Finally, a lightning rod for anger at misrule [Editorial]

webfact

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Finally, a lightning rod for anger at misrule

As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there is a twilight when everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such twilight that we all must be most aware of change in the air – however slight – lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness.” ― Supreme Court Justice William O. Douglas

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, baboon said:

Rajabhakdi park?

Praudth's brother?

The disappearing plaque?

The microphone and curtains purchase for Government House?

The submarine purchase?

Doi Suthep?

But then there are none so blind as those who will not see, so I expect you to dismiss the above as well...

Those are all peanuts compared to the billionaires.....and the submarines seem to be necessary to be taken serious at world level. Have you seen the armyexercise of the West right now? Thailand has nothing to show.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 4

7 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

"...Stoking public anger is that these same leaders are looking to return to power after the next election. 

They have rigged the system in order to do so, yet they know that it won’t be smooth sailing.

They can’t keep silencing the people, since there will always be those who dare to speak out against injustice..."

These are fine words, Nation, and I am pleased to see them in your newspaper. I would have liked to see them four years ago, but that is the past.

However, I find your editorials and the content of your paper in conflict. If you truly believe that the Junta is bad for Thailand (and I really hope you do), then why do you continually publish endless sycophantic stories from the Junta? Why do you publish the (usually three) photos depicting Prayut in a good light? Why do you print the Junta's ludicrous statements that you (and any thinking person) know are merely propaganda nonsense from the Junta?

If you truly believe your own Editorials, then you need to walk the proverbial walk and not merely talk the empty talk.

What's it going to be, Nation?

You can't continue to have it both ways...

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

God give me strength!

You are not real are you?

C'mon, lets be honest here - for all our sanity - just admit you are an unintelligent troll.

See, exactly what i thought....giving examples is above your level of intelligence..You're like my ex, starts screaming and throwing stuff if she can't win the discussion.

3 hours ago, yellowboat said:

Really now, necessary ?  Who is Thailand going to war with ?  Thailand buys weapon systems that do not even talk to each other.  They won't be that effective in a real battle with a real enemy. 

Can you imagine the grand hooha and the little troll in a real conflict?  They would capitulate so fast that  the enemy would not have a chance to load their weapons.    

a military designed with one purpose, I think it was an Economist article, to control the people and govern

no wonder all military have this opinion that the people are to stupid to vote, its part of their brainwashing, most countries the military declares its the best in the world and killing people is great.

I use the all military lightly, I mean the educated ones I have met/know, happy to enjoy democracy in the countries they were privlidged enough to study in, but not willing to bring it to their own people

I am sure there is some sense amongst the general military, those that realise gardening will not help when Burma comes to attack again

• Like 1

12 hours ago, webfact said:

But more importantly, the response to “Prathet Ku Mee…” (“My Country’s Got…”) dispels any doubt over the frustration building in Thai society after more than four years of junta rule.

But is anyone in power listening or are they denying that this rap is reflective of society overall? Unless this election is going to be strong armed, or not ever held, they should probably start opening their ears.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

The rappers should do a follow-up song. Still many topics not covered on the incompetences of the junta including economics, education, UHC, inequality and poverty after serving a term longer than constitutionally allowed and longer than all previous elected governments. 

A nice Isaan Morlum or Luk Thung style would be nice.....

13 hours ago, Thian said:

I didn't watch it cause they will use the number of viewers to not getting arrested.

So those guys want the corruption back and thailand can get a few more us$-billionaires who spend that money abroad....maybe they hope that they'll be those ones themselves?

I'm happy with the junta, they only shouldn't buy submarines but invest it in hospitals or cleaning up soidogs or so....

"Those guys want the corruption back"?   Millions of us are totally unaware that it ever left.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Jimbo in Thailand said:

I guess you're referring to the former Land of Smiles we all loved prior to May 2014?

*My bold red emphasis, not yellowboat's

Aye, Land of Grimaces seems better suited to today's clime...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, baboon said:

Aye, Land of Grimaces seems better suited to today's clime...

Number of manners in which to interpret those smiles and grimaces.

Much material and study has been explored on the enigmatic Thai facial expressions.

I really don't understand why they bother to hold elections at all, nothing changes, either the "anointed" ones or their family or nominated cronies are put in charge, the government officers continue to go to work and the farmers continue to grow their rice...nothing changes for the people! And really, who cares? The opposition make noises like beetles in a bottle, the students march and shout slogans and the media report on and give opinion on it all!

Who really cares?

12 hours ago, yellowboat said:

Do you live in a cave in Chiang Rai ?  The junta is sanitizing Thailand, making it less competitive with countries like Malaysia and Vietnam.  There are visa hassles in Thailand that are not in neighboring countries.  Neighboring countries are easier to do business in.  The junta has stifled the that made Thailand great.  I can go on for hours as to why they should just go.  Have not even touched on the political issues.

The junta stopped the bombings and shootings in BKK....so now tourists can feel safe here again...so that makes the country much more competitive or would you think the tourists like to get shot?

Visa hassles are here since i can remember...and those are needed to keep the bad ones out..

You're free to go to Vietnam or Malaysia, the junta won't stop you.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

Your statement is an outrageous INSULT to the average Thai who acted   peacefully.  The whole point of the coup was to marginalize the Shinawatras, nothing more.  Now Thailand is stuck with something far far worse.

Never noticed any bad people.  More delusions or taking credit for solving a problem that was not a problem.  The junta is good at that. 

It is happening now.  Ex patriots jobs are at a low.  Many retirees are doing as you suggest.  They are looking seriously at Vietnam, as Thailand has just gotten boring under the jackboots.  If I did not have business here or friends here, I would NOT be here. 

Boring autocracy is what is killing Thailand

What a sad little Malcontent you are. Just scanned his postings from Sep 2014, go look everyone.!.

42 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

What a sad little Malcontent you are. Just scanned his postings from Sep 2014, go look everyone.!.

What is SAD are people like you that have nothing better to do than read over 6,000 postings.  That is the definition of SAD.   Get a hobby or a girlfriend or something.

• Like 1