The reason why these products are banned elsewhere is all due to the chemicals used, such as growth hormones, synthetic hormones, arsenic, chlorine, bleach, just to mention a very few.

You must be mistaken. Americans are the fittest and healthiest people on the planet... according to the movies.

I wonder how long it will take for the Thais to reach that level - judging from the kids I see at the pool, not too long.

3 minutes ago, unamazedloso said:

I don't understand fish sauce at all. Love fish and all foods and dabble a bit with cooking but personally adding what smells like a pee'd on stale fish market floor is too much for my taste.

Its just Asian Garum. Be a Legionnaire!  ????

Some of the Brands do stink though dont they?

I read a bit more and as far as I understand it is just about a missing or incomplete HACCP certification.
Nothing to worry in my opinion.
The list has manufacturers from various western countries as well.
Funny (or let's say typical for Thailand) is the one remark from the US authorities about one product from Thailand:

"Notes: Failure to respond to a Warning Letter that was issued following a violative inspection."

No response or action as usual here. Just wait and see what happens. Typical Mai pen rai attitude...

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Foreign Minister Mr. Don Pramudwinai said he was not aware of the fish sauce ban,

It looks like Foreign Minister Don is as clued-up as the rest of this government . . . zilch, nil, zero . . . ah, that's the word . . . clueless.

2 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

My understanding it was a shipment of Squid Brand, which in the US, is my least favourite. There I have either Export Tiparos (which Lao folks told me to use) or just for the halibut, I bought a bottle of Red Boat 40, which was $7, but I wanted to see what Yuppie Fish sauce tasted like.

Your in good company as shown in this video.Even my favorite Thai chef who now lives in Canada uses it and I used to buy it in Australia also for $7 but cant get it here as its from Vietnam I believe.Thai Hot Kitchen has alot of great Thai recipes for anyone interested. You wouldn't believe she was born in Hat Yai  and raised in Bangkok. Shows the benefit of going to an American International school and some exchange student time in NZ then study in the US.

On 10/25/2018 at 6:03 PM, GoFaster said:

Your in good company as shown in this video.Even my favorite Thai chef who now lives in Canada uses it and I used to buy it in Australia also for $7 but cant get it here as its from Vietnam I believe

Its from Pho Quoc is it? The place thats supposedly the artisan fish sauce capital of the world?

Alaska is loaded with Khmer, Lao-Mien and Hmong People...they apparently favour Tiparos. Filipinos liked Squid and Three Crabs Brands. White folks bought the Thai Kitchen brand at $3.99 for a tiny bottle next to the US Kikkoman Soy Sauce (of which my Japanese ex said, laughing, "only stupid gaijin use, disgusting!)

• 4 months later...
On 10/25/2018 at 7:03 AM, GoFaster said:

Your in good company as shown in this video.Even my favorite Thai chef who now lives in Canada uses it and I used to buy it in Australia also for $7 but cant get it here as its from Vietnam I believe.

When I am in Vietnam I buy Thanh Ha. About 70,000 Dong, also made in Phu Quoc, 40N, and no additives. I actually like Thanh Ha a little better than Red Boat which doesn't seem to be sold domestically in Vietnam anyway. 

Archived