Anger over restaurant's Facebook page ridiculing patrons

webfact

2 hours ago, aonangkrabi said:

The spelling "kai" is better than "gai" because the hard "g" sound does not exist in the Thai language. You just have to remember that the "k" in many languages is unaspirated (all Romanic languages and Dutch). If you want the aspirated version like the word for "egg" you just add "h".

k is not aspirated and kh is aspirated. Not difficult to remember, I guess. The same goes for t and th and for p and ph.

Transliteration to English writing is difficult as the English spelling is even inadequate for the English language too.

Best explanation :smile: 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jackdd said:

Of course what you say is right, but the "official" system that the government uses for for example street sign also transliterates to K, as for example in Khon Kaen

Jackdd I'm sorry but "the official" system isn't right and a lot of Thai language teacher know that, but you cannot change it. the thing is if you Transliterate GAI as KAI when you want to transliterate EGG or KAI how you do it? the system was born basically for road signs and international names of the towns, nothing to do with real life use of the language. Said so I still firm that who knows the language should know the difference between the 2 words and the pronunciation of the letters, the others are all excused i guess ????

59 minutes ago, MaksimMislavsky said:

K for ก and Kh for  will be equally legit and probably even more commonly used (kai for chick and khai for egg). As the basic difference is whether the sound is aspirated ( , kh) or not (ก , k), both voiceless consonants. While K and G are different in the former being voiceless and the latter voiced. Not a perfect equivalent.

absolutely not, if I'm saying Kai to somebody here, with the right tone for ไก่ nobody will understand it, you need the G sound... Anyway whatever you like, I'm communicating perfectly with Thais all over the country as I speak read and write it more than properly using G an K sounds so... peace

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MekkOne said:

the thing is if you Transliterate GAI as KAI when you want to transliterate EGG or KAI how you do it?

ข transliterates to kh, so egg would become khai, see khon kaen ????

But of course the system isn't good and there are different words which transliterate into the same

• Like 1

Late on Friday morning, Rattiyakorn issued an apology on the restaurant's Facebook page, saying she and her husband did it without intending to harm patrons.

She said she and her husband did not thoroughly think about the consequences.

It is called having consciousness, and not sleepwalking through life. It is called having a conscience, and being aware of one's actions. Now, with social media, fools are having to come to terms with the nature of their actions, and the fact that ignorant actions, dumb and callous statements, and insults can have consequences.  Egg on their faces. 

21 hours ago, observer90210 said:

The restaurant owners in Thailand are the first to moan and whime on diffamation when the poor quality of their food is exposed on social media.

In this case, the patrons who were so badly treated with such lack of respect, should make a class action defamation against the restaurant. If he makes a fool of his customers publicly, he would most probably be making a fool of them on the plate with low quality food. Definately a place to avoid.

if not mistaken theres a very famous restaurant in the west that insults patrons and many go there because of that and to enjoy and laugh.  maybe this place emulating it?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, MekkOne said:

No there are not many possibility as Chicken is written ไก่ with the letter that got the G sound if it is in the beginning of a syllable and the K sound if it is in the end of a syllable. The word ไข่ is written with the letter that has the K sound (or for Latin derivate languages C) and it doesn't matter if the letter is in the begin or the end of a syllable it never changes (but as I recall this letter is basically never used at the end of a syllable). So you got your free Thai language lesson for today.

I wish you ความ สุข with your studies.

6 hours ago, elgenon said:

please explain the difference in pronunciation. I have always experienced Thais using those spellings interchangeably.

ก    ข    ฃ    ค    ฅ    ฆ    ง    จ    ฉ    ช    ซ    ฌ    ญ
k    k̄h  ḳ̄h  kh  k̛h   ḳh   ng   c   c̄h   ch   s    c̣h    ỵ

from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_11940

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 4:46 PM, wirat69 said:

My transliteration handbook cites "kai" as an egg.... and "gai" as a chicken..... not sure which came first, kai or gai.... but ThaiVisa once agains gets the basic spelling incorrect.....

Thaivisa didn't write the article!

On 10/26/2018 at 7:59 PM, MekkOne said:

all there. 2 pictures? I want to see more...

And about the defamation AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! I don't see any face in there...

The guy with the ass like a pig might recognise himself... ???? ????

11 hours ago, Cuba said:

From reading this I don't think the restaurant defamed anyone. The restaurant took pics and put them on their Facebook page. The comments were from the owners friends.

Show me your friends and I will show you Yourself......friends are mirrors of ourselves........Im sure they saw the comments as thais seem glued to FB 24/7

On 10/26/2018 at 4:46 PM, wirat69 said:

My transliteration handbook cites "kai" as an egg.... and "gai" as a chicken..... not sure which came first, kai or gai.... but ThaiVisa once agains gets the basic spelling incorrect.....

Pedantic?

On 10/28/2018 at 8:44 AM, outsider said:

"She said she and her husband did not thoroughly think about the consequences."

"Did not thoroughly think about the consequences..."

Typical.

Didnt think would be more appropriate. Now sue them for defamation, they will think next time