What About Aquaculture?

altman

at one time i had a small (very small home scale, not commercial) aquaculture setup. it basically reused the same water but with the addition of chemical fertilizer. the plants roots were exposed, i.e. they were not 'planted' but contained in containers of loose rock with the water flowing aroound the roots.

for small crops, tomatoes, etc this seems to work well.

anything like this being done in thailand?

i ask because of the questions being asked about water filtration. with this method the same water could be reused for quite a time before more water had to be filtered and supplied. the disadvantage is cost of fertilizer.

There's a lot of aquaculture in Thailand and worldwide it is the fastest growing food production sector, however it sounds like you are talking about hydroponics as aquaculture is normally defined as the farming of aquatic species.

University of Virgin Islands have an interesting approach that they call 'aquaponics' which combines tank based aquaculture of tilapia with hydroponics for locations with limited water resources, you can google for details.

http://en.bangsaiagro.com/ has information about a Thai operation though I couldn't comment on the extent of local production.

My niece has a Thai degree in aquaculture. She's never worked in that field since graduation. I don't know if that says anything about tthe use of aquaculture.

She now works as an orbitor (sp). :o

If we are talking hydroculture then yes, a lot of businesses

J