British Tourist Duped by Nonexistent Hotel on Thai Island

webfact

56 minutes ago, petermik said:

13,000 baht for a 59 night stay....that should have raised a red flag from the start :whistling:

Why?

I rent a couple of one bedroom Thai houses for 3,000 baht a month each. Price went up this year from 2,500 baht per month.

Personally I would not want to live in one but staff are quite happy to stay there.

1 hour ago, webfact said:

the supposed one-bedroom house

7 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

Why?

I rent a couple of one bedroom Thai houses for 3,000 baht a month each. Price went up this year from 2,500 baht per month.

Personally I would not want to live in one but staff are quite happy to stay there.

There are village houses nearby to me going for 1,000 baht per month...but we are not talking about village houses it`s about a Holiday Rental in a Tourist Island......

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, petermik said:

There are village houses nearby to me going for 1,000 baht per month...but we are not talking about village houses it`s about a Holiday Rental in a Tourist Island......

Err - I live on that tourist island.

That is where the houses are. Anyone can rent and do rent those houses. There are cheaper ones but I picked these two because they are near where we work.

As I said, not my cup of tea and the backpackers would be put off because there is no wifi. One has a/c and one is fan only.

220 baht a night ? what was he expecting ? so he could have stayed there but chose not to.

After this unpleasant surprise, Parke had to hastily arrange alternative accommodations, spending an enormous £3,044. However, due to high demand, Parke had to shift to a third hotel, costing him an additional £3,579.

Parke booked a 59-night stay at the apparent Lek Lek Residence on Koh Samui through Booking.com, paying £282 (around 13,000 baht).

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, BusNo8 said:

It's seems ok price for what he booked.

I'm wondering what constitutes the fraud? Were there photos of some snazzy hotel/resort?

I've found booking pretty good to deal with aftermath of dubious accomodations

Seems like he was complaining because it wasn't a hotel  as advertised and it was just rooms available .

After this unpleasant surprise, Parke had to hastily arrange alternative accommodations, spending an enormous £3,044. However, due to high demand, Parke had to shift to a third hotel, costing him an additional £3,579.

This story just gets more confusing the more times I read it.

Who in their right mind would pay 315,000 baht for 2 nights accommodation?

160k Baht a night is there actually any accommodation on Samui that would cost that or Anywhere in Thailand come to that. This sight just gets worse. 

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

Photo courtesy of Wikipedia

A British tourist, Glen Parke, has been ensnared in a huge hotel scam while on holiday in Thailand. Parke booked a 59-night stay at the apparent Lek Lek Residence on Koh Samui through Booking.com, paying £282 (around 13,000 baht).

On arrival, he found that the supposed one-bedroom house was in fact just a small roadside shop.

Despite their initial promises, Booking.com drew out the reimbursement process leading to Parke's expenditures escalating to £7,000 in the first two nights alone.

After weeks of dispute, Parke finally received his refund after inquiries from media outlets. Booking.com expressed regret over the unfortunate incident, blaming procedural errors for the delay and ensuring measures for future prevention.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-04-27

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

And...? What is it about? The Brit got his money back and got adventurous holidays. 🤣

17,000 + rental rooms

and this is the best he can do??

119,000 baht paid, twice, for long term rental??? And second rental takes all money and then says too much demand??? But holds on to money till forced to return???

Scams all about. Seems like Booking is not running too well. Or getting played by locals 

40 minutes ago, IamNoone88 said:

The figures quoted in this article makes no sense. In fact the whole article is frankly ridiculous.

Many articles here on AN are, before it was brought by Thaiger  at least we could blame the useless translations, but a Webfact it is not. Maybe a Danish translation by George..... :giggle:

Edited by brianthainess
  • Agree 2