Non O, Sydney vs Manila vs Singapore - Experience?

Hi all,

My non-O based on marriage expires next week and I'm going to have to leave to apply for a new one.  Last time I did it in Singapore and it was very easy (I am employed in Singapore although don't spend much time there).  This time I was thinking I could combine it with something else I need to do either in Sydney or Manila.  Does anyone have any experience in getting Non-O's there?

From searching online I have seen some bad stories about Manila and seems they can be difficult.  Haven't seen much about Sydney.  Any thoughts or experiences (positive or neagtive) would be much appreciated.

I'm am a Brit if it matters to anything.

Do you want a single or multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage? Single entry non-o visas are fairly easy to get. A bit harder to get a multiple entry non-o visa since many embassies and consulate will not issue them.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Do you want a single or multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage? Single entry non-o visas are fairly easy to get. A bit harder to get a multiple entry non-o visa since many embassies and consulate will not issue them.

Hi Ubon Joe,

A sinle entry should be good enough this time.  We have registered a company here and got BOI certification so I will be moving over to a non B based on employment.  However we are about three weeks away from completing all our registrations to be able to issue the documents for it.  Hence the need to go with another non O.

If I were to do a single entry I assume that's 90 days?  And if I do need to travel in those 90 days I would still be able to apply for a re-entry permit here in Bangkok?  If that's the case that should easily cover me.

I cannot comment on a non-imm O, but I did a new non-imm B visa following a job change in Manila several years ago. I can only say that back then, the local Filipino staff were probably the least friendly and least service-minded Thai consulate staff I have encountered. Same day service was not an option. They were meticulous and all my documents were in order, so at least I was successful in obtaining my visa there.

3 hours ago, bubba said:

I cannot comment on a non-imm O, but I did a new non-imm B visa following a job change in Manila several years ago. I can only say that back then, the local Filipino staff were probably the least friendly and least service-minded Thai consulate staff I have encountered. Same day service was not an option. They were meticulous and all my documents were in order, so at least I was successful in obtaining my visa there.

Yeah, I had heard similar stories about Manila and people getting refused.

4 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

A sinle entry should be good enough this time.  We have registered a company here and got BOI certification so I will be moving over to a non B based on employment.  However we are about three weeks away from completing all our registrations to be able to issue the documents for it.  Hence the need to go with another non O.

There is no reason to get and non-b visa and then an extension of stay based upon working. You can get a work permit with and work with a non-o visa or extension of stay based upon marriage. You can use the income from working to meet the 40k baht income requirement to apply for the extension.

You can get a single entry non-o in Sydney with out a problem. Vientiane and Savanna will issue them as well.

I would not bother trying in Manila.

4 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

f I were to do a single entry I assume that's 90 days?  And if I do need to travel in those 90 days I would still be able to apply for a re-entry permit here in Bangkok?  If that's the case that should easily cover me.

Yes it allows one 90 day entry. You could get a re-entry permit for the 90 day if you want to travel.

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

There is no reason to get and non-b visa and then an extension of stay based upon working. You can get a work permit with and work with a non-o visa or extension of stay based upon marriage. You can use the income from working to meet the 40k baht income requirement to apply for the extension.

You can get a single entry non-o in Sydney with out a problem. Vientiane and Savanna will issue them as well.

I would not bother trying in Manila.

Yes it allows one 90 day entry. You could get a re-entry permit for the 90 day if you want to travel.

Thanks, as always, for the sound advice, much appreciated.

To get an extension here i meet all the criteria, however they asked for a Kor Ror 2 as well as the Kor Ror 3.  We didn't have this so went to the ofice where we originally got married to ask for one.  Very simple.  However in the car we realised my D.O.B. in Thai was wrong.  So we went back.  They say they can't change it.  I needed to get a letter from my embassy verifying my D.O.B. (my passport would not suffice), have it translatesd to Thai, then have the translation certified by the ministry of Foreign Affairs, then go somewhere else (can't remember) to have the database corrected, then back to the district office to have a new Kor Ror 2 printed.  Then off to CW to apply for the extension.  I couldn't bear the thought of that much hassle so flew to Singapore to get a new multi entry non O which was a piece of cake.

That's why this time I'm thinking of going non B now I'm going to be back employed here.

I know ultimately, one day, I'll have to go through that process to get my DOB corrected, but I'm not ready for that just yet.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

However in the car we realised my D.O.B. in Thai was wrong.

I don't think immigration would notice your date of birth is wrong or even care about it.

It took a few year before immigration noticed my wife was wrong. But that didn't affect the application being processed. She went to the Amphoe and got it corrected later. They only did a note at the end of the Kor Ror 2 stating her correct birth date.

It seems the Amphoe just did not want to do it. 

You may find it much easier and less costly to do the extension based upon marriage than working. It takes a lot of company paperwork to get an extension based upon working.

51 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I don't think immigration would notice your date of birth is wrong or even care about it.

It took a few year before immigration noticed my wife was wrong. But that didn't affect the application being processed. She went to the Amphoe and got it corrected later. They only did a note at the end of the Kor Ror 2 stating her correct birth date.

It seems the Amphoe just did not want to do it. 

You may find it much easier and less costly to do the extension based upon marriage than working. It takes a lot of company paperwork to get an extension based upon working.

That's reassuring to hear.  I did think about trying anyway but was just imagining spending the whole day at CW, finally getting to see the officer only to have it refused on that basis, then being back to square one.

Think I may give it a go then, thanks.

19 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Yeah, I had heard similar stories about Manila and people getting refused.

I've been to Manila for my Non-Imm O visa for the past three years and I'll be going again this year in early December. I've always found the staff to be very helpful and friendly, waiting room is nice and cool and I'm usually there for a maximum of twenty minutes - submit Monday AM and collect Wednesday afternoon

Australian consulate in Sydney is very good for multi-entry non O's based on marriage - IF you can show residence in Australia . I have a British passport but had to show electricity bills and rates notice . So not really suitable if you can't produce this kind of evidence .

32 minutes ago, Iem said:

Australian consulate in Sydney is very good for multi-entry non O's based on marriage - IF you can show residence in Australia . I have a British passport but had to show electricity bills and rates notice . So not really suitable if you can't produce this kind of evidence .

Thank you that's interesting as I am leaning towards a trip to Sydney, but not if that is the case.  Do you know if that is the same requirement for a single entry?

On their website they don't mention that, only that non-Australian or non-resident applicants need to show an Australian e-visa.  https://thaiconsulatesydney.org/en/visas

Screen Shot 2018-10-27 at 12.35.05 PM.png

My Indonesian wife applied for a 90 day Non O visa at the Thai Embassy in Jakarta with a view to then get a 1 year retirement extension. Her previous annual retirement extension expired mid June.

They said that they don't issue Non O visas anymore and that she must apply for one in Thailand which she has done. Needed to do the usual "take care you" fee. (I think we all know how much that is)

I had an Evisa as I spend most of the year in Thailand . I do not have Australian residence . I have only ever applied for the multi entry 'o' visa so can't say in regard to single entry . I have owned a house in Australia which I kept solely for visits lasting several months at a time .

3 hours ago, eddi said:

My Indonesian wife applied for a 90 day Non O visa at the Thai Embassy in Jakarta with a view to then get a 1 year retirement extension. Her previous annual retirement extension expired mid June.

They said that they don't issue Non O visas anymore and that she must apply for one in Thailand which she has done. Needed to do the usual "take care you" fee. (I think we all know how much that is)

It is the same at most embassies or official consulates in a persons home country. They will not issue a non-o visa for retirement. They will only do a non-oa long stay visa.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/27/2018 at 4:40 PM, josephbloggs said:

Thank you that's interesting as I am leaning towards a trip to Sydney, but not if that is the case.  Do you know if that is the same requirement for a single entry?

On their website they don't mention that, only that non-Australian or non-resident applicants need to show an Australian e-visa.  https://thaiconsulatesydney.org/en/visas

Screen Shot 2018-10-27 at 12.35.05 PM.png

Well, I'm in Sydney and applied this morning, only to be told that they only give Non-Os to Australian residents.  That goes contrary to what it says on their website about non-resident applicants only needing to show an Aussie e-visa.  But ho hum, no non-O for me.  Instead I will receive a tourist visa.  It'll do the job for now, but just thought I would report back here in case the info is useful for anyone else considering applying in Sydney.

Edit:  I was applying for a single entry non-O.

Edited by josephbloggs
  • Like 1